Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Anybody Own a Honda Pilot and Tow with it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ferg
Looking at a Honda Pilot to replace my Xterra. (mainly for the 3rd row seat) I know it does not have a real frame like my Xterra and the tow rating reflects that. Xterra=5500 Pilot=3500 or 4500 pulling a boat trailer, still figuring out why that makes a difference, seems to be due to boat trailer design and less tongue weight.

My camper weighs in at 2600 Dry, I figure with gear and my family we are in the 3-3200 range. Tongue weight is 170.

I think my car trailer is only about 800lbs, so with a 914 or 911 similar weights to the camper.

I've done some reading with mixed reviews, looking for some real world input from members.

Ferg beerchug.gif

purple
My parents had a jeep cherokee, a '91 model I believe with the 4.0L inline six and they are Uni-body vehicles. It never had a problem pulling lots of weight.

They now have a diesel jeep grand cherokee and it can pull 6500 Lbs. Uni-bodies are great for towing when they are designed for it. Jeep makes great vehicles for this.

Just trying to break the myth that you need a frame to haul a mediocre amount of weight. For 25K pounds, i can see a dually.
Joe Bob
All I know is that when you tow near the max weight, stuff breaks. My 1/2 ton was ALWAYS burning thru brakes, the wife would get 15K on them. My 3/4 ton...60K....same pads.

Double axle trailer.....no problem on the brakes and tires....single axle....nothing but problems on the bearings, tires and surge brakes...
So.Cal.914
From some negative info on other 'Tow' worthy vehicles, it appears the running

gear is more of a problem. I don't know if Honda has addressed this or not.

Rearends going out was what most of the bitchen was about.
purple
QUOTE(!Wet Spot! @ May 16 2008, 10:41 AM) *

All I know is that when you tow near the max weight, stuff breaks. My 1/2 ton was ALWAYS burning thru brakes, the wife would get 15K on them. My 3/4 ton...60K....same pads.

Double axle trailer.....no problem on the brakes and tires....single axle....nothing but problems on the bearings, tires and surge brakes...

was that an F150?

i ask because that is quite possibly, the most horrid example of a 'truck' i've ever seen.

Working at lowes as a loader, it never failed some dude wanted a full pallet of tile put in the back of one of these. f150's are worthless and ridgelines would suit the owners better for 99% of how they get used on a daily basis. I blame the auto makers for making the base full size truck as pussy as possible so you have to buy the next step up, aka f250 HD, 2500 ram, 2500 silverado.

it's sad; watching the springs bend backwards on a supposed 'full size' truck when you put tile in the back of it. my buddy's 2500 cummins was a hoss! you put a load like that in the bed and it just kisses the helper springs.

for towing, make sure your trailer has good brakes and you wont have problems. you were probably towing over the max limit of UN-BRAKED load, which is significantly lower than max rating. towing isnt hard if you read the manual.
Ferg
Thanks for the info, I was high bidder at a dealer sale at 21300 with a "if", I ran the carfax and it had a "stolen" record, so I passed...

Not to say the Pilot is out of the running completely but this one sure is. I'm still leaning heavily towards a Pathfinder. (same running gear as my Xterra)

Ferg
shelby/914
Ferg, does your pop-up have any kind of brakes? Given that you will be towing in the mountains most of the time you might want to consider putting brakes on it or going with the more substantial tow vehicle like the Pathfinder or even larger. You could even go for a full size suv if its main purpose is for towing the camper and the occassional need for the 3rd seat. Obviously you would not want to drive it all of the time. You could probably pick up one real cheap this summer. The wife and I have switched cars since she drives to work every day and I'm mostly home, she has the BMW and I have the Expedition. So now she is routinely getting 25/6 in town instead of 13. We'll probably never sell it as it's pretty much worthless as a trane in but comes in handy from time to time. Might also want to check into Colo law on trailer weights and brake requirements. They became much more restrictive a few years back, requiring brakes at lower weights and on both axels on tandems.
Joe Bob
Chevrolet/GMC. I grew up with Ford's and was underwhelmed on the dealer support in my area and the general design so I went with GM.....they are marginally better.

I'm just glad I purchased an extended warranty.....ECU, fuel pump, a/c relays, gauge pod, heated seats, fuel tanks, On Board Vapor Recovery, just to name a few of the screw ups....

Stoopid thing gets 13mpg and mostly sits....worthless as a trade in. Wife now drives a Volvo wagon and it gets 25-30mpg. But we have a boat and on long drives it gets 16...woo hoo....and it's roomier for the monsters, but they still bitch....
Ferg
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ May 16 2008, 09:28 AM) *

Ferg, does your pop-up have any kind of brakes? Given that you will be towing in the mountains most of the time you might want to consider putting brakes on it or going with the more substantial tow vehicle like the Pathfinder or even larger. You could even go for a full size suv if its main purpose is for towing the camper and the occassional need for the 3rd seat. Obviously you would not want to drive it all of the time. You could probably pick up one real cheap this summer. The wife and I have switched cars since she drives to work every day and I'm mostly home, she has the BMW and I have the Expedition. So now she is routinely getting 25/6 in town instead of 13. We'll probably never sell it as it's pretty much worthless as a trane in but comes in handy from time to time. Might also want to check into Colo law on trailer weights and brake requirements. They became much more restrictive a few years back, requiring brakes at lower weights and on both axels on tandems.

Yes, electric brakes on the camper and my car trailer, and the Xterra has brake controller ect.

The Xterra and the Pathfinder are exactly the same truck, Pathfinder is just stretched a bit and offers a third row seat.

I'm extremely happy with the Xterra so far, it tows excellent and the 264hp 4.0 six will outdrag my 911, and gets almost 20mpg when driven nicely.

Ferg biggrin.gif

gopack
I own a 2004 Honda Pilot, EX-L and have towed my car on a uhaul trailer from New Mexico to Idaho, and Idaho to Wisconsin with no problems. Just make sure you have added a transmission cooler, and take it easy in cross winds because the Pilot doesn't have the weight that a big PU has. I got about 14 MPG for the trip. The U Haul car transporter weighs in at 2000lbs, and the car as it sat weighed close to that as well! Also have towed cars on the uhauls back and forth to IL on numerous occassions!
On a side note, i really like the Pilot. it is a well built, well engineered CAR, BUT the 3rd row of seats are a death trap! small, and VERY close to the rear window. If you need to routinely travel with 8 passengers, I would suggest (shudder) something like a suburban or large van of some kind!

Click to view attachment
Ferg
Thanks Gopack... Sister has a Pilot and she loves it as well.

3rd row seats for us are strictly for when company is in town...

Right now the Xterra's back seat has two anchor systems for our two carseats. No room for a even a third person back there, rendering it a 4 person vehicle.

Now that Mom and Pop are very close to retirement, they will be visiting Colorado more often, and it would be nice to take one vehicle places rather than two...

Ferg beerchug.gif
TROJANMAN
Ask Scotty. He has a Ridgeline (same truck car?)
He probably knows everything you probably want to know.
And it's really pretty I hear.

I'd recommend a used Expedition and park it on the side of the house.
That's what we do with ours. No one drives it anymore, but we keep it around for visiting family and towing.
What a waste.............dry.gif
Scott S
Unfortunately it is my understanding that the frames are completely different. My RL has a normal ladder frame, then the main body structure is welded to it. The thing is amazingly stiff. Build quality seems to be top notch however, and like your Xterra, the thing seems to really scoot.

I got my wheels abck from the powder coater... yes, it is very pretty - if you like big giant white refridgerators.

Need to get the new grill. The thing looks like a barbque burner from the front.

You should be able to get a killer deal. Not only are there large rebates ($6k) but there is a redesign of the Pilot for 2009, so dealers will be dumping the old body style.

Good Luck!!
Ferg
laugh.gif Greg, your Ford might be a collector truck someday blink.gif I drove your Expedition back from Moab remember biggrin.gif I hate to tell you, but the Xterra felt better as a tow vehicle, but that could be due to your heavy ass trailer...

I've been Nissan loyal for 10 years now... The Pilot was a thought if it was a good enough deal, but not that fell through, I'm most likely going the Pathfinder route.

Ferg
Ferg
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 16 2008, 10:52 AM) *

Unfortunately it is my understanding that the frames are completely different. My RL has a normal ladder frame, then the main body structure is welded to it. The thing is amazingly stiff. Build quality seems to be top notch however, and like your Xterra, the thing seems to really scoot.

I got my wheels abck from the powder coater... yes, it is very pretty - if you like big giant white refridgerators.

Need to get the new grill. The thing looks like a barbque burner from the front.

You should be able to get a killer deal. Not only are there large rebates ($6k) but there is a redesign of the Pilot for 2009, so dealers will be dumping the old body style.

Good Luck!!

Scotty, we need some pics of that Maytag.

Ferg biggrin.gif
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 16 2008, 10:58 AM) *

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ May 16 2008, 10:52 AM) *

Good Luck!!

Scotty, we need some pics of that Maytag.

Ferg biggrin.gif

I hear it's a work in progress............

IPB Image

av-943.gif
Scott S
TROJANMAN
smile.gif
Scott S
this is closer....
Scott S
now were talkin....
TROJANMAN
More like this biggrin.gif

1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 16 2008, 07:09 AM) *

I've done some reading with mixed reviews, looking for some real world input from members.

Ferg beerchug.gif

Though I don't own a Pilot, having worked for the same Honda dealer since 1979 and working closely with the service department, I can offer some real world feedback. If your towing requirements are as outlined, the Pilot will provide you with adequate performance, though not on the level of the bigger (and thirstier) larger displacement competitors. If you do plan on getting a Pilot, the factory towing package, which includes a transmission and power steering cooler, must be fitted if you intend to tow.
Overall, customer satisfaction with the 2004-2007 Pilot models has been exemplary.

Paul
Ferg
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ May 16 2008, 12:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Ferg @ May 16 2008, 07:09 AM) *

Ferg beerchug.gif

Though I don't own a Pilot, having worked for the same Honda dealer since 1979 and working closely with the service department, I can offer some real world feedback. If your towing requirements are as outlined, the Pilot will provide you with adequate performance, though not on the level of the bigger (and thirstier) larger displacement competitors. If you do plan on getting a Pilot, the factory towing package, which includes a transmission and power steering cooler, must be fitted if you intend to tow.
Overall, customer satisfaction with the 2004-2007 Pilot models has been exemplary.

Paul

Thanks Paul beerchug.gif

Considering my location and a drive from 5300ft to 10-12,000 feet. (regular camping trip type drive) Would you or your service guys feel the same way?

Ferg
1970 Neun vierzehn
[quote name='Ferg' date='May 16 2008, 12:59 PM' post='1032889']

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks Paul beerchug.gif

Considering my location and a drive from 5300ft to 10-12,000 feet. (regular camping trip type drive) Would you or your service guys feel the same way?

Ferg
[/quote]

Ferg,
I'd want to know the frequency and duration of your towing events. Several times a year of 3-500 mile trips, I'd have no concerns. If, however, you are towing several times a month for most of the year, and going 200+ miles every time, I'd recommend a domestic V-8 from Ford or GM. Those are not my favorite vehicles,but they do provide a real service for specific applications, like yours may be.

Paul
Gary
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 16 2008, 10:57 AM) *

laugh.gif Greg, your Ford might be a collector truck someday blink.gif I drove your Expedition back from Moab remember biggrin.gif I hate to tell you, but the Xterra felt better as a tow vehicle, but that could be due to your heavy ass trailer...

I've been Nissan loyal for 10 years now... The Pilot was a thought if it was a good enough deal, but not that fell through, I'm most likely going the Pathfinder route.

Ferg

Our people/stuff hauler is an '04 Armada with the tow package. 9200# rating (I'm going from memory). It takes a 14 foot utility trailer in stride loaded with 914 or TR3 or "stuff". Biggest load so far about #6000 - no sweat and got about 12 MPG. Recent run with a 914 on the trailer was 14 MPG. Seats 8 comfortably.
Ferg
[quote name='1970 Neun vierzehn' date='May 16 2008, 01:14 PM' post='1032897']
[quote name='Ferg' date='May 16 2008, 12:59 PM' post='1032889']

Paul
[/quote]

Thanks Paul beerchug.gif

Ferg
[/quote]

Ferg,
I'd want to know the frequency and duration of your towing events. Several times a year of 3-500 mile trips, I'd have no concerns. If, however, you are towing several times a month for most of the year, and going 200+ miles every time, I'd recommend a domestic V-8 from Ford or GM. Those are not my favorite vehicles,but they do provide a real service for specific applications, like yours may be.

Paul
[/quote]

Good questions... I use the car trailer maybe twice a year like to Moab for RRC for instance. About 700 round trip.

Camping is "about" twice a month. Mostly local, under 250 for the weekend. With one longer trip a year thrown in. Always Mountain driving, as I live right at the base of them.

If you can't tell my by replies, I've pretty much talked myself out of the Pilot... Nothing is certain though, and I'm in no rush to get rid of my Xterra as it is a wonderful tow vehicle, just a tad small sometimes.

Basically I'm realizing I want 5-6k towing capacity, 3rd row seating, 20 mpg, and I prefer real 4wd vs Awd. I won't buy a Explorer, So that leaves the Pathfinder, and not much else...

My only issue with the Pathfinder is that it's not "that" much bigger than what we have now, and that a few years down the road, I'd be wishing for something a little larger. (my issue right now with my Xterra)

Ferg
jhadler
QUOTE(!Wet Spot! @ May 16 2008, 10:31 AM) *

...Wife now drives a Volvo wagon and it gets 25-30mpg. But we have a boat and on long drives it gets 16...woo hoo....and it's roomier for the monsters, but they still bitch....

Do you tow at all with the Volvo? I have a '95 850 Turbo wagon, and ultimately plan to tow my 914 with it (should I ever get the poor thing running again...). Rated 3300 lb capacity, and 220 lb ft of torque.

Thoughts?

-Josh2
gopack
QUOTE(Ferg @ May 16 2008, 01:57 PM) *

Ferg

A honda will ALWAYS have better resale if you aren't planning on driving it untill it is used up though! that is why we choose the pilot! when we bbought new, the "retail' prices for used 2004s was MORE than new at the same dealership! how fuched up is that?!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.