Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
I had taken the windshield out when I stripped the tub and did the body work. It's now time to start re-assembling the car. The windshield frame (as well as the car) has been coated with self etching primer. The windshield frame has also been painted with the color of the car-to-be. New clips have been installed.

I also have new NOS chrome to be installed once the car has been painted.

I am planning on calling one of those traveling windshieid guys to come and install my windshield.

Question: Will the windshield service have everything they need to install and seal the windshield in place? I see autoatlanta has a windshield installation kit...do I need to have one on hand to have it installed correctly? Also, the small rubber seal with the metal inside that clamps to the molding by the dash...is it necessary, and if so does it need to be installed before the windshield is put in (I don't have one).

Interestingly enough, when I pulled the windshield, it literally was just being held in my the chrome. It lifted right out. There was a wafer thin rubber gasket that fit the frame of the window under the glass(still have it...it's in great shape)...does that need to go back under the glass...or just toss it?
PRS914-6
You should be good to go if you have new clips. The rubber seal that goes to the dash needs to go in first.

Just an FYI.....The glass guys typically won't use butyl tape since it's now illegal in most states for a front windshield. I wouldn't use butyl tape anyway....
jim_hoyland
Down in Orange County, we have a guy who specializes in Porsche glass installations, especially good with 914's. Does the chrome, rubber, or ss embedded in rubber.

I would recommend getting a glass guy who has Porsche experience

My $0.02----let's see some pics of you project smile.gif
rhodyguy
get the referal info from jim.

k
jim_hoyland
I know you are too far away for this referral, but anyone in and around Orange County may be interested:
RJ Glass
Rufino
714-292-5811
He comes to you, excellent prices for r/r or new; does great work on front or back. I have used him 5-6 times over the past 20 years and I know others who have been very satisfied by his work.
computers4kids
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 15 2008, 12:23 PM) *

I know you are too far away for this referral, but anyone in and around Orange County may be interested:
RJ Glass
Rufino
714-292-5811
He comes to you, excellent prices for r/r or new; does great work on front or back. I have used him 5-6 times over the past 20 years and I know others who have been very satisfied by his work.

Thanks Jim for the info...I doubt though he'll come to me...too far.

I didn't realize that it has become illegal (mostly) to use the butyl tape that atlanta sells...I wonder if they would mention that had I called to order?

Last 914 windshield that I had replaced, I had done 40 minutes from here (Fresno). They cut out the old windshield, installed new glass with the black sealer and re-installed chrome for $250...that was a couple of years ago.

Should most windshield services be able to replace the glass???? It doesn't look like rocket science, I just fiqured with their suction cups it would make the job much easier.

Yeah...need to take some recent pics of the progress of my project. I did start the paint process. Painted the engine compartment and prepped the windshield frame.

The way gas is going...I should go electric on this car, instead of the 2.4. I might still go that way later. I can't say that too loud because Jamie might hear (jrust). av-943.gif
The motor is ready to go in the car--just wating on the next production run of seals from "Mikey914" so I can place the motor.
jim_hoyland
Nice pic ! beer.gif

If you are using the chrome and using new clips, look closely at the holes where the clip pushes into. Some aftermarket clips chip the paint around the hole and open you up for instant rust. Ask me how I know... sad.gif

Usually the porsche garage guys know the glass guys, paint shops usually have a favorite glass guy as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.