Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shipping Wheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
How do you go about determining the shipping cost, UPS or Fed-X , for wheels ?

I recently received 4 wheels with tires. They were wrapped with the clear plastic wrap and each had its own label. The total cost was $85 to ship from No Cal to So Cal

Do you calculate the cost on-line ? or does it require a trip to the Fed Ex /UPS place ?

Any insight will be appreciated

Jim
Dr. Roger
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ May 16 2008, 09:40 PM) *

How do you go about determining the shipping cost, UPS or Fed-X , for wheels ?

I recently received 4 wheels with tires. They were wrapped with the clear plastic wrap and each had its own label. The total cost was $85 to ship from No Cal to So Cal

Do you calculate the cost on-line ? or does it require a trip to the Fed Ex /UPS place ?

Any insight will be appreciated

Jim

UPS and I believe Fed Ex use "oversize 1 and 2" to rate those irregular sized parcels. Irregular means $$$. Greyhound is IMHO the top choice for shipping tires, wheels, fenders....

One way to find out.....
Joe Bob
Big items like that...actually get surcharged when NOT in a box by FedUp and UPSuxz......

I've been using USPS a LOT of late, I can buy the freight online, get insurance and the mail dude will pick it up.

Big items in the US, go by the "dog"....I'm tired of screwing with Fed/UPS bullshit when there is damage. First thing they say, you packed it wrong, yer fault.

They even did that once when I HAD THE FUCKING UPS Store do the packing....
gotxqss
I typically go to a discount tire type of store and raid them for boxes. Put each wheel in a box and ship usps. Typically around $1-$1.50 per lb on the scales. Decent set of wheels that arnt bricks normally around 100 for the set to ship. with tires and little heavier 150 and if its cross country and they are 18's with tires around 200. ROUGHLY of course.
rhodyguy
i source wheel boxes from discount too. box size... i use the ones that are tall enough to hold 2 wheels. for like 16"x 9" or 10" wheels. for 4 wheels packed individually the $85 is about right. last time i shipped with 2 wheels per box the total cost was around $50 iirc. the online calculator at fedex no longer seems to work for me. the fedex service center i ship from tells me to call the toll free #. i gave up after waiting 15 minutes.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 17 2008, 08:22 AM) *

i source wheel boxes from discount too. box size... i use the ones that are tall enough to hold 2 wheels. for like 16"x 9" or 10" wheels. for 4 wheels packed individually the $85 is about right. last time i shipped with 2 wheels per box the total cost was around $50 iirc. the online calculator at fedex no longer seems to work for me. the fedex service center i ship from tells me to call the toll free #. i gave up after waiting 15 minutes.

Thanks. smile.gif
PRS914-6
Good advice already written......Do boxes for sure or get charged more. Tire/wheel shops will usually give them to you for free. Wrap the edges with bubble wrap. If I have small wheels, I tape two boxes together. It's a little cheaper that way
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.