Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb Cleaning
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ericv1
I read a thread recentley about dipping and cleaning carbs with berrymans' carb cleaner. One member said to remove all of the brass and then dip. Is it because brass is soft and could be eaten away by the cleaner? PLease let me know. Thanks, Eric stirthepot.gif
ericread
I feel like I'm in an echo chamber... (Thjis thread was posted twice)

Since the duplicate post has been removed, my response makes no sense whatsoever.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo, Never mind.
So.Cal.914
All I can tell you is this. I googled berryman's carb cleaner+brass

pieces+Problems. I read an article about getting a motorcycle ready

after winter storage. They used Berrymans on the carbs without

removing any brass.
burton73
I just looked at my Berrymans cans I and its says “use on all metal and alloys”. It cleaned my brass right up on my carbs. Plus the small parts in the dip tray they give you.

Bob
Ericv1
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 15 2008, 05:20 PM) *

All I can tell you is this. I googled berryman's carb cleaner+brass

pieces+Problems. I read an article about getting a motorcycle ready

after winter storage. They used Berrymans on the carbs without

removing any brass.

Thanks, Bob, I found the thread on 914club. But there's no specifics as to why the person said to remove the brass parts. Eric
r_towle
If you dont remove the brass you arent doing a decent job.

Brass includes, F-tubes, idle jets, idle screw, air screw, etc etc etc.

The lower air bypass screws have a rubber o-ring that wont last any decent cleaner.
The gaskets will be junk
The floats wont like it, nor will the rubber on the needle valve.

Take two carbs...leave on if front of you totally assembled.
Take the other one apart, and dip the body of the carb, with nothing in it.
Otherwise you will loosen alot of crap and it will have no place to go but to clog up jets...

Do it right, or dont bother.

Rich
Gint
You can put the brass in the Berryman's. It won't hurt it. I strip my carbs completely apart and use the little collander looking bucket for all of the individual small pieces including the brass. No issues ever with brass or other metals in over 25 years of using Berryman's.
craig downs
I clean everything with it accept rubber seals and gaskets. Just be careful with it use gloves and be careful about splashing any on you. The sink will follow you around for a couple of days.
Ericv1
Here's the carb before hours of cleaning and replacing the gaskets.
Ericv1
My bad.. This was the after shot. I'm still learning how to post pics. Eric
r_towle
I was gonna say...damn you are a perfectionist if that is before....

Rich
Ericv1
Here's the before shot on the right side. I think it turned out pretty well.
burton73
I removed the circled arrears. There was tar like old gas in the back of the accelerator pump. You have to get all of that stuff out. I put the finished crab in my solvent sink to see that the solvent was flowing all over. I have only done one so far and I am still worried that it will not be perfect. Crabs are an art. My shafts where stuck after sitting for 18 years and I needed to prove that my crabs and shafts where still good with out slop.

Bob
Click to view attachment
Ericv1
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jun 1 2008, 02:03 AM) *

I removed the circled arrears. There was tar like old gas in the back of the accelerator pump. You have to get all of that stuff out. I put the finished crab in my solvent sink to see that the solvent was flowing all over. I have only done one so far and I am still worried that it will not be perfect. Crabs are an art. My shafts where stuck after sitting for 18 years and I needed to prove that my crabs and shafts where still good with out slop.

Bob
Click to view attachment

I'm pretty sure these carbs had been gone through before. The engine was sitting for 4 years. However, when I dismanteled the carbs, there was no sludge or tar buildup. The shafts stuck a little bit after soaking for 5 days. A little penetrating oil freed them right up. Its' now time to start number two. Eric
IronHillRestorations
JIC you didn't know, never ever ever poke wire in the air or fuel passages to clean them out.

Your carb looks great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.