Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I've had a hard time finding a windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
I've looked for used windshields at GPR and all of my local junkyards, no luck. I've priced new and they're $300.00-$350.00 if I install it myself for CHINESE GLASS!
I'm not going for that. I'm not paying any $300.00 for a piece of Chinese glass that I know for sure will get broken, so today I bought a whole 914 without an engine or tranny for $50.00. It looks like a real contender for the 24 hours of LeMons next year!
Pictures at 11:00
McMark
laugh.gif Cool! Good thinking.
burton73
I picked up my Chinese glass in Compton, CA for $225. Out the door yesterday. It looks fine but will need a Racing Decal, or vintage Porsche sticker in the bottom right to cover the Chinese wording. I got it on EBay for $195. And the pick up was near me in So LA City of Compton.

Does the Chinese glass break going in or are you save if you get it mounted OK?

One thing is for sure it look good now.

Bob
jim_hoyland
Call 714-292-5811
RJ Glass
markb
I stopped by & looked at it today, and Steve showed me the pics he took at the 24 hours of LeMons. Looks like fun! And about finding the car for $50.00............ finger.gif rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif
burton73
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 15 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Call 714-292-5811
RJ Glass

Jim, I will call him and ask if he will make a call up to West LA to put the front and rear glass in when my pant is all finished in #41.

Steve if you use the new $50. 914 for the LeMons race next year what are you going to do for a windshield? I still like to know what is wrong with the Chinese glass.

Bob

McMark
If you break a 914 windshield while installing it you did something MAJOR wrong. Here's the short installation instructions.

1. Apply butyl to window frame.
2. Set spacers into place.
3. Set glass into place.
4. Beer beerchug.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(burton73 @ May 15 2008, 11:02 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 15 2008, 05:53 PM) *

Call 714-292-5811
RJ Glass

Jim, I will call him and ask if he will make a call up to West LA to put the front and rear glass in when my pant is all finished in #41.

Steve if you use the new $50. 914 for the LeMons race next year what are you going to do for a windshield? I still like to know what is wrong with the Chinese glass.

Bob

Otto's in Venice may know a good Porsche glass installer in your area.
Dr Evil
I know a place in San Diego that sells them installed for about $200 last time I was there. Closer to Mexico = cheaper. There is a thread with all the info in it here somewhere.
PRS914-6
I got a PPG (not China) for $197.00 last year from All Star Glass. I hired one of the installers who came to my house and installed it for $50.00 (I gave him $75.00 anyway)

I think All Star has many shops and I'm sure get a big break on volume alone.

I don't think you will find a Company to install a front one with butyl tape. The glass guys told me it wasn't legal anymore for the front but OK for the rear. Apparently too many have flown out...yikes
sww914
I've seen Chinese glass that was super wavy when you looked through it. I had one customer at the body shop whose windshield was so wavy on the passenger's side that his wife got sick in the car as they drove home. I replaced the glass for them. If the Chinese glass is fine then it's fine. It's better than flight goggles and bugs in the teeth.
I think that the $50.00 car is a better candidate for a Sheridan body kit and a 6 cyl than my current car. My blue & green car was raced on a dirt oval before I got it and it's really hammered. I put at least a gallon of body filler on that car. Some time I'd like to have a really nice 914 instead of a hammered piece of dogshit. The $50.00 car's body is rusty where a previous paint job failed but the chassis is in great shape. I will probably use a Lexan windshield in that car.
I called All Star Glass and they quoted me $285.00 plus tax for the glass not installed. I hope I don't break the $50.00 windshield pulling it out!
Joe Bob
I paid $250 installed.....German.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 16 2008, 10:24 PM) *

I called All Star Glass and they quoted me $285.00 plus tax for the glass not installed.

That was the price I was originally quoted. However, it had to do with shipping. The Sacramento guy was really cool, since I was not in a hurry. He waited until they got their big stock delivery from L.A. and had it shipped with that. It saved me almost $100.00. Took about a week longer but well worth the $$$ savings.

When you get quotes, ask how much of the price is shipping and try to work a deal....Very few shops have one in stock so shipping is aways involved.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.