Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel tank capacity?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yellow914
I was wondering what the capacity is of the fuel tank? My Haynes manual say 16.4 Gal. (I don't have the book on me at the moment) but I seem to only squeeze about 12.5 into the tank. BTW I ran it dry yesterday so this is straight from the pump?...Any thoughts.

Also this is my daily drive and I commute round trip 85 miles..so I'm trying to work out my gas mileage.

thanks
Scott
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(yellow914 @ May 16 2008, 01:55 PM) *

I was wondering what the capacity is of the fuel tank? My Haynes manual say 16.4 Gal. (I don't have the book on me at the moment) but I seem to only squeeze about 12.5 into the tank. BTW I ran it dry yesterday so this is straight from the pump?...Any thoughts.

Also this is my daily drive and I commute round trip 85 miles..so I'm trying to work out my gas mileage.

thanks
Scott

yup nice huh?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I actually drove a "carbed" 914 the other day, home. (please do not tell any one) anyway started off in the morning and actually ran out of gas with a 1/4 tank! Knew immediately what happened. When making the conversion someone used the return line as the feed line from the tank. This causes the car to run out with gas still in the tank!
Loser_Cruiser
which side of the tank is the feed and wich side is the return?
JeffBowlsby
Its 16.4 gals.

I have similar experiences and it took me awhile to figure it out. When the gas pump nozzle is inserted into the 914 tank, the auto shutoff occurs when the tank is not full. So when filling, pull out the nozzle (and hand hold the rubber out sleeve to overide the cut-off switch) so that the tank is FULL. You can stick your head in there just above the tank opening port and see the level of fuel to confirm if its FULL.

That, and/or maybe your gas gauge is off a bit?
Cevan
You don't need to know the tank capacity to calculate your gas mileage (assuming your odometer works and is accurate. Mine is off by about 7%.). Just top off the tank and record the mileage. Drive it. When you get gas again, top it off and record the amount of gas you put in and how far you drove since the last fillup. Divide the miles by gallons and you get mpg.

TheCabinetmaker
I did a test on this a few years ago. After replacing the lines in the tunnel, and reinstalling the tank, I flat towed it to the gas station 3blocks from my shop. From a dry tank it took 2.3 gallons for the reserve light to go out, and 16.6 gallons full to the top
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 16 2008, 02:06 PM) *

I am sorry I did not pay attention, you can see the supply and return in the bottom of the tank. I blew air through the lines, my buddy told me when it blew out the supply.
yellow914
My ODO/SPEEDO are currently toast! (yet another part I'll need)...So I gageing by weelky mileage and refueling amounts..I was guessing I'm getting between 25 to 28 MPG freeway miles...does this sound in the ball park?

Thanks
Scott
Trevorg7
QUOTE(yellow914 @ May 16 2008, 03:05 PM) *

My ODO/SPEEDO are currently toast! (yet another part I'll need)...So I gageing by weelky mileage and refueling amounts..I was guessing I'm getting between 25 to 28 MPG freeway miles...does this sound in the ball park?

Thanks
Scott

Hard to say without knowing your set up and driving style.

I can tell you that I get 27mpg in my 1.7 with dual weber 34icts during freeway commute which is mixed stop and go and at the limit driving.

T
yellow914
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ May 16 2008, 03:08 PM) *

Thanks
Scott

I can tell you that I get 27mpg in my 1.7 with dual weber 34icts during freeway commute which is mixed stop and go and at the limit driving.

T

Thanks Trevor,

Since we live in the same area I'd guess we have about the same style Stop, Go, Stop Stop Stop..Go like hell!!!..then hard on the breaks! headbang.gif ..thats just the Bay Area/San Jose commute in a nutshell...so 27 MPG sounds pretty close
gopack
QUOTE(yellow914 @ May 16 2008, 05:05 PM) *

Thanks
Scott

hijacked.gif
there is a great tech article on PP "gauge repair" for fixing the odometer on the 914 speedo. I did it in an hour and a half, so you know it is easy. while I was in there I cleaned the gauge face and it looks WAAAAYYYYY better too! now all I have to do is put the car back together so it will have something to record!
hijacked.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 16 2008, 01:11 PM) *

Its 16.4 gals.
I have similar experiences and it took me awhile to figure it out. When the gas pump nozzle is inserted into the 914 tank, the auto shutoff occurs when the tank is not full. So when filling, pull out the nozzle (and hand hold the rubber out sleeve to overide the cut-off switch) so that the tank is FULL. You can stick your head in there just above the tank opening port and see the level of fuel to confirm if its FULL.

agree.gif back in the days when the 914s were new, german gas pump nozzles didn't have any evap trapping system. it was much easier to actually get the tank full ...
shades.gif Andy
Trevorg7
QUOTE(yellow914 @ May 16 2008, 03:15 PM) *

Thanks
Scott

T

Thanks Trevor,

Since we live in the same area I'd guess we have about the same style Stop, Go, Stop Stop Stop..Go like hell!!!..then hard on the breaks! headbang.gif ..thats just the Bay Area/San Jose commute in a nutshell...so 27 MPG sounds pretty close

Exactly! To give you added perspective, this was from Almaden to San Mateo every day. So up 85 from Almaden EXWY (stop and go), to 280 (at the limit), to 92 (mixed). 84 miles each day round trip.

T
yellow914
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ May 16 2008, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(yellow914 @ May 16 2008, 03:15 PM) *

Thanks
Scott

T

Thanks Trevor,

Exactly! To give you added perspective, this was from Almaden to San Mateo every day. So up 85 from Almaden EXWY (stop and go), to 280 (at the limit), to 92 (mixed). 84 miles each day round trip.

T

I'm starting from almost the same area Branham/Meridian...but head to Pleasanton 85/87 to 680 North....but I've got the reverse commute while you're in the thick of it and don't see relief until 280 at Foothill if you're lucky.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 16 2008, 02:48 PM) *

I am sorry I did not pay attention, you can see the supply and return in the bottom of the tank. I blew air through the lines, my buddy told me when it blew out the supply.

ok so which side was which. passanger side fitting=feed? return?
SLITS
QUOTE(Loser_Cruiser @ May 16 2008, 04:55 PM) *

.... Large line supply .... smaller line return. And the supply has the sock over it if you are peering into the tank.
So.Cal.914

My memory just isn't what it used to be. I can remember the event, but the finer points have become dull.
Loser_Cruiser
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 16 2008, 07:23 PM) *

My memory just isn't what it used to be. I can remember the event, but the finer points have become dull.

Thats cool I can't remember most of what happened today, and I didn't even notice that one of the fittings was smaller than the other last time I was in there..
Cevan
A '75 1.8 liter car has the same diameter supply and return lines. Both lines come out the passenger side of the tank, one is in front of the other on that side. IIRC, the supply line is the one closest to the front. As someone said below, with the tank almost empty, you should be able to see the brass fuel screen sticking up. That's the supply.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.