Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just installed the Rennshift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PeeGreen 914
So I have installed a few different short shifters and I really must say this was the easiest to line up I have encountered. My car shifts awsome now piratenanner.gif . The only thing I don't get is why everything is in standard. I don't have any standard sized tools. I have a big box full of metric and was rather sad to find I needed standard sized tools for my European auto.
messix
because it's 'merican and it works better that way.
biosurfer1
Jon,

how did it shift before the Rennshift? Were you able to find all gears? What about it shifts "better" now?

JRust
Yes more info on the change. I am interested in buying it myself if it that much better.
Gint
agree.gif I'd really like to hear more details about why you like it better.

My 914 has already shifted pretty well. I've driven a Rennshift equipped 914. It was admittedly a short drive, but I must say, I didn't really like the feel. Now James makes a quality product and I'm not saying about negative about the shifter itself. It's extremely nice and appears to be very well built and probably bulletproof. But my personal preference would be a decent shifting stock unit. Maybe I should get some more time with a Rennshifter. In lieu of that however (since they aren't installed everywhere around here), I'd really like to hear ore about your experience.
SirAndy
it's springloaded. the shifter actually bounces back to the 2-3 plane if you put it in neutrual. it takes some time getting used to, but now i can't even imagine not having one ...

it turned the stock stirthepot.gif into driving.gif

w00t.gif Andy
PeeGreen 914
Well, first off, the shifts are much more smooth. The short shifters had too stiff of springs and the lock out was a pain. I didn't mind before but now I am thinking I was crazy. The shifter rests in neutral between the 2nd and 3rd plain. it moves over to the Reverse and 1st or 4th and 5th plains with ease. In fact you can push the shifter with one fingure. The regular shifter is okay but you sometimes get lost in the gears and the short shift can be hard on the syncros. This is very precise and has the throw adjustment so you won't damage your gears or syncros. Also has a manual reverse lockout that I am loving. Anything else you would like to know? biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
ya, when are you going to do a US tour so everyone posting can try it out?smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Come to the WCR and you can try it and my new 2.4l out. Just got the interior all back together, Rhino lined, Sparco seats, and now the Rennshift. I took it out for a nice long drive today. It was very nice biggrin.gif
JRust
I will try it out at WCR for sure. I am doing the swap to a side shift as we speak. I'm replacing all the bushings so my shifting will be much improved anyway. Still will be interested in how well it feels. That may be my next purchase this summer. blink.gif
Gint
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 18 2008, 04:12 PM) *
it's springloaded. the shifter actually bounces back to the 2-3 plane if you put it in neutrual. it takes some time getting used to, but now i can't even imagine not having one ...

it turned the stock stirthepot.gif into driving.gif

w00t.gif Andy

Mine does that now. At least it will bounce from 1st or reverse and when pushed with no real pressure in nuetral and to the left, it rests right on the 2-3 plane.

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 18 2008, 05:26 PM) *
Well, first off, the shifts are much more smooth. The short shifters had too stiff of springs and the lock out was a pain. I didn't mind before but now I am thinking I was crazy. The shifter rests in neutral between the 2nd and 3rd plain. it moves over to the Reverse and 1st or 4th and 5th plains with ease. In fact you can push the shifter with one fingure. The regular shifter is okay but you sometimes get lost in the gears and the short shift can be hard on the syncros. This is very precise and has the throw adjustment so you won't damage your gears or syncros. Also has a manual reverse lockout that I am loving. Anything else you would like to know? biggrin.gif
I agree about the short shift kits. The one that was on my /6 absolutely sucked. But the zambeziteen /4 stock shifter and side shifter transaxle does take some decent force to overcome the springs to get to 1st-reverse, you will not mistake either for 2nd or 3rd.

I really would like to get another try at a rennshifter. I do think I want one (at least I have since I first saw one), but this current car just doesn't justify it.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(JRust @ May 18 2008, 07:34 PM) *

I will try it out at WCR for sure. I am doing the swap to a side shift as we speak. I'm replacing all the bushings so my shifting will be much improved anyway. Still will be interested in how well it feels. That may be my next purchase this summer. blink.gif

You are more than welcome Jamie. Take it for a spin and let me know what you think drunk.gif I have also done all the other bushings before I did this. The bushings helped, but the Rennshift really made the difference.

Gint,

Get a 914 that is worth putting it in confused24.gif
JRust
If it is that impressive maybe I'll get one to bring with me. We can have a smal work party install it in my car. For the benefit of everyone else there for sure. Just so they can see & feel a before & after bs.gif .Okay maybe a little self serving av-943.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Well, they are very simple to install. beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ May 18 2008, 07:59 PM) *

Mine does that now. At least it will bounce from 1st or reverse and when pushed with no real pressure in nuetral and to the left, it rests right on the 2-3 plane.

yeah, but trust me, it ain't the same ... my shifter now feels like the shifter in a modern car. zero slop, tight and precise shifting ...
shades.gif Andy
Grngoat
Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement. I have the same setup, but since I installed it all concurrent with the -6 conversion, I really can't compare it to the old setup. Too much time elapsed to make a good comparison. All of it was easy to install though. I wouldn't go back, it shifts very well - almost like a new car.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 19 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement.

yes, correct. but i drove my car with just the rennshift for years (i have the 1st generation version) before i added the linkage ...
shades.gif Andy
kconway
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2008, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Grngoat @ May 19 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Andy, you also have the full JWest linkage, not just the Rennshifter, so that should be even more improvement.

yes, correct. but i drove my car with just the rennshift for years (i have the 1st generation version) before i added the linkage ...
shades.gif Andy

Andy,
I have the 1st gen shifter and have yet to put it in. Have you driven a car with the 2nd gen shifter, is there any difference between them or just cosmetic?
Kev
PeeGreen 914
1st and second generation? What the difference between the two?
HAM Inc
For my F-Prod car I installed a Rennshifter and linkage in a tranny built with new parts by Blake Meredith, and wow! It shifted damn near as good as my E30 BMW, which is the finest shifting streetcar I've ever driven.
3 days of testing, qualifiying and racing and I never misssed a shift. I love it. James makes a well engineered bunch of products. I will say this, though. I'm convinced that if you install just the shifter it probably won't make as much difference as just installing the linkage. Do the linkage first and then add the shifter. And one more thing. If the tranny internals are shot then I don't think anything will help much.
JWest
I just added some more options to the RennShift. You can now get the upper stick in polished, satin (brushed), or black finishes.

The knobs are available in polished or brushed and I have a new light weight plastic knob.

Linkage kits with new options should be available by the end of this week.
Chris Pincetich
+1 on the Rennshifter.
After headers, the best 914 bolt-on upgrade.
I may need to change that statement when I complete the needle bearing suspension bushings.
You won't like the feel of the Rennshift. It takes some getting used to. Before, I could wiggle that stick into it's shift zone. After, you need to push it there. It feels like you have to muscle the shift. After about 3 days, it is effortless again and you never want to go back. beerchug.gif
Ask yourself this question - Can I confidently downshift to 3rd?
With the Rennshift I can smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(James Adams @ May 19 2008, 08:30 PM) *

I just added some more options to the RennShift. You can now get the upper stick in polished, satin (brushed), or black finishes.

The knobs are available in polished or brushed and I have a new light weight plastic knob.

any chance you will be using metric sized nuts and bolts and such? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif
messix
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 20 2008, 01:01 AM) *

any chance you will be using metric sized nuts and bolts and such? confused24.gif

biggrin.gif

Jon, i'm gonna stop H/F and get you a stardard set of wrenchs to go in your snapon box full of metrix so you'll quit whinning about it! happy11.gif chair.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yeah... I had to put a couple of Craftsman tools in there and I had a little tear in my eye... biggrin.gif
914werke
QUOTE(messix @ May 20 2008, 01:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 20 2008, 01:01 AM) *

biggrin.gif

Jon, i'm gonna stop H/F and get you a stardard set of wrenchs to go in your snapon box full of metrix so you'll quit whinning about it! happy11.gif chair.gif

Tell you what, you can come over and take away every SAE tool I have flag.gif happy11.gif

I as well have a first gen. sitting in box ..since I updated from a stocker to an welt setup, and THAT made a big diff in shifting. I cant imagine what a RENNshifter and linkage would be like.
Jon next time tooling around stop by the house & let me try that puppy out. smile.gif
PeeGreen 914
Yeah. I will. I'll drop by sometime soon. Racing all weekend this weekend but if it is nice out on Thursday I just may take it out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.