Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Distributer replacement for 1.8 L Jet ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
I have a nearly stock 1.8 L-Jet with all the smog controls removed. The l-Jet distributer is the dual vacumn type- both hoses attach to the throttle body.

Last two times the vacumn wimped out, I replcaed the can. I'm wondering if there is a better way to go- given I'm not running smog controls.

Are there issues specific to the 1.8 L-Jet ?

Thanks,

jim
r_towle
Get a Mallory Unilite from Jake all setup with the correct weights for advance.
Close the ports on the throttle body with caps and enjoy the ride.

Rich
Brando
Jim,
The Mallory Unilite should work...

Until then, run the stock distributor without the vacuum advance (it has too much inherently). Plug the ports on the throttle body. Re-time the car to 28º total advance at 3500 rpms. That's how I timed mine with the L-Jet.

If you run a Hyfire VI/A you need either one of the two tach adapters available. If you need a hand, bring the car by Skline's and I'll help you out with it.
ejm
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 13 2008, 06:45 PM) *

Get a Mallory Unilite from Jake all setup with the correct weights for advance.

Jake discontinued the Mallory line a couple of weeks ago. I think Chris at CFR/Tangerine has one or two on the shelf.

jim_hoyland
Thanks. Is there a fitment issue when replacing the stock dizzy with the Mallory ?

ejm
Drops right in. The ignition cable boot might make light contact with the tin depending on how your drive gear is indexed.

jim_hoyland
What is the part number ?
Dave_Darling
Don't you have to take a BFH to the engine tin around the distributor to fit the Mallory?

--DD
Rav914
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 13 2008, 09:38 PM) *

Don't you have to take a BFH to the engine tin around the distributor to fit the Mallory?

--DD

Mine dropped right in - no issues. Not sure if that's the case with a '75-'76.
Jake Raby
we no longer carry the Mallory.

Too many idiots hooking them up backward frying them and expectinng a refund when it "didn't work out of the box" even when we dyno tuned and test ran EVERY UNIT!!

On top of that getting them was a royal bitch and we had back orders for months at a time.

I have decided to do a Mallory install video and illustrate how to re-curve the unit my way.. I can then sell this video for 20 bucks and not have to listen to people whine about why the unit broke when they didn't pay attention to instructions and fried the damn thing.

I sold hundreds of Mallorys and its a great product, I just can't tolerate the BS they created with lack of availability and technical support.
ericread
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 14 2008, 11:11 AM) *

we no longer carry the Mallory.

Too many idiots hooking them up backward frying them and expectinng a refund when it "didn't work out of the box" even when we dyno tuned and test ran EVERY UNIT!!

On top of that getting them was a royal bitch and we had back orders for months at a time.

I have decided to do a Mallory install video and illustrate how to re-curve the unit my way.. I can then sell this video for 20 bucks and not have to listen to people whine about why the unit broke when they didn't pay attention to instructions and fried the damn thing.

I sold hundreds of Mallorys and its a great product, I just can't tolerate the BS they created with lack of availability and technical support.

So Jake;

Are you stocking a replacement dizzy, or are you just providing a referral to the Unilite product (getting out of the dizzy sales completely)?
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Rav914 @ May 13 2008, 11:15 PM) *

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 13 2008, 09:38 PM) *

--DD

Mine dropped right in - no issues. Not sure if that's the case with a '75-'76.

I think this was the main issue: is the '75 L-jet indexed so the unit will be a drop in. Need to find someone with the same year who has done this; know anyone ?
ejm
I've installed them in engines using 1.7/1.8 tin and 2.0 tin without problem. The cable boot will contact the tin as you rotate the dist body. If the gear was indexed such that the boot was against the tin when the engine was timed correctly I would slightly dent the tin.

I think that to install the dist with the cap on you would need the BFH to make it fit. Then you could ignore pages of instructions and diagrams and hook up all of 3 wires wrong. rolleyes.gif
jim_hoyland
I went to the Summitracing Web site:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.as...mp;autoview=sku

They show 2 for the 1.8L 914:

MAA4554101 Mechanical
MAA475401 Vacumm

Should I be considering the vac or the mechanical ? Currently, I have the Petronix inside my current distributer.

Thanks, Jim
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Brando @ May 13 2008, 06:18 PM) *

Jim,
The Mallory Unilite should work...

Until then, run the stock distributor without the vacuum advance (it has too much inherently). Plug the ports on the throttle body. Re-time the car to 28º total advance at 3500 rpms. That's how I timed mine with the L-Jet.

If you run a Hyfire VI/A you need either one of the two tach adapters available. If you need a hand, bring the car by Skline's and I'll help you out with it.

The 1.8L L jet system is NOT timed at 3500 RPM. You set the timing to 7.5 degrees at 800RPM. And the Vacuum advance is no present at idle, it is a vacuum retard. It provides a burst of initial advance to overcome an off-idle flat spot inherent in the L-Jet design. The vacuum advance hose is not even hooked up on 90% of the L-Jet cars out there, same as the D-Jet.

jim_hoyland
One last question: can the Pertronix is used too ?
jim_hoyland
Update:

Had the Mallory Unilite installed Monday to replace the original dual vac distributer. Very nice ! The car drives a lot better and a lot of the issues caused by the original distributer are gone.

A big thanks to Ed for the heads up, and Chris at Tangerine.
bfrymire
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 15 2008, 08:41 PM) *

Update:

Had the Mallory Unilite installed Monday to replace the original dual vac distributer. Very nice ! The car drives a lot better and a lot of the issues caused by the original distributer are gone.

Good news Jim.

Which one did you use? Part Number? Someone may find it useful.

-- brett
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Oct 15 2008, 08:51 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 15 2008, 08:41 PM) *

Update:

Good news Jim.

Which one did you use? Part Number? Someone may find it useful.

-- brett

It's the 4554101. Also installed the MSD Helical wires.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.