Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which side does your T-IV leak from?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lotus_65
My engine leaks on the right, both before and after rebuild.

I just bought a nice pair of SSHE's and the right side of the HE is caked with oily debris... INSIDE the HE! Sure makes me think that car leaked there too.

If you have insight, maybe you'd like to enlighten me on this oddity...
plymouth37
Mine leaked like a screen door so i threw it away.
SGB
Right now the PR tubes aren't leaking, since I just got rebuilt heads- BUT there is enough oil flowing from my now leaky oil cooler seals to justify a small refinery. Before that , the LEFT side leaked but the right side stayed dry. However, the right side had pulled exhaust studs but the left side stayed quiet.

So I voted EVERYWHERE
dw914er
right by the rear main. Not too bad though, just a few drips, so whenever i pull the tranny, should be able to find and fix it
Jake Raby
How about no where???

Contrary to popular belief these engines are not designed to leak oil and leaks from them are not acceptable!
jsayre914
right front.....pretty sure its the cooler seals dry.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 14 2008, 07:50 PM) *

Contrary to popular belief these engines are not designed to leak oil and leaks from them are not acceptable!

I'm sorry. You must be mistaken. You see what people commonly mistake for an oil leak is actually Porsches highly advanced self leveling oil system designed to assure that the engine is never overfilled with oil. By blocking these vital oil release passages you are greatly compromising the integrity of this vital system. Don't be embaressed it is an honest mistake. biggrin.gif
SGB
Of course Jake has the right standard, and it can be achieved. Mine would be tight but I need to redo those cooler seals- that did not leak before my most recent teardown.
I am going to wait until my next oill change to try to correct it again.
DanT
dry as a bone since my rebuild completion of 4/07 biggrin.gif

new owner Ethan will not have to worry about getting his driveway messy smile.gif
sww914
Just the front. Not even bad enough to mess with.
dw914er
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 14 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Just the front. Not even bad enough to mess with.

same here, itsnt even enough to fix unless i need to pull out the tranny for another reason. I think after 5000 miles, it might go down 1/4 a quart at most. And i change the oil every 3000 miles or so.
mudfoot76
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 14 2008, 11:09 PM) *

the HE is caked with oily debris... INSIDE the HE! Sure makes me think that car leaked there too.

How are you venting the crankcase? If you have oily mess inside the HE, it could be that you are misting the inside of your engine bay with oil vapor that is getting sucked into the cooling fan and blown through the heat system...
championgt1
About 18,000 miles on a full rebuild. Does not leak a drop. ( insert knock on wood here) biggrin.gif
ericread
According to an Orange County based independant mechanic, my little 2.0L FI engine leaked oil "everywhere". His suggestion was to 1) Have the engine rebuilt (approx $5,000), or; cool.gif Buy the 1974 914 he has on his lot for about $4,000. huh.gif

Soon after, I spent a weekend chasing leaks (replace oil-cooler seals, replace pushrod tube seals, replace valve cover seals, replace taco-plate seals). No more leaks (not a drop) and the car runs great!

YAY me! biggrin.gif
purple
Dry as a popcorn fart!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.