Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stock pressure plate with a hot six?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jaybird840
Hey Gang!,
The six conversion is coming along, and I'm about ready to start putting things back together.... So, will a stock /4 pressure plate hold a 200 ft/lb six, or do I need to go to the Kennedy stage 2? Seems like I remember reading somewhere that the 215mm six spring clutch disc would work fine in the application. I don't track or AX the car, but still want to make sure it will hold when I put the whip to the new 2.7RS. All input is warmly welcomed!

--jaybird
Cap'n Krusty
What I like about Kennedy "Stage 2" clutches is I get to repair the clutch cable tube through the body shortly after the installation. I make big bucks for that job, and, with that clutch still installed, I give NO warranty. The Cap'n
SLITS
Clamping force of stock clutchs (225 mm) is between 1044 lbs/sq in (2.4 engine) and 1131 lbs/sq in (2.7 engine) according to the tech specs.

Stock 2.0L 4 cylinder (215 mm clutch - 6 spring) is around 980 - 1100 lbs/sq in from what I remember.

Ok, Cap'n ... jump my shit for being wrong.
SirAndy
i ran the stock pressure plate on my /6 and it didn't last long ...

i went to the KEP Stage II and even that feels like it's still slipping when i hit the gaspedal hard ...

at 200 flbs, you're asking for trouble using the stock PP ...

and for the captn's comment, add a thick washer around the clutch tube where it goes through the firewall and weld it up. add a additional clamp to the front of the tube. that's what i did and so far it has worked just fine ...
driving.gif Andy
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *

i went to the KEP Stage II and even that feels like it's still slipping when i hit the gaspedal hard ...

and for the captn's comment, add a thick washer around the clutch tube where it goes through the firewall and weld it up. add a additional clamp to the front of the tube. that's what i did and so far it has worked just fine ...
driving.gif Andy

Winner agree.gif

I tryed a stock one on my 247 Hp 3.2 and it wont hold at high RPM, what a let down when your on it and the motors going but your not?
Joe Bob
Mod the clutch tube FIRST.....geez, gotta do all the thinking around here?

BTW...Raby has a 200HP/4 video on the board...ask him WHAT he uses....he might answer.
rfuerst911sc
By any chance does someone have a pic of this washer/weld mod to the clutch tube?
Sirandy what is the additional clamp you are suggesting? I am useing a stage II Kennedy pressure plate and would like to avoid any problems before I install my 3 litre. Thanks
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 19 2008, 12:25 PM) *

driving.gif Andy

And how many years/miles do you have on it? The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 21 2008, 04:16 PM) *

And how many years/miles do you have on it? The Cap'n

around two years, not sure about the miles, plus a few AX events ...

i'm also using the heavier /6 clutch cable ...
shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
Long enough to prove itself, I guess. I still won't ever use a Kennedy clutch again after the bad experience I had with them in dealing with a '66 bus. The Cap'n
degreeoff
Well I have the stage 2 and so far so good. I also had the pans out and did a fair amount of additional support in there.??
J P Stein
I have used the same Kennedy stage I since I installed the 2.7L back in 2000.
Looked things over during the motor rebuild last winter & slapped it back in.
The clutch tube remains untouched & unbroken. confused24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.