Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack stand placement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeHall
Where are the best spots to place Jack stands while removing the engine/transmission? Also are there any tips for a fast trouble free engine/trans removable?

Mike
purple
the search feature is really a good thing to answer these questions biggrin.gif
ericread
The jack stands should be UNDER the vehicle. idea.gif

Glad to be of assistance. laugh.gif

(If you don't ask, how are you going to learn?)
jcd914
If I am not removing the suspension I put jack stands under the front pivot section of the rear control arms near the other mounting point and under the front control arms near the front mount points. These are solid, round so they sit down into the saddle of most any jack stand and easy reach.

Jim
machina
QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 14 2008, 03:44 PM) *

If I am not removing the suspension I put jack stands under the front pivot section of the rear control arms near the other mounting point and under the front control arms near the front mount points. These are solid, round so they sit down into the saddle of most any jack stand and easy reach.

Jim

agree.gif Get good stands preferably with pins. I always have at least one other secondary stand or jack in case something goes wrong. These cars are light but you dont want it falling on your head. Remember the scene where Dorthys house fell on the wicked witch of the east? Just the feet sticking out. blink.gif
Click to view attachment
ericread
QUOTE(machina @ May 14 2008, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ May 14 2008, 03:44 PM) *

Jim

agree.gif Get good stands preferably with pins. I always have at least one other secondary stand or jack in case something goes wrong. These cars are light but you dont want it falling on your head. Remember the scene where Dorthys house fell on the wicked witch of the east? Just the feet sticking out. blink.gif
Click to view attachment

av-943.gif

But the worst part is when the little people come and steal your ruby slippers (I hate when that happens).
MikeHall
I have the jack stands under the rear of the trailing arms with blocks of wood under the tires just to be safe. I also chocked the front wheels good so it wont roll off the jack stands. I think Im good but Im having a hell of a time removing the stripped out allen head bolts from the drivers side CV. No I did not strip them out but someone sure as hell did. LOL

Mike
McMark
Vice grips... cool.gif
MikeHall
They worked on the passenger side but the drivers side has caused me to chunk my vice grips and get out the chissel and hammer which is just cutting the bolt away. I dont see how there on there that tight but they are. I even welded a bolt to one of them and it just broke the bolt like it was nothing. I would have had the engine out in 30 minutes if it was not for the stripped out CV bolts. Im not even sure how someone did this unless they used the wrong side wrench.

Mike
SGB
QUOTE(MikeHall @ May 14 2008, 10:11 PM) *

unless they used the wrong size wrench.
Mike

Exactly.
I guess you are aware that the CV joints are unavailable new. Probably should try not to beat bloody hell out of 'em.
MikeHall
I did not know that but no worries as I have not touched the CV's only the bolt.

Mike
atomix8
QUOTE(McMark @ May 14 2008, 10:42 PM) *

Vice grips... cool.gif

The older a car gets and the more bolts on it become "vice grip sized"...it's darn near an SAE standard now. laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(MikeHall @ May 14 2008, 06:12 PM) *

the stripped out allen head bolts from the drivers side CV.

are you *sure* they are allen head bolts? shades.gif

because the factory bolts are *not* allen heads ...
idea.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.