Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Damn thing won't start without a prime to the TB
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Steve Thacker

I'm having a hard time getting the car to start without drizzling some gas or starting fluid into the throttle body. Could this be an issue with the cold start valve?

I pulled a node check on all the fuel injectors and they are good to go. I even pulled them to check the spray pattern and amount per so many seconds, all good there.
However, I have not checked the cold start valve for pulse / function. Fuel pressure is at 28lbs and steady. TPS is dead on in settings and very new I might add.

I checked the MPS and it has good vacuum and is unmolested. Checked all the hoses for leaks and connections..all good. Double checked the timing and it is dead on.
Checked the head temp sensor and it is also perfect. I'm stumped....

This thing ran great all last year. I put maybe 50 miles on it and this year the bitch is being stubborn.

Ideas?
ejm
The cold start valve only works when temps are around or below freezing. Check for vacuum leaks or maybe a bad ignition switch. Priming the engine could allow it to run long enough until the key is released to a "good" place.

championgt1
Be careful with the starting fluid. I blew up my plenum doing that.
Steve Thacker
Well then chuck the CSV thought. I put a new ignition switch in the darn thing last year also and it has a whopping 50 miles on it as I rarely drive the car!

OK riddle me this? I checked all four fuel injector plugs while the engine is cranking over and they pulse and spray perfectly. I also have a brand new set of trigger points . Spark is via the Crane optical unit "also brand new". I put a ballast resister in line on it and it creates some great sparks from the sparkys.

I just don't f,ing get it....

Some days I wish I had a grenade.
Spoke
So you do just a little gas in the TB with throttle closed and it starts?
r_towle
check your cht...see if it is reading the temps correctly.

Rich
Steve Thacker
Yep just a little gas and it tries to hit/start. Not always tho. I'm going to pull the sparkys and check them.

I'm also going to check the CHT via the FI site values (banders)
Joe Bob
See my "I'm an idiot thread" ...? Adjust the VALVES!!!!

Fargin' idjut thread...
Steve Thacker
THANKS MIKE! I checked them after your post. Dey is gud to go. Thank god. I hate adjusting them.

Get this...The issue was a lose connection from the the Crane unit to the dizzy. I decided to go through the connections and the friqgin gray wire had come loose from the plug housing. It had just slipped out just a tiny bit and it was not making contact. Pushed the sucker back in checked the other two wires, they were loose also!
Pushed them all in and presto we have ignition at the key level. Fires up first time, every time. No mo prime'in

I should have checked this the first time since this was a new install. Who would have thunk the wires were not secure in the plug housing? I'm a Fargin' IDJUT !!!!

I'm so f'ing happy!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.