Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Look what I found hiding in a garage in Lakeville, MN
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wbergtho
I have been looking for a nice bone stock 914 to compliment my LS6 powered monster 914. I just remember how much fun I had with less than 100HP! No roll cage to step over, no super heavy stage 3 clutch, no custom crazy modifications...just a pure and simple 914 with original fuel injection. The battery tray has barely a bit of surface rust...the hell hole looks great, the trunk floors are perfect and the longs look to be in very nice condition as well. The good/great: Body & pans are virtually perfect, all glass in nice shape (new windshield), all chrome in good to excellent condition, lenses look nice, 99% of electrical works (new alternator), wheels and tires (2.0 Fuchs) are excellent, runs decent and drives straight as an arrow. The not so good: Brake pedal comes up lazy (maybe a stiff & worn pedal box assembly or bad master), brakes need some attention, engine runs decent but stumbles on rare occasions (3 times in 50 miles)...probably needs a tune up and valves adjusted. 76's weren't known for their power.

I'd like to backdate the bumpers to give it a 1970 early look. Maybe a BMW caliper & 19mm master upgrade, and return the seats to perfection (currently redone & no tears...but not OEM look), a new or nice dash cover, troubleshoot and fix gauge lights. The paint has been resprayed once and is nice...but far from perfect. I could run it as is and be happy though. I've looked at a lot of cars from California...and I'd be hard pressed to find another one much nicer anywhere. I'm told it was originally a CA car and then went to an old man in Iowa where he apparently drove it in the summer only and kept it out of the rain and snow... it was then sold to a guy in Mn who put about 500 miles on it in the last three years. Now I am the proud new owner. It has always been parked in a garage. The odometer reads 33,832 but doesn't work...so that means next to nothing. Just drove it home last night and here are the 1st daylight pics.
ericread
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet! How come I never find anything like that mad.gif
effutuo101
very nice!
rick 918-S
drooley.gif Nice score! I may have a 150 MPH speedo for ya. I'll check
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif drunk.gif Nice score

I too have a 150 MPH speedo for you if wanted but you would have to have it rebuilt.
ericread
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 13 2008, 03:02 PM) *

piratenanner.gif drunk.gif Nice score

I too have a 150 MPH speedo for you if wanted but you would have to have it rebuilt.

What size is the speedo. I'm kinda big and I'm not sure I'd fit biggrin.gif Oh, you mean "speedometer".
iamchappy
"Great Color"......
Im so jealous, you have two running cars now..
KELTY360
QUOTE(ericread @ May 13 2008, 03:05 PM) *

e]
What size is the speedo. I'm kinda big and I'm not sure I'd fit biggrin.gif Oh, you mean "speedometer".

Kinda big huh?.............no 911 for you. biggrin.gif
carr914
Nice Score. I'll be taking the BMW brakes off my REAL SIX and putting the originals back on. let me know if your interested.

T.C.
carr914

T.C.
plymouth37
Nice find! Get some early bumpers on that sucker!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ May 13 2008, 02:45 PM) *

"Great Color"......

idea.gif Hey....that's right.... dry.gif
wbergtho
"Great Color"......

It is actually quite unbelievable that I have two 914's that total 66 years of age and they both drive quite nicely at the same time! I thought of that myself and am quite amazed and happy. Thanks guys for the support and offers to help me with parts to make this new find even nicer! I think the first order of events should be addressing the bad brakes...then the seats (which I have) and then the chrome bumpers....which Akellym says he might have a nice pair to sell me. Again...thanks for the help and brotherly love!

Bill
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.