Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: question on Oil tank location on 914/6 racecar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
GaroldShaffer
So the /6 is in the race car. I had to order a bigger oil tank since the old one for the /4 was to small.

The old one was installed in the engine bay (see picture below)

Click to view attachment

I would like to mount the new one in same area. Problem is, well duh, its bigger. so it extends lower than the old tank and hits a chassis reenforcement bar that was installed by the PO. I can't mount it in the front trunk because of the fuel cell or in the old gas tank location because of all the ducting in there.

So I have two questions:

1) If mounted in the old oil tank location it will stick out above the engine lid. Would that be a problem with SCCA, PCA, vintage......????

2) There is room to mount it inside cock pit on the passenger side firewall. Again would that be a issue with SCCA, PCA, vintage....????

I don't have a copy of the SCCA GCR hear with me. The plan all along for me with this car is for it to be a track day / AX car. I may get my SCCA racing license, more on that subject HERE

So what do you think? The car is currently down at Brad Mayeur's place so I can't get any really good pictures of the "brace" issue that the tank hits if mounted in the /4 oil tank location.
6freak
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 19 2008, 02:28 PM) *

So the /6 is in the race car. I had to order a bigger oil tank since the old one for the /4 was to small.

The old one was installed in the engine bay (see picture below)

Click to view attachment

I would like to mount the new one in same area. Problem is, well duh, its bigger. so it extends lower than the old tank and hits a chassis reenforcement bar that was installed by the PO. I can't mount it in the front trunk because of the fuel cell or in the old gas tank location because of all the ducting in there.

So I have two questions:

1) If mounted in the old oil tank location it will stick out above the engine lid. Would that be a problem with SCCA, PCA, vintage......????

2) There is room to mount it inside cock pit on the passenger side firewall. Again would that be a issue with SCCA, PCA, vintage....????

I don't have a copy of the SCCA GCR hear with me. The plan all along for me with this car is for it to be a track day / AX car. I may get my SCCA racing license, more on that subject HERE

So what do you think? The car is currently down at Brad Mayeur's place so I can't get any really good pictures of the "brace" issue that the tank hits if mounted in the /4 oil tank location.

Just an idea!maybe two that size (in the pic) one on either side.maybe a flat costum made one in the trunk ????not in the cockpit too hot in there already and i think scca would frown on that .Blow a line and spray your self down with 200+degree oil no thanks BAD IDEA
Thorshammer

The issues are a couple.

1. Are you going to have passengers, or is this a racecar?
2. Is this a serious effort, or would you like this to be a nice and tidy instal, bolt in.

1. Don't mount it in the trunk, you will never build one tall enough to keep the oil at the pick up under high g load conditions, even though it may seem like an ideal spot.
2. If you are building a serious car, don't use the factory tank, its hard to clean, and weighs alot. plus it is installed on the wrong side of the car
3. Don't use anything but a -16 hose as an suction line
4. Do NOT mount it in the front trunk, on the brakes, the oil will back up and you WILL starve the engine, yes I know people have them mounted in that location, and claim to have no issues, I guess it depends on how you drive.
5. Suggest buying a Peterson Oil tank 12 or 16 quart capacity and mounting it near the firewall on the passenger side of the car IN the passenger compartment. Yes you must build A CONTAINER around the oil tank. If you do it right, you can guide the air over the passenger compartment nicely.

6. Do not run the feed line into the engine compartment straight from the oil tank. make it run along the lower edge of the firewall near the floor behind your seat, to a bulhead fitting, and then to the engine. The install is very clean, and if you use good braided line, there is no hazard, remember, it is in suction, not pressure.

Lastly, Do not mount the tank too low in the chassis, the oil must have a head on it and it is possible to mount it at the level of the oil inlet line, and WILL cause oil starvation. I have worked with this alot, and found out the hard way what works and what does not work. Don't forget good filtration like an Oberg, or another membrane style filter.

Erik
jeff
I'm currently collecting parts for a 3.2- 6 conversion that will be a street/track day car .The oil/cooling parts that i have collected are a peterson 16qt tank,overflow filter,fluidyne cooler, fiberglass engine tin, I have made the mount to install the tank in the front trunk basically copying the patrickmotorsports cars but I have thought that is a long way for the oil to travel??Any suggestions?Could I use -20 or make the majority hardline and be safe from starvation during braking?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.