Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT! Toyota 4WD Has major leak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I have a 1983 toyota 4WD with the 22R motor with Major and i mean major oil leak. when i arrive at my destination i get out like 10 seconds later and theres anywhere between 15-20 quarter size drops underneath mostly the center and the passenger side underneath the engine. does anyone have any knowledge about these and know whats up?
championgt1
My buddy had an 84 in high school that leaked a crapload of oil. The offender was the oil pan gasket.
purple
drain plug seal? start with the easy stuff first.
Allan
No help from me this weekend, but if you can deal with it until next Saturday or Sunday, you can bring it by my office and we can put it up on the rack and take a look.
So.Cal.914
The R22 is a Great engine, runs for freaking ever even though you may flog it

everyday. But damn they do leak oil. As I remember I also changed a pan gasket.
Joe Bob
The Rack, paper towels and a 12 pack....you'll find it. Use gloves, Alan has a nice pair.... biggrin.gif
Chevota79
Probably a front crank seal and when you drive it it spreads oil out under the motor. Had it happen to me on mine it takes only about an hour to change and is really easy.

Josh
Cap'n Krusty
Since that engine DOESN'T HAVE a pan gasket, there are replies here that may be erroneous. Toyota, like GM, uses a Loctite product to seal the pan. It "could" fail, but I have my doubts if it was properly applied. Damn stuff is a PITA to remove. In fact, it's hard enough just to get the pan off. The Cap'n
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 16 2008, 04:27 PM) *

Since that engine DOESN'T HAVE a pan gasket, there are replies here that may be erroneous. Toyota, like GM, uses a Loctite product to seal the pan. It "could" fail, but I have my doubts if it was properly applied. Damn stuff is a PITA to remove. In fact, it's hard enough just to get the pan off. The Cap'n

That was 1978, So I used a sealer instead? Woah, erroneous. I remember it was a pain in the ass.

Edit: Yup, went and did some reading. Cap'n right (still don't remember) no

gasket on the pan. But what most of them were fixing was the front crank seal,

Most said it was an easy fix. Google Toyota+R22+fix oil pan leak, thats where I

found the Write ups on the pan and valve cover, front and rear seal
Yea this engine believe it or not does have some sort of rubber oil pan gasket. i was told engine was rebuilt when i bought it and only has 60000 on it. but i dont have the papers that prove it but maybe the rubber gasket it proof? i mean the damn thing has slikked up the street out in front my house where ive been parking it.thanks for the offer allan ill see how it goes. ive had this truck for about 2 months now. and it would be friggin sweet if i could just at least slow the leak down to a couple of drops after i park it. it seems to not leak as much oil when im easier on it, but if im hard its like it poors out.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 16 2008, 04:27 PM) *

Cap'n... I generally don't disagree with you, but I worked in a shop that only worked on Hondas, Toyotas, Acuras, and Lexus. I did plenty of pan gaskets on toyotas. Not as many as Hondas though. confused24.gif

On your leak... there is many areas it COULD come from but you really just need to clean it off well and put it up on the rack and run it. There may be more than one area leaking.
yea i think if allans offer is still open ill clean it off next weekend and put it up on the rack at his office. oh hey allan im converting my dual exhuast to single to quiet the damn thing down..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.