Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flat towing a 914 -anything special I need to know?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scottz0369
Hello,
I'm retiring from the Marines this month and will be driving from California to Illinois (on 66 as much as possible).
I was going to rent a flatbed from UHaul to tow the 914, but my Cherokee doesn't meet thier weight requirements to do so, and a tow dolly will cost around $500 to rent.
Sooooooo I'm leaning toward the tow bracket from Rennmetal and doing it that way.

Is there anything special I need to know to tow it wheels on the ground for over 2000 miles? I'm a total newbie at this-don't be afraid to make it potato-head simple.
Any assistance appreciated!

Scott
davesprinkle
QUOTE(scottz0369 @ May 14 2008, 01:10 PM) *

Hello,
I'm retiring from the Marines this month and will be driving from California to Illinois (on 66 as much as possible).
I was going to rent a flatbed from UHaul to tow the 914, but my Cherokee doesn't meet thier weight requirements to do so, and a tow dolly will cost around $500 to rent.
Sooooooo I'm leaning toward the tow bracket from Rennmetal and doing it that way.

Is there anything special I need to know to tow it wheels on the ground for over 2000 miles? I'm a total newbie at this-don't be afraid to make it potato-head simple.
Any assistance appreciated!

Scott

I flat-towed my 914 1500 miles with no problems. It's easy and safe, assuming you observe a few caveats:

1. Ensure that the key is in the ignition and turned so that the steering wheel is free to turn. This will obviously require that you disconnect the battery.
2. Never, never, never back up. If you back up, you will likely damage the tow-bar, the front suspension, the front bumper, or all 3. If you find yourself in a situation where you must reverse, you should unhitch, move the vehicles separately, and re-hitch.
jcd914
I flat towed mine many times when it ran and I was auto-x'ing.
I had 2 problems:
First the front of mine was so low that my tow bar had a downward angle from the van to the 914. Any time I braked hard it would drive the nose of the 914 down into the pavement. The tow bar was my own fabrication and attached to the front control arm mount points so it was the lowest point and so no damage to the car but still not good. I corrected this by raising the front of the car. I only raised it for towing, jacked the front end up and placed a spacer (8mm nut) on top of the frt T-bar adjuster on each side. At the event I jacked it up and removed the spacers, back to racing height.
The other problem was a one time thing, the speedo cable came loose from the trans and when I got to the event it was just a tattered tail.

I spliced into the turn signals and running lights in the trunk light for my lighting. Van used turn signal as the brake light so my wiring was simple. Key in the ignition turned so the steering was unlocked, shifter in neutral. I always pushed it by hand up to the van so I knew it was in neutral and the steering wheel was not locked. I never towed 2000 contiunuous miles but several different places around N. CA. I think my longest trip was Sacramento to Laguna Seca.

Have Fun
Jim
Todd Enlund
Try Budget Truck Rental... I rented a dolly from New Orleans to Portland for $120.

Also note that rental prices are negotiable. I had a quote, but did not commit. They called me back a few days later and gave me a lower offer if I would make the reservation.
scottz0369
Thanks for the tips!
Sounds like this won't be too hard--am I being too optomistic?

Scott
ChrisReale
dont tow it backwards, the wind will rip the roof off
cobra94563
I used both and actually prefer the tow bar over the tow dolly.
(I would prefer a trailer, but 4runnner is too light, too.)
You might also want the extended brake lights if travelling at night - (harbor freight)
jimkelly
i flat towed this baby from demoines to wash dc - no problems - just take it easy and take your time.
shoguneagle
You should be fine flat towing. The advice you are getting is great. Email me of the board and I can be an emergency contact from California to New Mexico. I live in Flagstaff, AZ (on Route 66). I do have a trailer if you get into a situation where hauling is required.

Maybe we can setup a support group as you move into retirement and along Route 66.

Please email me and I will give you my telephone numbers and address so if you need to contact me, the information is readily available. I am retired Air Force.

Glad to provide help if needed.

Steve Hurt
newto914s
what class hitch do you have?
scottz0369
QUOTE(newto914s @ May 15 2008, 12:55 AM) *

what class hitch do you have?

I've got a Class III hitch, and the tow vehicle will be my 98 Jeep Cherokee with the 4.0L straight 6, so there shouldn't be an issue there.
scottz0369
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ May 14 2008, 10:29 PM) *

You should be fine flat towing. The advice you are getting is great. Email me of the board and I can be an emergency contact from California to New Mexico. I live in Flagstaff, AZ (on Route 66). I do have a trailer if you get into a situation where hauling is required.

Maybe we can setup a support group as you move into retirement and along Route 66.

Please email me and I will give you my telephone numbers and address so if you need to contact me, the information is readily available. I am retired Air Force.

Glad to provide help if needed.

Steve Hurt

Steve-
Thanks for the kind offer-hopefully I won't need it!
We plan on taking our time -- I'll be driving the Jeep with the Porsche behind, and my wife will have the family truckster with a trailer (and 2 kids!), so speed isn't an option. We plan on seeing some of the Rte 66 sights / camping along the way to make an adventure of it.

Scott
plas76targa
Scott - in 2005 I flat towed mine from SF to DC using a Pontiac Montana minivan. Pulled fine. Good idea to get the RennMetal Lee tow bar. I had a more interesting Towbar that McMark made for me.
Dr. Roger
I was hoping Leo Imperial would chime in here. He flat towed his 914 coast to coast.

With his VW bus !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.