Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New cutie at werk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
smile.gif
Camera was alomost full. More pics later
smontanaro
Holy smoke Scotty! You get all the fun cars!

Skip
So.Cal.914
Looks like fun, reminds me of the car in FB's day off.
Katmanken
Must be a re-bodied teener....

It's on jackstands.....

Ken
championgt1
PLEASE don't tell me that has a Chevy 350 in it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(smontanaro @ May 19 2008, 05:02 PM) *

Holy smoke Scotty! You get all the fun cars!

Skip

agree.gif
ericread
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

You can sooooo tell that's a kit car!!! The steering wheel is even on the wrong side!

av-943.gif av-943.gif
messix
SHHHHHHWWWWWWWING!!!!!!!!

wow that is so ...... i'll be back... i gotta go take care of something! drooley.gif
jimtab
If that's a kit, and I don't think it is, it's still a beautiful body...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ericread @ May 19 2008, 08:27 PM) *

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

You can sooooo tell that's a kit car!!! The steering wheel is even on the wrong side!

av-943.gif av-943.gif

blink.gif Maybe you have not seen very many old race movies.
ericread
The problem is that Ferrari's just don't hold value.

Like this one:

Click to view attachment

This 1961 250GT was sold at auction for $10.9 Million on May 18!!! (Probably because the steering wheel is on the correct side)

biggrin.gif
Cevan
Haven't seen a kit car with knock-offs before. 750 Monza or 500 Mondial? idea.gif
ericread
Seriously, it's a kit car. The frame is from a 1979 VW bug. Take a close look and you'll see.

As Dr. Z said in his (in)famous Chrysley/Daimler commercials, "It's a joke!" biggrin.gif

scotty b
O.K. so I've had my fun. Here is the scoop.

Yes it is a " kit " car but it is also a VERY special " kit " car. In the early eightyies there was a company called " TRANSFORMERS " they took a mold off of a REAL 500 Mondial. This car is number one of 12 they managed to build while Ferrari took them to court. Our info is a bit vague but they pre-sold 12 and built either 8 or all 12 of them. Ferrari won the court case, and no more were made. According to the P.O. the original selling price was 337,000.00 Yes you read that right. Ferraris issue was that this car is EXACTLY identical body wise to the 500. The mold even has the original 500 rivet heads in it. Our customer just bought this 3 weeks ago on E-bay for a bit over 46,000.00. A bit much in our opinions but not in 20+ other peoples. It runs a complete Alfa Romeo Alfetta drivetrain, Webers, cams est 140 h.p. and it is a f*ckin blast aktion035.gif Upon arrival it neede a bit of mechanical and wiring werk to get it going, and I drove it for the first time lkast fir. VERY addictive, this is the first car to put a smile on my face in a LONG time. This is without a doubt the second best kit car I have ever seen. Extremely well done. very strong body. I would actually bet this glass body would be much better off in a hit then the real aluminum bodies. I will be starting on the body this week. R. rear needs some werk as the p.o. tried to repair it himself after a track accident. Steering wheel, is REAL, wheels are REAL, badges are REAL, car is REAL fun smile.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SD-500-Mond...tem290218937664

ericread
Awesome looking car, and an equally aweome story!!! Thanks for posting this biggrin.gif
plymouth37
I have worked on the real deal and believe me it sucks having to tip-toe around a car.
I am not a fan of replicas but I think you could have a lot more fun with this one than a real one.
Thanks for the pics!
SGB
Whoooo- weee-eee! Be carefull with that one...
scotty b
Isn't there just something really cool about primer and guide coat ? smile.gif
smontanaro
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 29 2008, 07:17 PM) *

Dumb question I'm sure, but what is "guide coat"?

Skip

scotty b
[quote name='smontanaro' date='Jun 29 2008, 04:21 PM' post='1050701']
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 29 2008, 07:17 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]
Dumb question I'm sure, but what is "guide coat"?

Skip
[/quote]

Not at all Steve.

Light coat of paint sprayed over the primer to " guide " you when block sanding. Helps to let you see any imperfections and to know when you have all of the previous sanding scratches removed.
914helo
The 'Guide coat' enables you to see any highs or lows when you block sand after the primer. After sanding a small area, if you see the black guide coat - you have a low spot, etc.
PanelBilly
A friend on mine just finished repainting a '59 Lister for a customer who is putting it up for sale. If you have an extra $750,000 that you don't know what to do with, this car could be yours!

I'll snap a photo of it later in the week and add it to this thread. The car looks very much like the one in your photos. They all look like Jags that went on a diet.

Seattle's car inventory sure has a big selection. If you know the right shops, you get to see a lot of interesting models.

And Guide coat is very important to use! Simply by misting your bodywork with cheep spray paint from the hardware store will show you where every valley is hiding. I rather find the low spots now than after the paint is on.
jimkelly
even i have fatter rubber on my car.

my vote - signal orange : )
scotty b
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jun 30 2008, 06:40 PM) *

my vote - signal orange : )

huh.gif
scotty b
This pile of shit got paint today. wet sand and buff tomorrow. This car has been a f-in nightmare due to the owner being an obsessed prick. The guy has a few " friends " with the real deal and seems to want this fibrecrab to be a comprable casr. I'll spare you the long story but the abreviated version is the damn thing was ready for paint a month ago, then he starts nit picking. I've had the right rear cut apart 3 different times becasue it's not good enough. What the idiot can't get into his thinck head is he has a WRECKED fiberglass mold taken from a HAND BUILT, raced for umpteen years and then WRECKED aluminum car.
He's got this idea that the original car was completely symmetrical and so should his fibreglass crab. WROONG homie, the original was beaten out as fsast as Guiseppie could get it done. It was a factory race car, no 2 panels matched. All Ferrarri cared about was the drive train. AAAHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh headbang.gif

It only takes one dipshit to ruin it for all of the A+ customers out there. I'm already anticipating 2 things.

# 1 "Hey this color doesn't match my 550 Maranello " Well a-hole it's the same paint code, it's fresh, never had time to fade, it was shot in a different brand, in a diferent booth, with a different gun etc etc etc. He won't get it

#2 after it gets driven oh maybe 5 miles ti WILL crack. It's fibreglass. The fuching thing has cracked 3 times already just from jacking it up. He's getting a page long disclaimer abiout that one, but it won't matter. idiot dry.gif

Whikle. I havew waited for this dip shit to come by and reject it for oh 3 f-in MM difference ( that wasn't,another story ) I got the GTV in the background stripped to bare ,metal, primed,bondoes,re-primed,wet blocked and ready to paint. THAT job is only 1000.00 less dry.gif

Thanks for letting me vent unsure.gif

The guy I werk with and I had a long discussion yesterday and are both in agreement to NEVER werk on this guys cars again. He's already asked about doing another one he's looking at ar15.gif
championgt1
That looks very nice! Guess you will have to change the title of your thread to New fiberglass piece of shit at werk. biggrin.gif
IronHillRestorations
OK your pissed! Wait, a pissed artist!!! That looks beautiful!
SGB
Really. Its LIQUID.
messix
if he wants perfection... charge for perfection! shades.gif

charge the shit outta him for all the hours, and more for having to deal with him.
nsr-jamie
Sorry to hear about all the troubles, I know how you feel, thats part of work I guess...I have the same thing everyday too from our customers. Anyway, the car looks really nice, you should be proud.
FourBlades

Looks shiny and smooth... idea.gif

Maybe you should pull some molds off that sucker while you have it. happy11.gif

Put all your dimensional tweaking to good use.

John
scotty b
GONE !! beerchug.gif Went to a show on Sunday and 3 of our customers called to tell us what a hit it was. Fortunately the owner has yet to call rolleyes.gif
turboman808
That car looks awesome. I still want a D-tpye though. I am curious if it's street legal with the half windsheild like that.

I am just waiting for the economy to turn around and I would like to buy a D-type replica. THere is no frame around the window though so I kinda figured getting it street legal would be pretty tough.

Car is built in UK and comes with a UK E type title.

Not sure why I am asking this here. But I haven't contacted the people in charge of such things in NJ yet.
scotty b
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 6 2008, 04:07 PM) *

That car looks awesome. I still want a D-tpye though. I am curious if it's street legal with the half windsheild like that.

I am just waiting for the economy to turn around and I would like to buy a D-type replica. THere is no frame around the window though so I kinda figured getting it street legal would be pretty tough.

Car is built in UK and comes with a UK E type title.

Not sure why I am asking this here. But I haven't contacted the people in charge of such things in NJ yet.

I don't know about N.J. but inVa you can get a " special construction " title for kit cars. I think that allows you alot of freedom. As for this car I don't know how it is titled, but he drove it away and to the car show with no plates on it. It also has NOP provision for a liscence plate. The guy seems pretty law abiding and savvy so I guess he knew how to go about it confused24.gif
watsonrx13
Scott, beautiful car and fantastic paint job..... aktion035.gif

Congrats on finishing it and getting it out of the shop....

-- Rob
scotty b
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ Oct 6 2008, 05:46 PM) *

Scott, beautiful car and fantastic paint job..... aktion035.gif

Congrats on finishing it and getting it out of the shop....

-- Rob

thanks Rob smile.gif
ws91420
When I am able to get my car painted that is the way I want it to look. Hopefully you will do that for me when I'm ready.
firstknight13
biggrin.gif scotty very nice job!!! i gues you have fully recovered from the pick-nic. smilie_pokal.gif
IronHillRestorations
Ya know you can get tru spoke wheels in 22"??? biggrin.gif

Scotty that is awesome work! Pure artistry. After all the BS though, I'm sure it's good to have it gone. ar15.gif
brer
speechless beauty.
Twise
It is always nice to see Ferraris leaving my shop...
r_towle
Doesnt look exactly the right color though... biggrin.gif poke.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 7 2008, 02:33 PM) *

Doesnt look exactly the right color though... biggrin.gif poke.gif

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Dr Evil
The rear looks a little uneven, especially around the tail lights poke.gif

av-943.gif
euro911
Yeah, can't you do anything right Scotty? ... tongue.gif

Looks awesome piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.