Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about Master Cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WizPorsche914
I have a question. Im going to replace my Master Cylinder soon. What tools will I need to do the job and is it easy.
Joe Bob
First you buy one of the Clymer or Haynes books. Read it.....you'll need clean fluid, 13,12,11,10mm wrenches at least....then the bleeder screw wrenches which are 8mm in most cases and sometimes smaller.

If you don't have a complete set of metirc wrenches you should be heasding to Sears....

it's about a seven on the 1-10 scale. A lot of people suggest bench bleeding the cylinder before installation. Unless you have help you'll need a pressure bleeder to do the calipers...
TravisNeff
13mm wrench: for the MC to the body of the car
needle nose pliers, to pull the electrical connector(s) and pull/install the feed tubes

It's a fairly straightforward job, but it is a real bitch to get the feed lines seated into the new MC.
Joe Bob
Oh yeah, don't forget the reset button on the side....
So.Cal.914
!Wet Spot! May 15 2008, 07:59 PM Post #4

Stoopid people piss me off.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Wetspot? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
Joe Bob
It's what my Dad used to call me when he was pissed at me.....
ejm
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 15 2008, 10:58 PM) *

It's a fairly straightforward job, but it is a real bitch to get the feed lines seated into the new MC.

Loosen the reservoir retaining strap and you can slide the feed lines down a couple of inches. Also keep track of which line went where, if you reverse them they don't fit right.
IronHillRestorations
Sometimes a flare wrench works much better than an open end on the brake line fittings.
ericread
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 15 2008, 08:06 PM) *

!Wet Spot! May 15 2008, 07:59 PM Post #4

Stoopid people piss me off.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 5

Wetspot? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

It's where you sleep when you're in "Love"..
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(9146986 @ May 16 2008, 10:56 AM) *

Sometimes a flare wrench works much better than an open end on the brake line fittings.

And a 7mm wrench is a better fit than an 8mm wrench on the 7mm bleeders. The Cap'n
trapper

Loosen the reservoir retaining strap and you can slide the feed lines down a couple of inches. Also keep track of which line went where, if you reverse them they don't fit right.

I just put a 23mm M/C on my 914-6 this past Saturday and am having problems seating the feed lines. Now I'm wondering if I screwed up and crossed the lines. Does anybody have a picture or know which line goes where. There is a left and right coming through the body under the gas tank. Does the left line (outer) go to the front or rear of the M/C? Also, is it easier to put the black rubber grommets on the lines and them insert into the M/C or try to put the lines into the grommets in the M/C? Any special tools you have used for this? Thanks.[i]java script:emoticon(':(', 'smid_2')
sad.gif
trapper

It's done, now I remember why I didn't want to change one of those again!
headbang.gif Now for a beer3.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(trapper @ May 19 2008, 04:59 PM) *

It's done, now I remember why I didn't want to change one of those again!
headbang.gif Now for a beer3.gif

Any tips or tricks to share? Did you end up pushing the lines in the grommets or putting the grommets on the lines and then inserting?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.