Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do I get the Sloth award?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bill D
I found a 73 914 in good condition in July 2006. The intention from day one was to convert this car to electric or diesel.

The car had been stored for 19 years. I had to do the typical flush the gas tank rebuild the calipers etc. I put a hundred miles or so on the motor that was in the car and then it sat for a few months while I started gathering up information to do an EV
conversion. The numbers for weight and range just didn't add up for my requirements so a diesel conversion was decided on. Now I just hope to get it running before we run out of oil.

Click to view attachment
Bartlett 914
I have been wondering when this would be done. A TDI beats a hybrid IMO. Lots of luck on your project.

Sloth? I seriously doubt it!
So.Cal.914

Now I just hope to get it running before we run out of oil.

Aaaah, but we don't have to worry about it. I have been looking into bio-diesel.

It is a possibility, there making it from all sorts of things. Good Luck with this,

when I heard about the subaru flat diesel, I thought this would be a fun project.

Click to view attachment
Todd Enlund
With some fairly minor mods, those TDIs can crank out SERIOUS torque... be careful with that 901!
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 17 2008, 09:24 AM) *

With some fairly minor mods, those TDIs can crank out SERIOUS torque... be careful with that 901!

Really, I did not consider the torque, might need another box.
r_towle
the 1.9 wont out perform the 914 transmission.
I think the 2.4 turbo is the beast to hunt down...its got loads of support in the UK from the Eurovan crowd...I loved that motor..it can be made to really perform..

Rich
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2008, 10:48 AM) *

the 1.9 wont out perform the 914 transmission.

Not stock, it won't. 150-180 ft/lbs depending on specifics. But, if you are inclined to modify it for performance, a chip, injectors and boost can more than double that.
swl
Very cool Bill. Looking forward to watching your progress.
Bill D
I've been on this project for 2 years which is the personal part of my sloth persona. I've been looking at some of the work you guys have been able to do on your projects and have been amazed at the great work you all have been able to do in a short amount of time. I wouldn't be as far along as I am now if I hadn't found another 914 friend close by that we could exchange help and ideas with.

Click to view attachment
r_towle
kind of a related question.
In reality, how much air would be needed in the engine bay?

Supposing you have a radiator, could you route the air intake to a specific vent, or duct and then close off the engine bay (eliminate the grills)???

Rich
swl
2 years and you already have the engine in? Pishtosh - you're the hare not a sloth!!
Bill D
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 17 2008, 11:47 AM) *

Now I just hope to get it running before we run out of oil.

Aaaah, but we don't have to worry about it. I have been looking into bio-diesel.

It is a possibility, there making it from all sorts of things. Good Luck with this,

when I heard about the subaru flat diesel, I thought this would be a fun project.

Click to view attachment

I had the same car in the same color years ago. An 83 300CDT. You can go 50mph on dirt roads with chuck holes and not feel a thing or hear a rattle. It had 275K miles on the original water pump when somebody crashed into ours. Amazing car.

I'm hoping bio diesel production will pick up (we have a coop on the other side of town and maybe one will open up closer). I don't want to build a bio plant in the garage for personal consumption.
Bill D
Rich,

You probably need some air flow in the engine compartment. Maybe what passes under the car would be enough. I'm going to put a radiator on the left side of the engine compartment and if that isn't good enough add one where the muffler used to go. I would like to keep the front trunk intact.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE(r_towle @ May 17 2008, 07:09 PM) *

kind of a related question.
In reality, how much air would be needed in the engine bay?

Supposing you have a radiator, could you route the air intake to a specific vent, or duct and then close off the engine bay (eliminate the grills)???

Rich

Bill D
It's kind of in. The motor is laying on the old engine bracket. Still need to fabricate some kind of mounts and crossbar.

Thank you to whoever posted the picture of using 911 engine mounts, good idea. I've already put those in.

QUOTE(swl @ May 17 2008, 07:14 PM) *

2 years and you already have the engine in? Pishtosh - you're the hare not a sloth!!

r_towle
Tell me a few things please.
How are you bolting in the tranny to motor???
Is there an adapter needed?

Also starter location etc???

Rich
effutuo101
I would love to do a suby diesel conversion someday. Good luck! I will watch this thread for updates.
andys
Bill,

If that's a post '97 motor, then AFAIK any Audi/VW Passat transaxle (model 012 [nee Boxster])will bolt up to it. This would give you a modern 5 speed and only require a cable shifter (and no trans adapter plate). I think the stock CV's will bolt to the flanges; someone here has swapped an Audi/Boxster trans who may be better able to answer that question.

Andys
okieflyr
Given the torque that the diesel is putting out, I'd highly recomend using the 012 trans from the Passat. The best, would be one that was behind the same motor as the gearing will be MUCH improved. It would require converting your pedal cluster to accomodate a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. And you would also need to get creative for axles as the lengths will be different, as well as the flange diameter.
I did the above for my 1.8t conversion, and it is heads above in drivability over the 901 I moved from.
If you are only going to "toodle around", then what you have may work fine.
Click to view attachment
plymouth37
Very cool project, I will definitely be watching this one!
Nice work!
championgt1
agree.gif Any updates?
jdogg
Yeah, Bill.....any updates? I know your company is gone, and your house projects should have been completed by now...Time to get back to work!!!

r_towle
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 12 2008, 10:45 PM) *

Given the torque that the diesel is putting out, I'd highly recomend using the 012 trans from the Passat. The best, would be one that was behind the same motor as the gearing will be MUCH improved. It would require converting your pedal cluster to accomodate a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. And you would also need to get creative for axles as the lengths will be different, as well as the flange diameter.
I did the above for my 1.8t conversion, and it is heads above in drivability over the 901 I moved from.
Click to view attachment

Hi,
Would you provide alot more detail on your conversion?
more pics of the motor/tranny in place...farther away so we can see it.

Also, what kind of mileage (mpg) are you getting with the 914D

Rich
andys
QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 12 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Actually, the 012 gear ratios for the TDI are nearly identical to the 901 ratios. I agree that the 012 grearbox would be the prefered way to go. Between 012's however, there are many ratio variations to choose from depending on the code.

BTW, how did you solve the hyraulic clutch issue on your conversion? Also, can you please post more photos of your 1.8T swap, as I know many are interested in this combination.

Thanks,

Andys

Andys
Bill D
I have the engine in place with a fabricated front mount (thanks Jason) and a Kennedy adapter mounted to the 901 trans. The engine is a AAZ which has the same bolt pattern as an old Rabbit. I milled a exhaust mounting flange using 1/4" plate and have some 2 1/4" stainless exhaust bends to act as a down pipe.

I have installed stainless fuel lines and have ordered new carpet and speaker pods (thanks 914world vendors).

I need to start another thread but my perfect looking inside sound deadening on the floor is lifting which leaves a great place for water to collect onto bear metal. After seeing this I would certantly remove this crap on any 914 that still has the original pans. I chipped away on the material on the drivers side and all was well but the passenger side was still sticking in most places. I ended up being saved by using a Fein tool to do the scraping and it save more than a few hours of labor.

Bill
Bill D
Some pics of the slow progress

type11969
Bill - How much was the engine and where did you purchase it from? Always thought a diesel 914 would be pretty damn cool. The AAZ isn't a TDI, right? Does that make the install and connection easier or more difficult?

Thanks,

Chris
Bill D

I purchased the engine from VW a few years ago. It is a non TDI and is easier to install. There are places that sell these engines for vanagon conversions. You would have to contact them to find out how much. There are used 1.6 TD motors that are around and would be much less expensive.

QUOTE(type11969 @ Aug 13 2008, 07:15 PM) *

Bill - How much was the engine and where did you purchase it from? Always thought a diesel 914 would be pretty damn cool. The AAZ isn't a TDI, right? Does that make the install and connection easier or more difficult?

Thanks,

Chris

type11969
Thanks
neo914-6
QUOTE(Bill D @ Aug 13 2008, 05:23 PM) *

I purchased the engine from VW a few years ago. It is a non TDI and is easier to install. There are places that sell these engines for vanagon conversions. You would have to contact them to find out how much. There are used 1.6 TD motors that are around and would be much less expensive.

QUOTE(type11969 @ Aug 13 2008, 07:15 PM) *

Thanks,

Chris

from the dealer? nice project! clap56.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(andys @ Aug 13 2008, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(okieflyr @ Aug 12 2008, 07:45 PM) *

Actually, the 012 gear ratios for the TDI are nearly identical to the 901 ratios. I agree that the 012 grearbox would be the prefered way to go. Between 012's however, there are many ratio variations to choose from depending on the code.

BTW, how did you solve the hyraulic clutch issue on your conversion? Also, can you please post more photos of your 1.8T swap, as I know many are interested in this combination.

Thanks,

Andys

Andys

agree.gif ! did you use unequal length axles?
BiG bOgGs
Where did you get your adapter plate? Or did you fab it yourself? Can you please let us know what it took to match the engine to the trans.

I have dropped a 1.6 TD into my Suzuki Samurai and I love it. It would be cool to have one in my 914 also.

Jim
LarryR
SWEET! My 09 jetta tdi is a lot of fun to drive. I can only imagine what its drive train would be like in a 914.

The 09 has 239 ft lb of torque and 139 hp. Even in the 3500 pound jetta it scoots pretty nicely.

Bill D
QUOTE(BiG bOgGs @ Nov 7 2008, 10:51 PM) *

Where did you get your adapter plate? Or did you fab it yourself? Can you please let us know what it took to match the engine to the trans.

I have dropped a 1.6 TD into my Suzuki Samurai and I love it. It would be cool to have one in my 914 also.

Jim

kennedy adapter. They modified my flywheel.

Click to view attachment
PatrickB
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Aug 13 2008, 12:52 AM) *

agree.gif Any updates?

In the middle of this same conversion, lots of AAZ engines here in Canada... '74 2 litre car that needs the engine freshened anyway, and a decent AAZ in stock, so got the Kennedy parts . Picked them up a the post office last week. Hoping to see some better pics of the front engine mount you built..
Want to put the rad in the engine compartment if possible, car used to have a 360 Dodge V8 so there's pipes to get the coolant to the front, but I want to get the front trunk back! What did you wind up doing for cooling?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.