Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn accelerator cable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
Last night I was able to get the car started it was backfiring from the exhaust and carbs, but finally got it to idling and wanted to take it for a short run around the block to warm it up. I get half way round the block when the accelerator cable snaps. blink.gif I was able to tie a knot in one end of the cable, tie a shoelace to it and to the linkage and make it back. know to get a new cable, anyone know a good source?
SGB
Pelican is always reliable.
914helo
I think I saw that in a MacGyver episode once...
orthobiz
Many of us carry spare clutch AND accelerator cables. They curl up nicely in the spare!!!!

Paul
porsche914gt
Only buy a Terry cable. The OEM cable metal on the screw on end is way too soft and breaks easily.
jsayre914
Mine broke in Baltimore city years ago. I used a peace of rope and brought it from the bay around the rollbar to my left hand, and i steered and shifted with my right, throtle with my left, i actually drove about 10 city blocks this way.no kidding
Ian Stott
Where do you get the Terry cable?

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ClayPerrine
I was going to drive my six to work yesterday. I pushed it out of the garage and into the driveway (to make the neighbors happy).When I went to start it up, I found that the accellerator would not press down. It was not the linkage, I figure the cable melted and seized up. headbang.gif Then I had to push it back in the garage by myself, as the wife was in the shower. I had to use the starter to pull it over the ledge in the garage. headbang.gif

Years ago, when my car was still a 4 with carbs, I broke a throttle cable south of Waco. I too some speaker wire and tied it to the throttle linkage, took the top off and ran the wire over the targa band and tied it to my shoe lace. I had it set so that I could put my foot down where the accelerator pedal was, and the car would accelerate. But if I lifted my foot and put it on the brake, there was enough slack in the wire.

That worked fine, but I had a state trooper stop me because she thought I was drunk. I was driving down the freeway in the pouring rain with the top off my car. I stopped under a bridge and when she asked, I explained what happened. She just shook her head and let me go. I got wetter getting back up to speed than I did the entire rest fo the drive home.

ericread
Somebody earlier mentioned that if you break an accellerator cable, there's no reason you can't safely drive it home. Set your idle to 3000 rpm, and you're on your way. Sure, it's a bit of a high idle at a stop light, but if you use your transmission correctly, you can easily drive at that engine speed. idea.gif
Trevorg7
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ May 15 2008, 11:06 AM) *

Last night I was able to get the car started it was backfiring from the exhaust and carbs, but finally got it to idling and wanted to take it for a short run around the block to warm it up. I get half way round the block when the accelerator cable snaps. blink.gif I was able to tie a knot in one end of the cable, tie a shoelace to it and to the linkage and make it back. know to get a new cable, anyone know a good source?

Got mine at Pelican. HPH has them too. Put in a Terry based on a member recomendation. Pretty easy to replace.

Good luck.

T
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.