Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Locksmith Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rigglet
I've been calling around to some local locksmiths today because my rear trunk is locked and I do not have a key for it. I have the master key to my car, as well as a valet key. The opens the front trunk, doors, ignition, and glove box. But not the rear trunk. My assumption is that the rear is keyed differently than the front.

So I am asking these locksmiths if they can open the rear trunk and they all give me the same story. We can come out and create a key (best estimate for this....$95+). This is not an option as I plan to re-key the lock to match so i don't have multiple keys for the car. The other option is they can drill out the lock. Again, not really an option as this now leaves me without a locked rear trunk and still no key. headbang.gif

Has anyone ever had the rear trunk on their teener opened by a locksmith? Is it really as difficult as these guys are making it sound? Or are they just a bunch of hillbillies that don't want to spend the time?

Also, my assumption is that once it is unlocked I could leave it unlocked until I get it re-keyed. Is this a true assumption?

Thanks everyone!
Bartlett 914
I can't say about locksmiths.

You may be able open the trunk in one of 2 ways. Both require a lot of 1/4 extensions. Go through the plastic cups that are for the targa top latches in the front of the trunk. There are 2 screws holding the latch in place. It may be easier to remove a tail light using the same method. Once the tail light is out you may be able to remove the latch. Markb has a nice thread on re-keying locks.
Beamer13
also, make sure it's not just seized. I had that happen to me on two of my vehicles. Go get some PB Blast put your key in and spray the SH*$ out of it! then just be patient and try working the key back and forth gently! I got all of my locks and such working this way.
Beamer13
also, make sure it's not just seized. I had that happen to me on two of my vehicles. Go get some PB Blast put your key in and spray the SH*$ out of it! then just be patient and try working the key back and forth gently! I got all of my locks and such working this way.
geniusanthony
I want to say that you can remove the trunk lid from the engine compartment...This may be one option if the locks are infact not seized and you dont have the correct key. Have you ever had the trunk open? A little history may help here.

Drilling the lock may not be so bad either as a parts car lock may be an easy alternative. Others should probably chime in on this however.
rigglet
Well there is good news and bad news to report.

Good news....The PB Blast worked like a charm. The lock is now able to turn. It turns 1/.4 turn to the left, from the former vertical position. Since I have never been able to turn the lock I am assuming that is the full movement for this lock.

Bad news....even though the lock turns the trunk won't open. I would have to assume the release mechanism is either broken, or stuck as well.

My guess is my only option is to remove the latch from the engine compartment. I know I need a long series of extensions, but can anyone tell me what the bolt/nut size is that I will be trying to get to? I would assume either 10mm or 13mm as those are both pretty standard on these, but as soon as I assume I will strip something out and cause myself even more grief.

But if anyone has an alternate suggestion, I am all ears. biggrin.gif

Thanks all for the input.
Cap'n Krusty
6mm bolts (10mm wrench size). Best to have either lock together extensions or ones in near-new condition. About 4 feet of them ........... The Cap'n
PanelBilly
I used to need to press down on the trunk to take the load off of the lock before it would release.
Jeffs9146
You can drill a 1/4" hole under the lock in the floor of the trunk and use a coat hanger to pull the release on the trunk!!

rigglet
Thanks guys. Is that a picture of the mechanism? It looks like one of the ones used for keyless entry. If that is not a standard mechanism, does anyone have a picture of the lock mechanism inside the trunk? That way I know what I am looking for while not looking through a tiny hole in the engine compartment. laugh.gif
rigglet
Nobody has a picture of the mechanism?

I've never seen a situation where there wasn't somebody who had a picture of something...no matter how obscure. sad.gif
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rigglet @ May 19 2008, 12:04 PM) *

Nobody has a picture of the mechanism?

I've never seen a situation where there wasn't somebody who had a picture of something...no matter how obscure. sad.gif

Troy

That is the mechanism but it also has a solenoid for using an electric release. When the PORSCHE reflector is used between the tail light, the button to open the trunk is covered. The mechanism is the part with the 2 screws (10mm hex head) without the solenoid. If you opt to use a 1/4" drive going through the targa latch pockets, make sure the extensions are taped together. I have heard of others trying this only to have the sections come apart. I was wrong in my earlier post about removing the tail light. I don't think you will be able to get a wrench on it.
Bartlett 914
I do not have enough extensions to show but here are some pictures with a rod and a socket taped t the end. I am sure this is a PITB. Lots of luck.
6freak
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 19 2008, 02:44 PM) *

I do not have enough extensions to show but here are some pictures with a rod and a socket taped t the end. I am sure this is a PITB. Lots of luck.

IS ANYONE IN THE TRUNK av-943.gif sorry had to do it ...good luck
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(6freak @ May 19 2008, 01:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 19 2008, 02:44 PM) *

IS ANYONE IN THE TRUNK av-943.gif sorry had to do it ...good luck

Dead person was removed for picture clarity. rolleyes.gif
rigglet
Mark,

Thanks so much for the pictures. They definitely give a much clearer picture of how to do this. I plan on making sure I have extra extensions...just in case. laugh.gif

Also, my kids swear there is a dead body in the trunk of mine. They say the mob has made it so the trunk won't open. w00t.gif
Bartlett 914
Your welcome.

Is the top in the trunk? I hope not. I think this will be difficult enough on it's own. With the top in there...I doubt it can be done. If the top is in there, I think you will be drilling out the lock.
rigglet
Luckily the top is not in there. I am, however, looking forward to storing the top in there. Up to this point I've had to make sure I wasn't going anywhere that I would need the top or else I would have to drive with the top on...even if the weather was nice.
sww914
If you've never opened the trunk, you don't know for sure that there isn't a top in there. biggrin.gif
There may or may not be a top in there or both conditions could simultaneously occur.
Schrodinger's cat- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger's_cat
Dr. Roger
Something like this?

larger the hole the easier time you'll have.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.