Full Version: 914 Supercharger?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porschedub
Has anyone ever built or know someone who has built a intake manafold
to install a (Ford,GM, or import) supercharger on a 914-4 or 6? welder.gif

porschedub@sbcglobal.net

IPB Image
jimkelly
this guy has a supercharged type4 on his bike.

Porschedub
That's cool, Jim!
Thats what I want but I need to find some one who has built the intake manafold for a T-4 setup? Need pic's, and how-to info?

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 15 2008, 03:40 PM) *

this guy has a supercharged type4 on his bike.

So.Cal.914
Hi, I will probably be disagreed with but a supercharger is driven off the engine, does basicly the same thing as a turbo. But the supercharger gives you instant boost. The turbo is driven off the exhaust, it use's no power from the engine to drive it. There is a 'Lag' but unless you are building a dragster or something like that chopper, I would sudjest talking to the fella's here that have turbo'd their teeners. Just My .02
PBritain
i know fat performance makes an intake manifold for turbo apps. would probably work for supercharger setup too. the only hard part at all about turboing the car is the exhaust, and thats just a patience game. ill let ya know when i figure mine out. lol
SirAndy
well, Ferdinand himself did it, and so can you! biggrin.gif

btw. Kompressor = Supercharger

1) the first mid-engine porsche was designed by ferdinand porsche in the early 30s for the "Auto Union". the new "Hochleistungs-Fahrzeugbau GmbH" company was exclusively founded to develop this grand prix race car. the internal project name was simply "P".
the car was equipped with a V16, 4.36L engine. a Roots-Kompressor was added bringing the max. output to 295HP at 4500 rpm.

raced by "Ernst von Delius" in 1936
IPB Image

2) the second mid-engine porsche was built by ferry porsche in the late 40s, using the original "P" design as a template. the car was ordered by the italian Piero Dusio and was called the "Cisitalia". it featured a 12 Cylinder Boxermotor with just 1.5L displacement. fitted with a kompressor, the engine produced a staggering 450HP at 10500 rpm and featured 4 overhead camshafts and dual weber carburetors.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Rand
IPB Image
I know, not a TIV. You might have to blaze some trails. Practically, I think you would be better off with a known 2270 build. But I'd sure be interested in seeing your experiments. popcorn[1].gif
PBritain
that setup would be E-Z to adapt to a t4 me thinks. looks darn sweet too.

but i bet it costs more than my entire car.
Dr Evil
So what is this charger off of? What model, etc?

I am looking at them right now, just for fun, and think that you could probably get a honda one for not too much that can be adapted.
jr91472
whoa, that chopper has a chrome oil filter....

bet you don't get those at Pep Boys screwy.gif
Dr Evil
This looks promising

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Su...sspagenameZWDVW
r_towle
Look for a single carb manifold built for a four barrel holley carb. It should work.
The single carb intakes are often thrown in the trash...so put an ad in the classifieds looking for one.

Rich
Joe Bob
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2008, 02:07 PM) *

well, Ferdinand himself did it, and so can you! biggrin.gif

btw. Kompressor = Supercharger

1) the first mid-engine porsche was designed by ferdinand porsche in the early 30s for the "Auto Union". the new "Hochleistungs-Fahrzeugbau GmbH" company was exclusively founded to develop this grand prix race car. the internal project name was simply "P".
the car was equipped with a V16, 4.36L engine. a Roots-Kompressor was added bringing the max. output to 295HP at 4500 rpm.

raced by "Ernst von Delius" in 1936
IPB Image

2) the second mid-engine porsche was built by ferry porsche in the late 40s, using the original "P" design as a template. the car was ordered by the italian Piero Dusio and was called the "Cisitalia". it featured a 12 Cylinder Boxermotor with just 1.5L displacement. fitted with a kompressor, the engine produced a staggering 450HP at 10500 rpm and featured 4 overhead camshafts and dual weber carburetors.

IPB Image

IPB Image

If I remember, the Cistalia never ran a race?

BTW, you can't Supercharge a 914......
laugh.gif
Porschedub
From some of the responces I have received it looks like the 90's Thunderbird SC
supercharger will work best with a 4 or 6 cyl and also with a Weber or Dell side draft carb?

IPB Image
Porschedub
Hey, Rand!
Who built that intake?
Joe Bob
Sure why not? Cooling, drive belts/pulleys, and clearance isues will be "interesting".....but you'd be surprised what fits in there....

Rick Ollah sectioned the firewall forward to get a 928 motor in there. All it takes is time and money.....good luck.
Porschedub
The motor is going to be mounted mid engine in a 67 Beetle! Cooling will come from a set of elect. fans!

QUOTE(!Wet Spot! @ May 16 2008, 11:01 AM) *

Sure why not? Cooling, drive belts/pulleys, and clearance isues will be "interesting".....but you'd be surprised what fits in there....

Rick Ollah sectioned the firewall forward to get a 928 motor in there. All it takes is time and money.....good luck.

Jake Raby
I have a half dozen TIV S/C builds under my belt.. One of them went into a 914 and used an M45 Eaton..

The others have all been TIVs going into Split Window VW Buses....

I have never been pleased with Super Charging a TIV... The units build lots of engine bay temp and intercooling is near impossible.
Porschedub
Hi Jake!
Do you have any photos of that 914 S/C build? I would like to see how you set it up? I'm going with a 914,2.0 with a 914 T-axle installed "mid-enging" style in a 67
Beetle!

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 16 2008, 02:16 PM) *

I have a half dozen TIV S/C builds under my belt.. One of them went into a 914 and used an M45 Eaton..

The others have all been TIVs going into Split Window VW Buses....

I have never been pleased with Super Charging a TIV... The units build lots of engine bay temp and intercooling is near impossible.

Jake Raby
That sounds like my kind of build.. BUT I don't have any photos of that engine as it was built in the late 90s..

What are you using for cooling and etc on the engine??? I can certainly help you with this project! TI conversions are my favorite builds!
JeffBowlsby
Here are 3 S/C photos I have, I have no further details:

JeffBowlsby
tres...
JmuRiz
Why not do something like a small Rotrex style supercharger, basically a gear-driven turbo. Probably could hook something up with the alternator belt?

http://www.rotrex.com/

And you can hook up an intercooler between the two, like people do on a turbo setup.

Just an idea.
Porschedub
Hi Jake!
What i'm looking for is an SC intake manafold for a 914 or Type 4?
Cooling: (1) Elect. fan on each side of the engine, (1) elect. fan on the oil cooler,
and drag car b-pillar window vents with hoses running on both sides?

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 16 2008, 03:05 PM) *

That sounds like my kind of build.. BUT I don't have any photos of that engine as it was built in the late 90s..

What are you using for cooling and etc on the engine??? I can certainly help you with this project! TI conversions are my favorite builds!

rhodyguy
we shall see if this works. dry.gif
Gint
Looks like it did Kevin. I got your email but obviously you managed to get them posted here. All we need now is a larger shot of the text page so we can read it. Email it to me if you want to.
So.Cal.914
Or if you can raise the DPI's and we can boost it on this end. smile.gif
rhodyguy
hi mike, check your inbox for the email and attachments. i compressed for email docs. let me know if you need me to enlarge and send again. perhaps you could provide me with a link to resizing and posting pictures. ha. chair.gif happy11.gif

k
Gint
I don't know you used or what exactly "compressed for email docs" means. But basically it just resized the pic and made it really small. The pics you emailed are exactly the same size as posted here. And zooming just makes it blurry.

I'm going to be out the rest of the day. We're celebrating Mother's Day today around here. Long story...
rhodyguy
dry.gif. i surrender.
So.Cal.914

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
i thought the oil cooler placement was the worst. throwing the blower drive belt would be most exciting. fwiw, vw&porsche and european automobiles, august 1990.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.