Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tony's progress pages, resumed...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
geniusanthony
So gang, I will be returning to the PNW in the upcoming week and change and would like to organize a party for those intersested to finish a few :laugh: items on my 71.

Things on the list include-
*Final smoothing /matching of rear soft flares
*Replacing 71 seats with 72+ cores for the meanwhile, I am sourcing the components presently and have one lead.
*Welding in replacement section for the hellhole area. This is also being sourced.
*filling front marker holes.
*Lastly the bodywork and engine bay cleaned, smoothed and sprayed.
*Hang FB bumpers front and rear. Still need these however.

Prior to my deployment I had the exterior stripped to bare metal and worked the rear fenders. As time ran short I covered the body via rattle can enamel which seemed a good idea at the time. It should sand off fairly easily. and the car has been under a cover in my garage since then (A year as of yesterday)Regrettably I do not have a current pic to aid us.

The end state I am shooting for is to bring the car back to presentable condition as I will be moving to VA in July for my next service school.

Facilities available to me are the hobby-shop on Ft Lewis(tacoma area). If anyone has a better venue available it would be most appreciated. Laying the material is the most problematic to working here as regulations, scheduling, etc.. would affect the timetable. We are also not able to actually use the equipment, the foreman does all spraying. I see this as a problem but i may be wrong.

If interested please post below and perhaps amongst us local guys this may actually work. I am not striving for a marathon build as that would be unrealistic with family duties, it does seem reasonable that in maybe 2-3 weekends a group of several could make some awesome progress.

Thanks gang!!
Edit
found one old pic from somewhere in the middle of last years stretching session
Click to view attachment
PanelBilly
See your PM
PeeGreen 914
Love to help if I can. I really don't know much about body work, but I will do anything to help. Let me know.
anderssj
Nice work on the soft fenders!

Where is the school in VA--Ft. Eustis? Will you bring the car with you?
What will you be doing to the car when you move east?

Ft. Eustis has a pretty good auto craft shop (great manager!), but no paint facility. The shop at Langley AFB has a paint booth, but I think their painter has to do the work (I can check on this later).

There are few teeners in the area--if you're coming this way, is there anything you need "advance party"-wise?

geniusanthony
PanelBilly-reply sent
Jon-I appreciate your eagerness. We will have to meet up one day
Steve-Your compliment makes the 40ish hours worthwhile. The move will be taking me 30 min outside of DC, in Ft Belvoir. Sometime by late July I should be there.

Gint
Welcome home icon_bump.gif
geniusanthony
And I'm back.

Anyone from tacoma area want to link up this weekend?

What I have in mind is some minor welding on front corner light holes and inner door metal repair..
Allan
QUOTE(Gint @ May 15 2008, 03:25 PM) *

Welcome home icon_bump.gif

agree.gif

Glad your back...
rhodyguy
sending a pm.
geniusanthony
Some progress today, no pics but I met Kevin and Jack in the afternoon and bought a little mig welder. Proceeded to weld a little tear in my front trunk pan. tomorrow I get to play with the inner door support rattles.
championgt1
Good luck with the welding. welder.gif It was nice to meet you.
PeeGreen 914
I'd love to help next weeked if I can. I have an open house on a listing I have in Renton on Saturday and could come down after that if you would like.
roadster fan
Glad you are home, welcome back!!!!! flag.gif

Jim
geniusanthony
Been a few days but have been pluggin away. I have filled my side marker holes and actually looked at my hellhole and longs. Pics and photos to follow.

Question I have is, how many layers are the sides of my longs? Under the jack post I pealed away, the jack post suround, and one layer of metal beneath that. doesnt seem right to me, but I am sure the pics will clarify my wording. gauge of these pieces would be good to know also if you know.

Tony
geniusanthony
In the last week I have cleaned and replaced my hellhole metal,
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
cleaned and patched a 2 x 3 " area of the long,
Click to view attachment
and broken one of the Vitalonis i got from Jim H.
Click to view attachment
The SPA brackets(?) that pegasus sells are about perfect, just gotto find a way to thread the ball stud into the mirror body..maybe fiberglass and a nut or something.. It was a 5/8 balllstud before I had snapped the base/
Also started filling my side markers and fixing the inner supports for the driver vent window. I could not take the rattle anymore when shutting the door.

Pics below
geniusanthony
I am still waiting for an engine shelf but it feels good to know that my frame is solid now. Fender stuff is on other cam. will post later.

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
anthony, i see you sourced a bat tray. you really need to secure the bat. if you need a stock bat clamp (you'll have to modify to fit the optima) i have one for you. let me know.

k
geniusanthony
Today I finished up my side marker holes and mounted the Vitaloni flags I got from Jim H. onto the Spa bases.
side marker patch made.
Click to view attachment

this is the old base, new base and the surgery patient
Click to view attachment

This is the roughened up ball socket that I will fill with epoxy and the nut/bolt assembly pictured..the screw will be removed once set.
Click to view attachment
geniusanthony
The filled/ threaded sockets
Click to view attachment

The completed assemblies, I blue locktited the ball stud into the mirror, and lithium greased the ball in the mount. There is a large setscrew in the base to lock it down completely the grease gives it that little bit of adjustment so the stud won't loosen in the mirror.
Click to view attachment

mounted , side marker filling done
Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
the new welder seems to be working out for you tony.
geniusanthony
staying busy I guess...I'll give you a call this week sometime , maybe tomorrow if theres a gathering..:shrug:
jim_hoyland
Looking Good ! smile.gif
geniusanthony
Since my last post about a year ago.. wow, I have done alot of side projects and can post some pics later.
I have as of this evening rebuilt the front end from the crash damage of January this year and stripped all of the filler off the body.
The cool things I have done that I wish I had pics of are-
New seats, corduray door panels and dash face, built a console from the plans on the french site, added a stereo and koni suspension.
So, spelled out like that it looks like I have done way more than I feel like I have accomplished in those six months.

Before I get the TTIWLWOP streamers flowing in I will take pics tomorrow when I get to the shop.

As I get the body finished this weekend I found that I am missing my driver side headlight cover. If anyone in the DC area has one that I could buy off ya this weekend that would be awesome. 2068504602 is my telly #.

The scheme that I am spraying is the Silver/Phoenix Red creamsicle that I have been tossing around forever and have posted as a photoshop in the past.
geniusanthony
Click to view attachment
This is the scheme I am doing though the silver is of course off a bit, as is the red. I have also bought the Getty bumper set w/ GT valence so those will be going on as well.
geniusanthony
Right now my wheels have polished lips and paddles but on a black background.. I really dont want to go to the effort of stripping and repainting if that would be too much red. What do you all think about the trim color matched wheel backgrounds? Is it too much or does it flow well with the scheme?
poorsche914
QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Jul 3 2009, 02:08 AM) *

Right now my wheels have polished lips and paddles but on a black background.. I really dont want to go to the effort of stripping and repainting if that would be too much red. What do you all think about the trim color matched wheel backgrounds? Is it too much or does it flow well with the scheme?

Go with the color match. I have a silver 914 and have been thinking of painting the centers of my Mahles to add some color to the car.
geniusanthony
Fresh outta paint, by myself. The colors are Silverstone Metallic (by Honda) and Phoenix red. I think that the phoenix red didn't come quite right as the mixer did not have the one of the correct lead substitute colors, just something that was stated to be a replacement just not THE replacement.. I still need to clean all the dust out of the inside and engine but I am pretty happy with my work being my first time and all. Recall the accident from December when I was parked and you can see what took a little bit of time.

_Still left is to fit the rear fiberglass bumper and the wheel centers in trim color.. and some side stripes.

I am anxious to hear your thoughts as the orange is a bit louder than I had intended.
iamchappy
I think it looks great!
Sleepin
Very nice!!
r_towle
very nice job.
The colors work great....paint the wheels like your photoshop...

Rich
championgt1
That looks really good. smilie_pokal.gif Are you back in the PNW?
914four
Cool paint scheme!
carr914
It looks very Nice beerchug.gif

T.C.
Zaney
Glad to see this paint scheme in a photo! I plan on doing something fairly similar to this. I am going to use the original metallic silver paint color and the phoenix red for the bumpers/rockers/and 5-lug fuchs.

I think for my fuchs I will combine the color background with RSR-look pedals. We will see...

Looks awesome! beer.gif

Nate
geniusanthony
Does anyone have advice on painting the centers? I would think that there would be a mask available for the petals.
charliew
You can probably make a pattern of one petal and go to a vinyl graphics shop and they can make 20 exactly alike for masking. Or just do it the hard way like most everyone else with masking tape. To keep them all the same you can make a paper pattern to tape around.
geniusanthony
OK, I will try doin the wheels this week.
Today I am cleaning up all the trim and the interior before I show shots of it.
Do you suppose polished trim or blacked out trim would look best with this car?
Zaney
I vote Satin black for all the trim!
beerchug.gif
Nate
TravisNeff
Looks great, I like the monster driving lights too.
geniusanthony
I have been fitting cleaning time into my evenings since I brought her home. When I get all the paint dust boogies out I will post some shot of the corduroy interior and radio stuff that I squeezed in. I have played hell today fitting new window squeegees(sp) in. There is still 6 inches of seal sticking out on the pass door while I let my fingers heal/regain strength. I have had some requests to post some shots of my work on the rear quarters which I will put up as well. The phoenix is quite bright in the daylight, the two above were at like 6 am before work that day.
nsr-jamie
Thats a beautiful car, I like it better without the logos on the side...the wheels are nice just how they are but would be sweet painted...very cool car!!
kfish914
What driving lights are you using? they look cool, i would like to do that to mine.
That color combo is very nice, looks great.
Here is a pic from the internet I had.
attachmentid=185282]
kfish914
let's try that picture again.

Click to view attachment
Zaney
Now that is HOT!
The only change I would make is painting the background in the Fuchs Phoenix Red too. Leave the pedals the body color.
idea.gif Gives me more options when it comes time to paint mine.
geniusanthony
The lights are Hella 500's with the mounts welded about 2ish inches inboard. I really like that GT that you posted above.
Shortly I will go take a few pics after that seal goes in.
geniusanthony
I thought I had all my cleanup done but here is what I did with the interior
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
All black corduroy on the dash face and door panels. the speaker pods from Morph were padded and vinyled by myself and was a PITA to get even half right. The few flaws I built in were oriented to the backside of the pods. I had to make the door cores using 1/4 inch outdoor ply and it worked out quite well. The threads on this site were helpful in building those and covering them.
I have yet to decide on door pulls and still have the original armrests in good shape so I may dig em out someday to look.
My question about door pulls, Do the GT/Fiat parts have a good feel to them or do they feel "cheap"?
geniusanthony
The audio components that I chose were to keep the dash face uncluttered and mostly hidden from prying eyes. I may need to get some black nylon or something over the subwoofer cone, the speaker store stuff looks like garbage usually. I had to cut away the console to clear the amp just a little, It wasn't original, I built it from the plans on the french site. So the only input is by headphone jack to ipod or whatever. That headphone jack has RCA ouputs on the other side with Y's on each plug to feed all 4 amp inputs.
Click to view attachment
All told the amp is a 75x4 Alpine with 3&4 bridged to feed 200w to a 4ohm Kicker 8. At more than half volume on the mp3 player it is more than loud enough.
geniusanthony
Some different views of the rear flares, as finished as I wanted to get them.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Also shown is the muffler that I made with a chambered muffler from FLAPS and some resonated tips. Behind that is a Patrick MS 4->1 header. Sounds nice with a healthy burble at idle.
Click to view attachment
ghuff
I like it......

It looks good with that color combo.
jsayre914
your car looks sweeeet! biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.