Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: losing oil pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
At first startup, I wil have 65psi. if i just tool around town, the pressure will stay in the 10 to 15psi range at idle. Normal pressure when warm and at ~1500-2500rpm is 45-48.

after a freeway drive, and the car comes back to idle, the pressure drops to 0.

I've installed a NEW RAT 30mm NON full flow oil pump with .005 clearance on the front cover.

Oil is BP 20/50w

CHT are in the 350-360 range

oil pressure gauge is a dakota digital.

I have a stock oil temp gauge and I have never seen it go much past the middle towards the hot side.

All the clearances on the rebuild where at STD.

Oil bypass springs where installed the right way.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank's,Keith
TravisNeff
does the green idiot light come on as well?
r_towle
why are you running 20W/50?

Rich
Rand
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 19 2008, 05:22 PM) *

Why not? That's pretty common in TIVs, right? I know a lot of people run it, myself included.

Not being argumentative, just curious. beer.gif
r_towle
its a bit thick...my car would never start in the winter...lol

Rich
Rand
I thought multi-viscosity oil was supposed to lean toward the thinner number when cold?
Jake Raby
You really need to verify the oil pressure readings with a mechanical gauge. The DD gauges use VDO senders and they have been giving mis-readings as of lately.
If you do indeed have low oil pressure with the mechanical gauge the issue must be internal clearance related.

toon1
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 19 2008, 05:22 PM) *

Rich

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 19 2008, 05:34 PM) *

You really need to verify the oil pressure readings with a mechanical gauge. The DD gauges use VDO senders and they have been giving mis-readings as of lately.
If you do indeed have low oil pressure with the mechanical gauge the issue must be internal clearance related.

I'm in Cali, Also, 20/50 is what Jake recomends.

Jake, how are the DD gauges giving a false readings?

I will give a mech. gauge a try.It will be tough to install but if it's going to verify weather another tear down is needed it's worth a shot.

Crazyhippy
Overfilled and aeration?

agreed check w/ another guage... 0PSI makes nice motors into expensive paperweights.
Jake Raby
Its not the gauges, its the VDO senders they use that are BS made in China crap!
toon1
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 19 2008, 07:22 PM) *

Its not the gauges, its the VDO senders they use that are BS made in China crap!

Is there a better sender or gauge to use?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.