Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankcase Breather Cans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
ChrisFoley
IPB Image
These aluminum breather cans have three 1/2" inlet fittings featuring swirl oil/air separation, bottom drain fitting, and K&N vent filter.

IPB Image
Mounts on the rear engine compartment bulkhead.

IPB Image
Bottom fitting for auto drain of oil back into the crankcase.

Price: $180 complete - includes everything needed for installation as shown. Includes US shipping and handling.

(Installation requires drilling a hole in the factory breather tower for drainback fitting.)
spunone
Very cool and compact fits back area nice and out of the way
rfuerst911sc
Do you have one for a six?
scottb
woah!

well thought out.... nice execution..... shiny... nice.... MINE!!!!

very cool chris.

scottb
vesnyder
Can you provide the complete hose connections and let me know what the function of this breather can is? I just sealed mine off - probably not a good idea.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(vesnyder @ May 25 2008, 10:50 AM) *

Can you provide the complete hose connections and let me know what the function of this breather can is? I just sealed mine off - probably not a good idea.

The breather can allows blow-by gasses to escape without pressurizing the crankcase and causing seal leaks. The factory sucked these gasses through the intake to get rid of them. Most guys who run carbs prefer to vent them to atmosphere instead of plumbing them into the air cleaners. My cannister design helps to separate the oil mist from the fumes so the vented gasses don't coat the engine bay with oil film.
The three tangential inlets on the can take hoses from the two ports on the cylinder heads and from the pcv valve. (The pcv should be gutted for this application.) The fitting on the bottom of the can gets a short hose to the side of the breather tower where a fitting gets added. This hose drains back any oil accumulation so the breather can never needs to be drained manually.
My complete kit includes the cannister, mounting bolts, a K&N vent filter, 6ft of 1/2" hose, 6 hose clamps, flare fitting (with jam nut) for the breather tower, 90 degree flare fitting for the can bottom, 1ft of 1/4" hose, two push-on hose to flare adapter fittings.
Link to my What's New Webpage with Paypal Buy Now button.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 19 2008, 03:48 PM) *

Do you have one for a six?

confused24.gif Or maybe a cool oil catch biggrin.gif
ChrisFoley
I never thought about one for a six before.
I guess it would have a big fitting for the crankcase and a smaller one for the tank. Would you want it to self-drain back into the tank?
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 29 2008, 11:17 AM) *

I guess it would have a big fitting for the crankcase and a smaller one for the tank. Would you want it to self-drain back into the tank?

I don't believe a self draining feature back into the tank is needed. I'm mulling over making my own but my welds will never look like yours.
PeeGreen 914
I would think you would want it to drain to a catch tank. Now there is something I could use biggrin.gif An easily removable catch tank.
auerbach
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 29 2008, 03:17 PM) *

Chris-- sorry for not being in touch recently. We just finished the three college graduations and two of the kids are home. Oh rapture oh joy sad.gif

The Fuchs from dcauto should be in next week and the car finished a week later. I did white powder coating on the wheels with chrome studs and chrome center crests hand painted. It should look super. I got the brake warning light fixed, it was the hand brake connection. I'll work on the front trunk release once it is back on the road.

What is the story on the breather for my car? Yes, no? Or do I just wait for you to add it to the list for the next visit? Anything else up your sleves that I can be tempted with?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(auerbach @ May 30 2008, 01:54 AM) *

Chris-- sorry for not being in touch recently. We just finished the three college graduations and two of the kids are home. Oh rapture oh joy sad.gif

Three in one year seems like a lot to me but at least you won't have to do that again.

The Fuchs from dcauto should be in next week and the car finished a week later. I did white powder coating on the wheels with chrome studs and chrome center crests hand painted. It should look super. I got the brake warning light fixed, it was the hand brake connection. I'll work on the front trunk release once it is back on the road.
So Ed's relay repair held up after all?
I'm still having trouble imagining how the trunk can pop loose when the headlights are activated.

What is the story on the breather for my car? Yes, no? Or do I just wait for you to add it to the list for the next visit? Anything else up your sleves that I can be tempted with?

You have a Claude's Buggies breather box. It isn't the best design but I think lots of 914 owners have the same thing installed already. We can upgrade when the list is long enough to justify bringing the car back here. Another item I would love to sell you is a big ticket item - a Tangerine Header, but I won't hold my breath. smile.gif
What I'm really looking forward to is reading that you have put some miles on the car and Linda is getting used to the primitive braking system, lol.
Spoke
Question about breathers: I'm putting original FI on a 1.8L engine which doesn't have the breather vents on the heads or valve covers. The only vent is on the oil filler. Why do I need the vents on the heads? I'm not trying to redesign the system; I guess I just don't fully understand the function of the 3 vents.

I was thinking of using just the oil filler vent and connecting this to the air cleaner. Can I do this or will there be problems? The air cleaner is the oil filled type.

If I do use head vents, is there a PVC valve and where does it go?
Todd Enlund
Chris donated two of these to the silent auction at the WCR. They looked GREAT, and I'd bet that they attracted more bidding than everything else that was there combined. I was bidding frantically, but unfortunately, Rhodyguy got a bid in only seconds after the bidding had closed... biggrin.gif

At least I made him pay for it... and the proceeds went to a good charity. Thanks Chris!
shoguneagle
When you are ready for the 3.2-6 engine, I will buy one immediately. Looks great like the rest of your products. Let me know when available.

Steve Hurt
jsayre914
hide.gif So you cant have one of these on a FI car?? or can you? Please explain
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jul 13 2008, 07:18 PM) *

hide.gif So you cant have one of these on a FI car?? or can you? Please explain

You could use one with D-Jet but the stock setup works fine for most.
L-Jet requires a sealed crankcase so it would not be suitable.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Jul 13 2008, 07:09 PM) *

When you are ready for the 3.2-6 engine, I will buy one immediately. Looks great like the rest of your products. Let me know when available.

Steve Hurt

We have a -6 install to do later this year, so the details will be worked out at that time. Will keep you posted.
PeeGreen 914
Got to see these at the WCR and they look great. I can't wait for you to get some done for the 6s.
ChrisFoley
I have created an option to hook up the breather can to the carb air cleaners instead of using the vent filter. The rubber grommet and anodized (3/8" npt) tee replaces the K&N unit.
Also shown is a piece of fuel cell foam that is now included with all units. This can be inserted into the top of the can to further enhance oil separation, especially for cars driven on track at sustained high rpm.
IPB Image
JazonJJordan
What an awesome product/looks well produced!

Added to the Christmas want list...

We'll be in touch~
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.