Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are my tranny mounts shot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cevan
I noticed the other day that if I grab my exhaust and lift up and down, I can see the tranny ears move very slightly up and down within the tranny mount. Is any amount of movement acceptable? I would assume some movement is ok given that it is a rubber mount. How do I know when they need replacing?

If they do need replacing, I see most folks replace them with the 911 Sport mount. I see that Pelican sells two different ones (911-375-043-07-M61 and 911-375-043-07-M127). Is there are difference between the two?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 13 2008, 10:57 AM) *

I noticed the other day that if I grab my exhaust and lift up and down, I can see the tranny ears move very slightly up and down within the tranny mount. Is any amount of movement acceptable? I would assume some movement is ok given that it is a rubber mount. How do I know when they need replacing?

If they do need replacing, I see most folks replace them with the 911 Sport mount. I see that Pelican sells two different ones (911-375-043-07-M61 and 911-375-043-07-M127). Is there are difference between the two?

take one out and inspect them. if the rubber has cracks, get new ones ...

the two listed at pelican are the same, just different manufacturers. i used the "Meistersatz" on my car, so far, so good ...

bye1.gif Andy
purple
mine were cracked through on 2 out of 4 connectors on both sides.

I got the windrush evo stainless/aluminum semi-solid mounts. They are gorgeous pieces and have made shifting very tight as well. Spend the money and get the best!
ericread
My transmission mounts looked fine, until I removed them.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Definitely not a safe suituation. I replaced them with the 911 sport mounts. driving.gif
purple
Eric, that's exactly hat mine looked like!

I have read that the 911 sport mounts arent the best for the 914. Dunno why not, but that's what I hear... anyone care to shed some light?
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ May 13 2008, 12:39 PM) *

Eric, that's exactly hat mine looked like!

I have read that the 911 sport mounts arent the best for the 914. Dunno why not, but that's what I hear... anyone care to shed some light?

I believe it's because the sport mounts weren't really designed for a transmission to hang from. But I don't know anybody that's having problems with them.

I guess I should really save up and get the WEVO mounts. They are truely engineered for the stresses of the hanging weight.
Cevan
I just put my motor/tranny back in the car in March. I recall cleaning up the mounts before installing them and would have noticed if the rubber was cracked. Assuming no cracks, is a little bit of movement normal?
ericread
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 13 2008, 12:43 PM) *

I just put my motor/tranny back in the car in March. I recall cleaning up the mounts before installing them and would have noticed if the rubber was cracked. Assuming no cracks, is a little bit of movement normal?

Yes, a small amount of movement is normal for the rubber-based mounts.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 13 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Assuming no cracks, is a little bit of movement normal?

yes, but i would double check. just put a floor jack under the tranny and losen the bolts on the mounts and drop the jack just enough to get the mounts out.

quick and easy way to check them. put some pressure on the rubber part when they're out and see if you can spot small cracks ...
bye1.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 13 2008, 12:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 13 2008, 11:43 AM) *

Assuming no cracks, is a little bit of movement normal?

yes, but i would double check. just put a floor jack under the tranny and losen the bolts on the mounts and drop the jack just enough to get the mounts out.

quick and easy way to check them. put some pressure on the rubber part when they're out and see if you can spot small cracks ...
bye1.gif Andy

He jsut said they weren't cracked Andy. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. shades.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 11:50 AM) *

no, he said that he didn't notice any cracks when he last had the motor out. but he wasn't LOOKING for cracks back then either.

so, i still would double check, just to be sure ...
shades.gif Andy
ericread
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 13 2008, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 11:50 AM) *

no, he said that he didn't notice any cracks when he last had the motor out. but he wasn't LOOKING for cracks back then either.

so, i still would double check, just to be sure ...
shades.gif Andy

laugh.gif Here I am harrassing the guy that has forgotten more about a 914 that I will ever know...
Cevan
It seems easy enough to check them. BTW, what is the torque for the big bolt? My Haynes manual (IIRC) had something like 21 ft/lbs for these bolts and the engine bar bolts. Sound right?
Dr Evil
How do you have the cup, washer, and bolt assembled on the end? The sporto mounts kick ass and there is no problem using them, but the holes on the tabs need to be opened as the distance between the holes on the car are a little bit off.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 11:43 AM) *
I believe it's because the sport mounts weren't really designed for a transmission to hang from.

They were designed to have an engine or a transmission hang from them, actually... biggrin.gif

The Evil One is correct about why some people don't like them--in some cases you have to oval the mounting holes or bend the tabs on the chassis.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.