Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto shipping question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
Are you supposed to tip the driver? Or is that considered part of his fee.

I don't tip the UPS guy, but I do tip the pizza guy, and both bring me things I like. What end of the spectrum does this fall under?

Zach
jcd914
My rule of thumb
Tip if you think they did more than they are getting paid for.
Pizza guy get paid poorly so if he gets a tip if he did better than a poor delivery.
UPS Guy get paid well so unless he really went above and beyond, no tip.
Car delivery guy? Your call.

Jim

ConeDodger
No tip... You are unlikely to use his services again. Tip... You are going to keep his card and call him directly next month when you move another car.
flippa
Towing can be a sucky job; folks are usually grumpy when their cars break and whine at the tow truck driver.

Owning 914's & other older cars over the years, I have used AAA countless times. I am always real friendly to these guys and almost always throw them something (they have your vehicle after all). I like to think that they will be a little gentler with your stuff taking it off the flatbed if they think you are an OK guy.

If you feel like being nice, throw him a $5 or $10 & tell him coffee is on you today. He will definitely appreciate the gesture.
ericread
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 15 2008, 10:24 AM) *

No tip... You are unlikely to use his services again. Tip... You are going to keep his card and call him directly next month when you move another car.

That's kind of a cynical way of looking at tipping? huh.gif

By that logic if you go to dinner in Las Vegas you wouldn't tip the wait staff since they wouldn't be providing meals to you in the future... shades.gif

I've seen your posts and I know you're a nicer guy than that! Fess up! You probably tip as well as any of us. popcorn[1].gif
zymurgist
I own a car with 400,000 miles and I'm a member of AAA Plus. Every time I had to have my car towed to my house (so I could fix it), I tipped the guy $20.
VaccaRabite
The point became moot in my eyes.

Yesterday I watched the guy load up my truck. I asked him is he wanted to follow me home, or did he know the way.

"Oh, you won't get it till Monday night at the earliest, maybe Tuesday. I am trying to find another car or two to bring down."

I understand his financial point in trying to get his truck to capacity prior to making the run, so I did not begrudge him that decision. However, the contract said that once my truck was loaded, it would go directly to my door. I did not fight the point, but the driver won't be getting a tip.

Zach
scotty b
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 15 2008, 11:19 AM) *

I own a car with 400,000 miles and I'm a member of AAA Plus. Every time I had to have my car towed to my house (so I could fix it), I tipped the guy $20.

poke.gif Yup that's a Corvette alright av-943.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.