Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: seafoam. need answer asap
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
i know seafoam has been mentioned before here, but my question wasn't really addressed.. sort of a noob question

i know i can add it to pretty much any orifice of the engine lol.. but i want to inject it directly into the gas/air line as suggested.

what hose do i disconnect to allow this.. im scared of starting a fire or somethin..

she's smokin pretty bad and i hope this helps a little...

is there any other "entry" point i can use that will yield "immediate" results?

oil filler seems the easiest but im not sure how fast it will work.. same with teh gas tank.

and as always, pics are welcomed wink.gif

1.7L btw
rhodyguy
does that mean you spray it directly into the throttle body or carbs? what is it supposed to accomplish?
stateofidleness
yea you can put it right into the TB, but i didnt want to remove the air cleaner and all that

i put half of it in the gas tank, and half in the oil.

i have another half can of it that i can put in the fuel system later on..

ima go test her out!! bb in a few!!!
scotty b
In order for it to have any effect on the injectors it needs to be sprayed through under pressure, thus cleaning and removing any deposit.
stepuptotheMike
On more modern vehicles, the typical method would be to disconnect the vaccuum line from the power brake booster.... which would suck the stuff into the rear of the throttle body. Kinda moot on a typeIV confused24.gif

Honestly, I tried it once on an old ford pickup that I had to get rid of spark rattle. Did absolutely nothing. Some people talk about it creating volumous clouds of smoke which is supposed to be all of the evil spirits leaving your engine... which.... um yeah....

You say your car is smoking? What color smoke?

No such thing as miracle in a can...... well... except for beerchug.gif

-Mike
scotty b
Dumping it in the TB is only gonna get it sucked straight to the combustion chamber. Are you trying to clean up injectors, remove carbon on the pistons, make your 1.7 faster with a bottle ??????
Hammy
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 18 2008, 03:14 PM) *

does that mean you spray it directly into the throttle body or carbs? what is it supposed to accomplish?

Yes. I think it's supposed to clean up the engine internals/cylinder walls of carbon build up. It's also used in the oil for sticky lifters and such.... not sure how effective it is. I did use it on a 914 once and did notice some added pep. Not sure if it was all in my head though.
r_towle
50% of the bottle goes in the vacuum input port on the throttle body...the little one for the distributor.

this takes patience...but you want to do it slowly...the stuff softens up the carbon on the pistons and the back of the valves.

As a result it will blow ALOT of smoke...mainly white smoke...but its quite a bit. Do it outside.

the rest should go in the tank, along with a bottle of Textron FI cleaner.

Rich
stateofidleness
actually i swear by this stuff
no its not a miracle in a can. it does do what it says though.

still need to figure out why i have little to no idle...

the smoke is whitish.. and i would presume oil as it does have minor leaks around the pushrods..

i know theres an idle adjustment screw somewhere, but i have no clue where its at on the 1.7. the tach basically reads 0 when its idling...

and when i drive it, it runs decent i presume but if i ever come to a complete stop (stop sign) or have to go all the way back down to first, it pretty much dies... i have to *ahem* coast through stop signs to avoid having to downshift all the way..

this one has AC so im not familiar with the layout too much, so i havent really tried to address possible hoses or lines.. whats my first step.
orange914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ May 18 2008, 03:22 PM) *

.5 +.5 +.5 = 1 bottle of foamy sea tooth.gif

sorry couldn't resist that

but seriously folks...

sea foam has worked good for me on a high mile nissan, smoked like crazy for awhile but seemed to clean up sticking rings
stateofidleness
if i take a pic of the engine compartment, could you identify which hose?

i did this on my 98 blazer direct into the TB and works wonders. i fogged the neighborhood wink.gif

so im wondering what it can do for greenie lol, just didnt know where to let it suck from .

ill go snap a pic
rhodyguy
so...you have a carbon seal at the head to cyl point and the product makes it go away? what do your plugs look like? your going to have to change the oil if it removes a loosens contaminents inside the case?

k
stateofidleness
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 18 2008, 05:55 PM) *

but seriously folks...

lmao... whoa whoa whoa.. my math aint that bad... clearly i have 2 cans of it laugh.gif
orange914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ May 18 2008, 03:57 PM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 18 2008, 05:55 PM) *

but seriously folks...

lmao... whoa whoa whoa.. my math aint that bad... clearly i have 2 cans of it laugh.gif

sorry my distorted sense of humor wouldn't let it go beerchug.gif

depending on how much carbon you probaly should change the oil and plugs like rhodyguy says.

i've acually used water down the throat of the carb (t.b. in your case). some may cring at that but cant be any harder than chemicals. do it on a fully warm engine, held at 2,000 rpm with a constant pour into the (hole). keep rpm's up to 2000 until stalling out (not hydrolocking) with the last gulp. let it sit for 15 minutes and repeat to flush (no stall).

mike
TravisNeff
Use the small vacuum line to your decel valve.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.