Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 12 MPG on Rebuilt Motor - Something's Wrong?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
I decided to rebuild my motor last fall and wanted to achieve 3 things; 1) Better Milage, 2) Eliminate major oil leaks and 3) More Power. The cas definitely has more power but it leaks oil as bad as it did before and I am only getting 12 MPG? I do not think they are related but what can I do to fix the milage? I tuned the Webers over the weekend (I at least tried) and still am betting 12 MPG. The motor is a 1911 with a new cam and rebuilt heads and webers (40 IDE). I am considering professional help - what can I do? I assume I should be getting at least 20 MPG?
elwood-914
You didn't mention how many miles on the rebuild. Rings not seated yet?
Krieger
What do the spark plugs look like? If its running very rich, fuel could be washing the oil down the cylinder walls and you may not be able to seat the rings.
Bleyseng
time to tune the carbs...using a LM1 helps alot
vesnyder
I pulled the plugs yesterday and inspected and they looked very black! I have about 600 miles on the rebuild! What does an LM1 do?
r_towle
Change your oil...NOW

Go out and push the motor hard and seat the rings.
You must seat the rings or all the gas goes into the oil...past the rings.
Change your oil NOW...smell it...if it smells like gas...your rings are not seated yet.

IDE carbs??? do you mean IDF???
What are your vents/jets that you have in the carbs?
for a 1911
28mm vents should be perfect.

Rich
Borderline
We need more info. What idle jets are you running? I've been running some .55's and just switched to some .60's and they are way too rich. The idle jets are very important. You should have something around .50 to start with. Also, check your float level in the carbs, make sure it's not too high.
r_towle
he told me he purchased the carbs from Jake 'all set up for a 1911" so lets assume those are correct and chase the real issue.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.