Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 200HP RAT powered 914 in AX action!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Jake Raby
This is a RAT 200HP turn key in action in a 914. The engine was our 2.4L AX special, making all it's power by 6,500 RPM.. It runs stock cooling too!

Listen to that beast!! He ended up taking top time of the day!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y13C3v2L788&feature=user

And this is the same car on the track at a DE.. Watch all those water pumpers get their doors blasted!!! (this video was posted a couple weeks ago here, just a comparison to how an engine can be "Dual purpose")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uFRrbjy_pM&feature=user

Posting anything on forums other than my own opens up doors for people to deem something "advertisement".. Well this video is worth the blame and any flames that may arise from them.. I stand ready. Safety off. :-)
Jake Raby
BTW-
Here is a video from the same car prior to the engine being "rabyized"...
Pretty dramatic difference!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx0O27omHMw...feature=related
ConeDodger
Nice... I love how quickly those other cars get reeled in. The last one though was just annoying. They must have had some rule about passing sections.

This is a 2.4? Is it an exotic motor? Roller cam?
Jake Raby
Not exotic, but it does use 98mm Nickies. Its a similar combo to Randal barricks and puts out roughly the same power at 80X98mm

It does NOT use a roller camshaft...

It uses LE 200 heads, 44mm Weber carbs, Mallory, etc... RAT/LN Billet rods and JE Pistons...
SGB
Thats fun to watch. The sound is totally different, and you can tell he has a LOT more torque to work with.

So what is new on the rollers? That is my dream upgrade...
Jake Raby
of course..
That sound, never ceases to amaze me how sound impresses people, even more than the incredible throttle response that the sound is a byproduct of!
Here is the dyno graph from the engine.
Click to view attachment

The roller design has been changed (for the 4th time) and is now working very well in a dedicated test engine we are using for Land Speed racing. I want the technology to break a Land Speed Record before I outfit any turn keys with it.
jimkelly
2,000 HP - I do not think this is possible : )

with all those rpms - might need a water cooled tach : )
Jake Raby
2,000 HP= Just add Boost -) (lots of it!)
Rleog
Gotta love that little wave once by the cabriolet.
DanT
remember folks, this was a DE/lapping day....
you have no idea what the skill level was of any of these drivers. It is obvious from the video these were not seasoned track drivers....look at some of the lines.
speeds were generally very low...not a race. Passing cars does not indicate anything other than they were slower for what ever reason.
Now with that said, the motor sounds very nice and obviously has tons of power.
After building my own 2056 with some of Jakes parts, I can say that this motor/car combination has some great potential.
biggrin.gif

Jake Raby
True, I think he was running with the "Blue" group in the video.. Even the driver of the car rarely does anything except AX, and this was the first time he'd ever had the car on the track with more than stock HP. he is still trying to get accustomed to double the stock power within the same operating range as stock!

BUT there is no excuse why those pansy asses got passed by a VW engine that some redneck built in his backyard... :-)

DanT
definitely not knocking your product Jake...just putting a little information about the track episode.

had a lot less to do about the motor/hp and an lot more to do with the driver's skill levels...
If I build another 914, it will have Raby motor parts in it... biggrin.gif

by the way Jake, my orange 2056 now lives in San Diego with a new owner....he is loving the car and the motor.
Jake Raby
Dan,
I never suspected that you were doing anything less than just making a clarification statement.. You are a believer- you have experienvced the differences first hand :-)

Glad the new owner is having fun with your old car!
grantsfo
Dan, ....Should I break the news to Jake about this past weekend? happy11.gif
Jake Raby
Damn, Grant, I expected much more from you than that in the way of a smart assed remark... You must not be feeling well today.
ConeDodger
I suppose Grant means that Dan drove his 6 at the GGR autocross in Alameda this last weekend. Not really a slam on what you do... Dan has owned a variety of 6's and 4's... Like me he can see the value in both.

Joe Ricard
Well I finally got spanked by a Raby Kit 2270 this weekend. But only in the straights.
Fred Hurst brought is white down and we jetted around town. took him down my favorite back road. and then up on the highway to allow him to sprint by me. Had a hell of a time.

We will be facing off at the next autocross, if he is lucky I will keep my street tires on.

By the way I thought the guy driving the AX course could do well by attending a school.

Fred got me thinking about more power again. Jake what's the schedule look like these days for the rest of the 2316-210 kit.

DanT
I have no problem with 6s or 4s. As long as it is a Porsche appropriate motor for a 914, then that is great.
As for the V8 conversions....well......that is another matter.
We had three at our last AX. One broke.......... confused24.gif , one was being driven very slowly and one is just being figured out, and does not have near enough tire under it for the motor in the engine bay.
I have yet to see a v8 conversion do well at an AX...maybe some day.
just too much for the chassis in stock form...

grantsfo
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 19 2008, 07:51 PM) *

I suppose Grant means that Dan drove his 6 at the GGR autocross in Alameda this last weekend. Not really a slam on what you do... Dan has owned a variety of 6's and 4's... Like me he can see the value in both.

Oh come on! I'm not that nice or that politcally correct! LOL! I actually was refering to a less well known T4 builder whose car bested the times of the Raby "Rocket" powered car. Hamilton Engineering has been building lighting fast Rabbit Rod T4's for years and actually has a long standing reputation of winning the most heavily attended AX's in the region. He stands undefeated this season. I appreciate his quiet competence in building the fastest T4 motors around.

If I was inclined to put a fast T4 in my car I'd be lining up to get a Hamilton Engineering T4 motor. I think Lee Hamilton is an underappreciated T4 motor builder we have in the 914 world. We all know about his motors here on the West Coast as we are always chasing his almost undefeated 914 AX car.

Oh! ....and perhaps not only did Dan drive a six, but he put a certain Raby powered car behind his times in an itsy bitsy 2480cc small bore six as well. poke.gif

Ok now I'll behave myself. chair.gif

Jake Raby
How about a Boxster engine/ tranny in a 550 Spyder??? Doing that one now!
DanT
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ May 19 2008, 08:01 PM) *

By the way I thought the guy driving the AX course could do well by attending a school.

You may be right, but the guy also took TTD with a 2.0L and has several top 5 finishes in the car and has only owned it a year or so. So he can drive. Also keep in mind it is a squirly track with a pretty sandy surface and easy to lock up the tires under hard braking.

Awsome motor Jake!
DanT
QUOTE(gregrobbins @ May 19 2008, 09:56 PM) *

You may be right, but the guy also took TTD with a 2.0L and has several top 5 finishes in the car and has only owned it a year or so. So he can drive. Also keep in mind it is a squirly track with a pretty sandy surface and easy to lock up the tires under hard braking.

Awsome motor Jake!

makes you wonder about the level of competition confused24.gif ....Not hating just commenting.

bryanc
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 19 2008, 11:06 PM) *

QUOTE(gregrobbins @ May 19 2008, 09:56 PM) *

Awsome motor Jake!

makes you wonder about the level of competition confused24.gif ....Not hating just commenting.

He is a good driver, but all drivers can improve. It looks like he's still getting used to that torque smile.gif
DanT
Exactly biggrin.gif
ratbite123
Hi Guys. I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself. This is my first post (anywhere), so forgive me if I violate some etiquette bootyshake.gif or something.

This is my 914 with a motor I bought from Jake. I'm not a highly experienced driver, but I'm learning. I've had the car almost 1 1/2 years. It's taken a while to get used to the 914, but I love how it handles now that I used to it.

The car was pretty well set up when I bought it. The front suspension is from a 911SC, and the rear is lowered with stiffer springs. I haven't messed with the setup since buying the car. But I installed Jakes motor around Christmas. It's awesome.

The track video was the first track day I drove the car with the new motor. I was freaked out a bit since with the old motor I was just topping 4th gear at the end of the strait, and now hitting 5th. I was a bit worried about loosing the breaks, so I was letting off and turning in early. I'm sure as I get used to it and gain confidence in the car that I will drive better. Our club has 4 run groups, and if 1 was the slowest and 4 the fastest, I am in 3 (intermediate).

I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to talking to you all smile.gif .

Later...
DanT
glad you are here, now post some pics of your hotrod, including that RAT welcome.png
KELTY360
QUOTE(ratbite123 @ May 19 2008, 11:37 PM) *

Hi Guys. I thought I'd take this opportunity to introduce myself. This is my first post (anywhere), so forgive me if I violate some etiquette bootyshake.gif or something.

welcome.png

Gotta hand it to someone who drops his drawers bootyshake.gif in the first sentence around here. You'll fit in just fine.

shades.gif
bryanc
QUOTE(ratbite123 @ May 19 2008, 11:37 PM) *

This is my 914 with a motor I bought from Jake. I'm not a highly experienced driver, but I'm learning. I've had the car almost 1 1/2 years. It's taken a while to get used to the 914, but I love how it handles now that I used to it.

The car was pretty well set up when I bought it. The front suspension is from a 911SC, and the rear is lowered with stiffer springs. I haven't messed with the setup since buying the car. But I installed Jakes motor around Christmas. It's awesome.

The track video was the first track day I drove the car with the new motor. I was freaked out a bit since with the old motor I was just topping 4th gear at the end of the strait, and now hitting 5th. I was a bit worried about loosing the breaks, so I was letting off and turning in early. I'm sure as I get used to it and gain confidence in the car that I will drive better. Our club has 4 run groups, and if 1 was the slowest and 4 the fastest, I am in 3 (intermediate).

I've enjoyed reading your posts and look forward to talking to you all smile.gif .

Later...

Hi Jerry, Welcome.

Greg Robbins and I were debating if you were using 5th at all. Is your gearbox short? I don't hit 5th in by 914-4 at PIR....

BTW, Greg, you were right, it's 5th. chair.gif
Jake Raby
Welcome Jerry!!!

Jerry is one of those guys that went slower with 200HP than he did with 100HP previously- until he got used to the power :-)

Throottle modulation with that much torque takes some getting used to, especially on the street with street tires.. The throttle response that Jerry's combo has is unreal...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 19 2008, 08:58 PM) *

Oh come on! I'm not that nice or that politcally correct! LOL! I actually was refering to a less well known T4 builder whose car bested the times of the Raby "Rocket" powered car. Hamilton Engineering has been building lighting fast Rabbit Rod T4's for years and actually has a long standing reputation of winning the most heavily attended AX's in the region. He stands undefeated this season. I appreciate his quiet competence in building the fastest T4 motors around.

If I was inclined to put a fast T4 in my car I'd be lining up to get a Hamilton Engineering T4 motor. I think Lee Hamilton is an underappreciated T4 motor builder we have in the 914 world. We all know about his motors here on the West Coast as we are always chasing his almost undefeated 914 AX car.

Oh! ....and perhaps not only did Dan drive a six, but he put a certain Raby powered car behind his times in an itsy bitsy 2480cc small bore six as well. poke.gif

Oh... Is he doing kits now?
URY914
Last fall when I let TC Davis drive my car (and beat me), the first thing he said after taking his helmet off was "That boy Jake can build a hell of an engine".

DNHunt
We are planning to get out this Saturday for our first AX with my new motor and I hope to shot some video from the sidelines. First off we are loosy drivers on 2 year old Avon DOTR 205's so I expect it will be entertaining. From driving it on the street, car control is way more difficult than with the old stock engine. My goal is just get experience and have fun.

This is my opinion from my experience up here. Driver and setup are 90% of sucess. I don't know whether driver or setup is more important cause I'm not a good enough driver to know and my setup is a guess. Until these items get better I don't think the engine matters a lot

10% of the drivers at our AX are good and if you give them a car with more power they will go faster. 50% or more are poor drivers, myself included, and they will go slower with more power as I expect to. The rest will struggle and get better slowly. Practice helps, instruction helps but, I'm not sure I can ever get in that 10% and for now I just want to get better but I expect to take a step backwards.

Setup is still eluding me. I originally had the car slammed to the ground. This spring I raised it 3/8" all around and it drives much better on the road. Since Bremerton is old cracked concrete I think this change will help. Tire pressure is a guess cause no one else runs these tires. Dampering is a guess, bar is a guess. Alignment is a guess cause I stiffened the car this winter and then raised it this spring. So we"ll have fun, try not to embarrass ourselves, try to get Greg Fordahl in the car for a ride and ask lots of questions. Eventually I'll drive to Portland and seek JP's help.

Dave
ratbite123
QUOTE(bryanc @ May 20 2008, 12:40 AM) *

Hi Jerry, Welcome.

Greg Robbins and I were debating if you were using 5th at all. Is your gearbox short? I don't hit 5th in by 914-4 at PIR....

BTW, Greg, you were right, it's 5th. chair.gif

Hi Bryan,

I have never been inside the transmission, but I wasn't told anything about the gears being changed. In the original video I shot (not youtube), it pretty easy to see that at 110MPH, the RPM is at ~5050-5100. I guess if I was good in math, I could calculate the ratio exactly. My guess is that's the original gears.

Going from 5th to 3rd is also a new experience, as attested to by the little grind in the first turn.

I know that if I brake as late as I could, and got a good entry, I could hit 120 on that strait, but also the brake loading would be much greater. The fence in the runnoff area looks really close, and I don't think I'd like to examine it any closer. yikes.gif blowup.gif

Jake Raby
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 20 2008, 07:27 AM) *

Last fall when I let TC Davis drive my car (and beat me), the first thing he said after taking his helmet off was "That boy Jake can build a hell of an engine".

And that engine was built from all used parts and is 6 years old :-)

The driver is a huge variable in the performance of any car. The Hamiltons have a huge advantage because they build the car, build the engine and DRIVE THE CAR, so finite adjustments can be noted and applied by them where no one else has that advantage.

This is known as the "Unfair advantage", but its fair as hell!!
J P Stein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 20 2008, 10:00 AM) *

The driver is a huge variable in the performance of any car. The Hamiltons have a huge advantage because they build the car, build the engine and DRIVE THE CAR, so finite adjustments can be noted and applied by them where no one else has that advantage.

This is spot on....tho I hate to agree with Jake. biggrin.gif
Car development is more complicated that "just" doing some kind of monster motor, tho that is definitely part of the package. It is time (and money) consuming even when no wrong turns are taken. All this can be farmed out IF you pick the right vendor ...a large wallet is a necessity here and, as near as I can tell, the number of
top notch "whole package" vendors for an autocross car are few & far between.

So, many take on bits & pieces of the job and that is where folks like Jake come into play. Now you have a motor built to you specs that you supply (caution....RTFRB).
Then there is the transmission, tires & suspension (the really hard part), engine cooling, car weight, aero if any...RTFRB.....all to complement that high dollar lump.
Leave anything out and you'll get your ass kicked....unless you stick to a "small pond".

BTW, I'd be glad to help, Dave, but I can tell ya right now....You need more tiar. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 20 2008, 10:00 AM) *

This is spot on....tho I hate to agree with Jake. biggrin.gif
Car development is more complicated that "just" doing some kind of monster motor, tho that is definitely part of the package. It is time (and money) consuming even when no wrong turns are taken. All this can be farmed out IF you pick the right vendor ...a large wallet is a necessity here and, as near as I can tell, the number of
top notch "whole package" vendors for an autocross car are few & far between.

So, many take on bits & pieces of the job and that is where folks like Jake come into play. Now you have a motor built to you specs that you supply (caution....RTFRB).
Then there is the transmission, tires & suspension (the really hard part), engine cooling, car weight, aero if any...RTFRB.....all to complement that high dollar lump.
Leave anything out and you'll get your ass kicked....unless you stick to a "small pond".

BTW, I'd be glad to help, Dave, but I can tell ya right now....You need more tiar. biggrin.gif
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 20 2008, 02:10 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ May 19 2008, 08:58 PM) *

Oh... Is he doing kits now?

Grant, I didn't even see this post before it got quoted. Thanks for the kind words.

Rob, no, he doesn't do kits, he just does cylinder head work and complete engines.
Andyrew
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 19 2008, 08:07 PM) *

I have no problem with 6s or 4s. As long as it is a Porsche appropriate motor for a 914, then that is great.
We had three at our last AX. One broke.......... confused24.gif , one was being driven very slowly and one is just being figured out, and does not have near enough tire under it for the motor in the engine bay.

I havent brought my v8 out yet biggrin.gif

Then again, I havent really cared... sad.gif (my Audi is now taking my time up... Gotta beat those GT3's...)
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ May 19 2008, 08:07 PM) *

You just can't argue with the sound of the v8 though, gets them panties right off.
DanT
can't disagree with that Chris biggrin.gif
Rand
You just can't argue with the sound of the v8 though, gets them panties right off.

I'd rather see panties off, than panties in a bunch! w00t2.gif

But then again, I'm way off topic. Sort of. Hey, this is a fun thread....

I admire the Hamiltons.

I love Dave's car and engine (and besides, he's a good guy).

I know Rob's motor rocks.

I have huge respect for Dan and his racing experience / expertise. (Dude, you must be having sellers remorse already, no?)

JP... Well... Oy... So many smart ass comments I could offer, but never mind that. You rock. Thanks for the ride at WCC Portland. And I'll forgive your co-driver for being paranoid about anyone else wearing his helmet without the special cleansing rag. tongue.gif Hi Brit.

Andyrew.... What gives? No news on the V8 for a while? What, and now you wish you would have went Subie? Sigh.

Ok, ok, enough sentimental stuff. This was fun. laugh.gif
DanT
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 10:24 PM) *

I have huge respect for Dan and his racing experience / expertise. (Dude, you must be having sellers remorse already, no?)

Thank you, and no, not really. I enjoy the build process and driving them for awhile. Once I get them to where I want them to be, then it is time for me to move on to the next one.
there is always another one waiting around the corner biggrin.gif
currently in the process of the hunt.... happy11.gif
Rand
Well kudos bro. Your 914's new owner must be ecstatic. He got a sweet well-sorted car. I look forward to seeing your next build. beerchug.gif
sean_v8_914
Dan; tell that guy that bought the putt putt to come by the Q AX. we have a strong 914 section and CS class needs some fresh meat. we will be gentle
Jake Raby
Less than 25% of my engines are set up the way I recommend them to be and to my standards.. Thats why at times I have considered only selling engines to those that would ship their car to me for a complete outfit of all the systems and sub-systems that would optimize the engine. Today with most all my customers over 2,000 miles away and 1/2 of them in other countries thats not a possibility.

I can build a million dollar engine that can be compromised by a 12 dollar part.. It can also make 300HP, but be slower than a stock car due to improper set up.

When the engine is modified everything associated with it must be altered equally. Thats why the -4 had a bad rep for so long, cheap bastards would soup the engine up and either not have the sense to outfit or tune iit correctly, or they'd be too cheap to buy the necessary components.

Still today I have people spend 20K on an engine, but they absolutely do everything possible to keep from spending the 2500 bucks for an optimum exhaust system...

HP alone doesn't make a fast car or win races.. Displacement alone does not make HP.

I'll leave you with the quote that I first made a decade ago...
"Its all in the combo".
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 21 2008, 03:28 AM) *

Dan; tell that guy that bought the putt putt to come by the Q AX. we have a strong 914 section and CS class needs some fresh meat. we will be gentle

How is the Putt Putt motor legal for C stock? Damn I wanna run with you guys. Can I just run DSP? blink.gif
sean_v8_914
its not but I'll pretend I don't know for a while. we only have 2 C Stock cars, 4 in A Improved and 1 or 2 in A Mod. El Toro, just south of Irvine gets alot of 914s too
...is the new putt putt owner fast? I want to see Dans masterpiece in action
DanT
he is a total noob Sean....
he is going to need lots of instruction and seat time...no one will know what size the motor is by looking at it, and until he gets some seat time it won't matter anyway biggrin.gif

I have told him to check out world and club, for dates and folks in the San Diego area.
he says he will, wants to drive the car on the street for awhile to get used to it. His only other sports car has been a Miata...so he needs to get a little seat time to learn some of the 914 quirks.

hopefully he will be on here soon and start asking questions about events in the SD area. smile.gif
TravisNeff
I just watched those videos over the weekend. That is very impressive.

Jerry, is that Tim Hannum's old car? If I remember right he got that thing somewhere down to 1850lbs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.