914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ppickerell
I have a perfect condition 1967 Gibson SG Special
whammy bar with white plastc handle
pearl dots
large pickguard

Whats it worth?
redshift
If it's all original, and clean, but played, at least $1,200.00. Case needs to be right also, down from there, and up to around 2x that for a very, very clean one.

Short vibro, P-90, big assed neck.

Crankin'.

M
ChrisReale
I like the sound of p-90's. Play that through my old Brown Pro with a JBL D-130 turned up to about 8 boldblue.gif
redshift
Cool amp! smilie_pokal.gif

P-90s bark, they have a much more defined tone than a humbucker. I played them all thru the 80's when guys were cutting their guitars up.

Ever played a LP custom, with an Alnico, and a P-90?

M
ppickerell
Has original 48 page color catalog with an inscription Aug 1968 For my birthday Gibson SG Special. It was purchased by a family friend in St. Joseph Missouri. It also has an old capo and a 8X11 single page product bulletin "Fender Facts" Issue 15 dated November 1967 with the ink stamp of the store. Flawless!
redshift
Hey, I'd love to see pics of that one!

smile.gif

Hurry!

M
markb
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 20 2004, 07:10 PM)
Hey, I'd love to see pics of that one!

smile.gif

Hurry!

M

agree.gif
ChrisReale
My Dr Z amp has two celistion silver alnico's pulled out of a 1959 vox cabinet. Huge alnico magnet on them (2x12") I like my G&L Legacy strat through it smilie_pokal.gif
ppickerell
I play a Custom shop strat (62 reissue) that is soooooo sweeeeeet I can't play the SG and am selling it for what I paid for it ($500) because I can't stand to see it gathering dust. He is a lucky man. Pix in about 10 minutes unless dinner is ready in between times.
redshift
If it's straight, I'll take it for $500

M
Eric_Shea
Dr. Z double review (Maserati and Z-28) in the March issue of GP.

SG sounds like a good one. Soapbars rule...
JerryP
Patrick,

I think redshift is about right. I have a '68 SG. Mine has the thinner neck and big chrome bridge plate with the Gibson harp symbol engraved in it. I've seen it on ES models but only a few SG's. Most dealer books have it between $1200 and $1800 with original case. Mine is not for sale but the manager at the music store where I teach keeps $800 cash in his office with my name on it, hoping I crack a head on the 914 so he can steal it.

My SG sat for years as I became more comfortable beating up on my strats but now I've grown to really like it again. These guitars fell out of favor for a few years but seem to be back in again. They sell a lot of the new ones and reissues where I work but they all have the thicker Les Paul Studio type necks...not quite the same animal anymore IMHO. $500 is a steal if that thing is original and straight.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(JerryP @ Jan 21 2004, 05:02 AM)
[ ]

welcome to the board !

i'd like to invite you to the Riesentöter Region PCA meeting being held this coming Wednesday (Jan 28, 2004 - in case someone is reading this some time in the future :-) ...)

we can always use a few more 914 types ! (i've been working on Vortrex but so far he has resisted ...)

Riesentöter Region website
Neal
I'm a drummer so don't hold this against me but didn't Carlos Santana and Angus Young (AC/DC) play SG's. Seems to me they have a very piercing tone which is their signiture. I am thinking Carlos playing Europa, gives me goosebumps !

Neal
JerryP
Thanks Rich. I've been meaning to check out one of those meetings but working until 8:30pm seems to always get in the way. This one is in my neck of the woods though, so maybe I'll try to sneak out extra early.
Eric_Shea
Hey Rich... what the h*&% do you think you're doing talking Porsches in a guitar thread? Why don't you take that stuff over to the 914clu... oh, nevermind blink.gif

laugh.gif beerchug.gif

Neal, everytime I go to the office I see that shot of Carlos playing the SG in the studio. No shirt, sweat'n and jamm'n. Jim Marshall took the pic (not that Jim Marshall).

Speaking of "that" Jim Marshall. I hooked up with him at NAMM and got him to sign a copy of his new book. (figured I'd better hurry... he ain't gett'n any younger).

Miles, I've got a Hendrix special issue for you... should have put it in the same envelope but I was on my way out the door and forgot... doooh!
ninefourteener
Wow.. finally a topic I know something about.... other than my miniscule knowledge of teeners.

I'm a 16 year guitar player, and certified instructor (I do it as a side job). Although my tastes generally revolve around both modern and classic Ibanez'... I know a descent Gibson when I see one. Pics really would help out a lot here.

But judging from what you said, I'd agree with $1000 to $1300 for the guitar. If you have the ORIGINAL case for it, thats a HUGE plus. Cases are just as hard to find as the guitars. If you do, and it's in the same condition, you can tack $200-300 onto the top of it.

My advice? Check out e-bay. Wait till the END of the auctions and see what they go for. DON'T SELL IT NOW!! E-bay sellers are sucking now cause everyone's broke after X-mas, and no one has gotten their taxes back yet. Wait till March or April, and get the best price for it.

Oh yea... and you're forgiven for choosing a Gibson over an Ibanez smile.gif

Rock on beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Ever shop at Danny's place in St. Charles?

BTW... what's an Ibanez? confused24.gif w00t.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 21 2004, 11:30 AM)
Hey Rich... what the h*&% do you think you're doing talking Porsches in a guitar thread?

obligatory guitar content - i once had a Fender Squeier (boy, -that- doesn't look spelled right ...) - replaced the top pickups with FenderLace silvers, the humbucker with some kinda Seymour Duncan, replaced the tone control with - i forgot - whatever that active peak/notch gizmo (wah circuit) Reeves Gabrels was pushing... bought a Floyd Rose locking trem but never installed it... sold the lot with a hard case and nice 25W Fender transistor amp with chorus & echo during one of the poverty phases.

still have a Steinberger Spirit and Fender Bassman 70 with a single 15" speaker cab that's not even in the "everything there is to know about Fender" book, so i donno what i've got, really... sounds nice, some day i'll hafta get the 4x12 cab i've always wanted - except i haven't lit up the amp nor touched the guitar in at least a year so i figure there's no hurry - and all my "spare" time and money are going into the 911...

still have a Yahama 12-string acoustic i bought in 1967. and the usual pedal box rack of Dod effects plus a couple others from here and there.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 21 2004, 11:42 AM)
Ever shop at Danny's place in St. Charles?

BTW... what's an Ibanez? confused24.gif w00t.gif

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!!!! ar15.gif

My personal collection:
2000 Ibanez S1620FB Prestige
1992 Ibanez RG570
2003 Ibanez SZ 530BBE
1978 Ibanez Artist
1979 Ibanez Iceman

Now THOSE are guitars...... "boy"--LOL

beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
still have a Steinberger Spirit and Fender Bassman 70 with a single 15" speaker cab...

You're forgiven...
ninefourteener
Here's a couple of them....... not all of them made it to the pic though.

ALL ARE IBANEZ smilie_pokal.gif
Eric_Shea
2000 Ibanez S1620FB Prestige
1992 Ibanez RG570
2003 Ibanez SZ 530BBE
1978 Ibanez Artist
1979 Ibanez Iceman

You're not however! lol3.gif

I was the Laney distributor back in the late 80's. The Richie Kotzen, Blues Saraceno, Vinnie Moore days. I did a lot of work with Bill Cummiskey (now at Fender) and Bill Reim (now the President of Ibanez USA). Bill Reim was the art director back then. Saw those guys Sunday. Everyone is doing well... you guys and yur git-tars are a hoot.

Let's stir it up a bit. Patrick; get the screwdriver and carve that thing out for some Humbuckers. What are those Duncan's with the big ole hex screws...(forgot)?? Throw those in there. Put a Floyd on there and some Schallers... should be a smoke'n guitar once all the mods are done.
Eric_Shea
Invaders... had a senior moment there.
ninefourteener
Well damn..... tell your guy over at Ibanez that you know a guy that collects his shit... and he needs some free-bees--LOL

Rock on beerchug.gif
Eric_Shea
Already told them... they have a shipment ready to leave. They just need your address! unsure.gif
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 21 2004, 12:02 PM)

Let's stir it up a bit. Patrick; get the screwdriver and carve that thing out for some Humbuckers. What are those Duncan's with the big ole hex screws...(forgot)?? Throw those in there. Put a Floyd on there and some Schallers... should be a smoke'n guitar once all the mods are done.

Hell yea.... route it out for a couple humbuckers, drop a dimarzio twin rail single coil between them...... Throw an EMG 81 up front, A seymour Duncan Screamin Demon in the back....... A low-pro double edged tremolo..... then scallop the neck.. HELL YEA!!

Wait.... go all out..... paint it PURPLE beerchug.gif

Ok.. so it'l only be worth 10 bucks, and the Gibson nuts will probably lynch you at the grocery store.. but who cares!?!?
Neal
My daughter just turned 16 on the 19'th and she got an Ibanez bass and a Crate amp. She want's to be the next great female bassist.

Neal
ninefourteener
QUOTE(Neal @ Jan 21 2004, 12:11 PM)
My daughter just turned 16 on the 19'th and she got an Ibanez bass and a Crate amp. She want's to be the next great female bassist.

Neal

Rock ON!! Thats awesome...... too many women get discouraged by an industry dominated by men.

ENCOURAGE HER!!

Buy her the latest album by the Donnas smile.gif
JerryP
Got any TYPE-R stickers on those Ibanez's? happy11.gif

---just kidding. I admit I've had a couple Roadstar's along the way.
ninefourteener
QUOTE(JerryP @ Jan 21 2004, 12:17 PM)
Got any TYPE-R stickers on those Ibanez's? happy11.gif

---just kidding. I admit I've had a couple Roadstar's along the way.

Oh that just aint right--LOL

beerchug.gif
krk
Just add'n support:

Ibanez Artstar (no clue of year -- plays nice tho... kinda makes me wish I did laugh.gif)
Mexican Fender Tele (no clue either)

kim aka "mr no clue"
redshift
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 21 2004, 02:30 PM)
Miles, I've got a Hendrix special issue for you... should have put it in the same envelope but I was on my way out the door and forgot... doooh!

No biggie, I was supposed to be somewhere 13 minutes ago. Hendrix.... finally, I get some respect around here! Oh... you mean 'him'..

That centerfold offer is still out there, just let me know. cool_shades.gif

I used to have an Ibanez artist endorsement (rg 540s) I'd scallop the fingerboards til there was barely anything but a tongue depressor, spin the guitars, and throw them in a pile at the end of the show, I used at least one neck a week, until I ran them out of stock.

I have 30 some guitars, mostly Les Pauls.

Guitars for sale!

M
ppickerell
I let my brother in law walk away with it for $500 because he is such a cool guy. He can only sell it back to me though. The only Closed Ebay auction priced it at $1200 so he got a ripper deal. Last I saw him he was practising the Townsend windmill in the mirror. Thanks for the tips folks. Strats forever!
redshift
WHATEVER!

Tell him I have $600 with his name on it... I'll pay $700 if you can get it back.

laugh.gif

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.