Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
F4i
Hi I want to install my front and rear windshield. What is the best way to do this? I am having a difficult
time finding butyl tape because it has been "outlawed" here. I am worried about using urethane because it
could allow stress on the glass.I am not sure why it is illegal to use here. I did everything but break the
sucker to get it out. I think I would prefer the tape if I could buy it from someone in the US. Is using the
tape going to cause the window to fly out? If someone has knowledge about this please speak up. Thanks confused24.gif
F4i
Bump
Thoughts? DIY eurathane a good idea? Suppliers?
Anybody care for a mint?
Malmz
I say get and use the butyl tape, that is what is was designed for.

I don't know if any of the regular P-car suppliers sell it or not. I know we have it here at the glass shops. I can't do it until next week, but if you can't find anybody before then I can buy some and ship it to you.

sm
F4i
Thanks you get a mint.
Slowpoke
Please explain "stress on glass". I think urethane is easier to work with and seals great. It allows you to get the window perfectly placed (depth wise) for a good molding fit. At least this has been my experience. The tape is only good if it is fresh, it's hard to find, since no one uses it much any more. Now, it does make the window harder to get out later.
F4i
"The rear window safety glass is bonded with its weather-strip to the frame. This method provides for
good sealing and eliminates any stress to the glass"
This is from the factory manual.
Dave D from the bird had mentioned something about urethane possibly creating too rigid a bond.
I am definitely looking for experiences and opinions here.
I think the tape would be easiest to work with however I am up for a DIY urethane. There seems to be a
few variables that effect the urethane, temp humid etc.
McMark
This is one of those situations where people have ideas, but nobody knows. Use either one. It will probably be fine. If it's not, let us know.
wavey.gif beerchug.gif
F4i
Hi I found 5/16" round butyl tape locally. I will give it a try. Thanks for the help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.