Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Going insane, road trip, buying stoopid stuff
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Malmz
Going to fly to El Paso Friday morning to pick up a new stoopid toy. Should be heading back to California shortly after noon and probably driving straight through except for a nap and food here and there.

Wish I had time to go Milo-hunting in NM on the way back! You Rennlist guys from about 4 years ago will understand when you see the picture below. If I feel any big bumps I stop and see if one of your 914s is stuck to the diff cover...

So, I'm officially aggressively selling my 914 (it's in the classifieds, but there is a direct web link below) and aggressively selling my Dakota V8 (another link below). As always, I have included too much info and too many detailed pictures.

Gonna probably cut up my XJ jeep and part it out too since it has a severe rod knock.

I've been looking for an Excursion, just not one that is this big. Oh well, it will be fun for a while and will be perpetually "For Sale". I have some room to play considering the price I got it for and how much the modifications are worth. I'll have another 914 not too down the road, it will be nice to only have 4 cars (plus the other rolling motorized large toys) for a while.

914-V8 link
http://www.malmz.com/signatur/914widebody/index.htm

Dakota link
http://www.malmz.com/signatur/Dakota/forsale.htm

Da new beast:
redshift
wacko.gif

oh my god

m
TheCabinetmaker
wtf confused24.gif
Mueller
wow.....looks like it'll take an entire bottle of Tire Polish per wheel smile.gif
Malmz
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 21 2004, 04:48 PM)
wow.....looks like it'll take an entire bottle of Tire Polish per wheel smile.gif

They are putting new tires on it tomorrow, the one's on there sat and were damaged. Hopefully they don't put as much of the same crap on them or I will have to go from El Paso to Phoenix on the power line roads to wear it off... laugh.gif

I knew the 914 crowd would be warm and embrace this vehicle transition! lol3.gif lol3.gif lol3.gif

sm
krk
Steve,

Your 914 looks a lot like a dakota laugh.gif

Is this it? http://www.malmz.com/cars/327914/index.htm

kim.
Malmz
QUOTE(krk @ Jan 21 2004, 04:53 PM)
Steve,

Your 914 looks a lot like a dakota laugh.gif

Is this it? http://www.malmz.com/cars/327914/index.htm

kim.

Oops, they don't make paste like they used to... I fixed the link above, but here it is again. Bet you wouldn't believe I didn't eat paste as a kid..........

http://www.malmz.com/signatur/914widebody/index.htm

sm
Scott Carlberg
That's a mean-looking SUV Steve blink.gif

geez first Chris/Madd Dog914 and his BIG Truck

and now this Excursion.
Maybe we should have a Big Truck.com division, eh?
scottb
that truck speaks to my inner bubba..... pray.gif

i dig it!

i have a 95 full size bronco that my 7 year old son wants me to lift up to the sky and throw some big meats on...... i see another project coming!!!
redshift
I just can't imagine.

smile.gif

M
Joe Bob
Does yer penis shrink when you climb in?
redshift
Do you stand up in it? Park it next to something we know, like the Grand Canyon, let's get an idea of scale.

I'll bet the circumference of those knobby tires is the exact same length as an early 914, no tits.

M
Malmz
I'll get some perspective shots next to the 914 by the end of the weekend.

sm
Malmz
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 21 2004, 06:17 PM)
Does yer penis shrink when you climb in?

Gosh I hope so, this dragging it around stuff is getting old! lol3.gif

sm
si2t3m
QUOTE(redshift @ Jan 21 2004, 09:22 PM)
no tits.

smilie_pokal.gif

Marc-André
Qarl
I think you can park the 914 underneath!

Keep the 914. Tell the significant other that you want to add another "garage" to the house, so you can keep the 914 covered.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Jan 21 2004, 07:09 PM)
no tits.

smilie_pokal.gif

Marc-André

Oooo, old line from the chat......
scotty
ohmy.gif Are you going to use the highways on your drive home? ohmy.gif
redshift
BOTH DIRECTIONS!

M
Elliot_Cannon
Does the excursion come with a rope ladder??
Cheers, Elliot
jonwatts
How do you get in it? Rope ladder? Jet pack?
redshift
Looks like Fitty Cent's H2.

M
Malmz
QUOTE(jonwatts @ Jan 21 2004, 08:19 PM)
How do you get in it? Rope ladder? Jet pack?

Always park next to a 914, walk up the trunk (your pick which one), stand on the roof, and jump in! blink.gif

Don't worry, the diesel exhaust should sit over the window level of most 914s.

I didn't even post any picts of the inside yet! laugh.gif

sm
keith
I always like it when a trucks diesel exhaust pipe is the same level as my side window.
BTW - How many g's will that pull?? About .02 or something laugh.gif

Keith
rick 918-S
Just like the Samuri in your driveway. They were going to recall those but they decided to wait til they all rolled back! laugh.gif
Malmz
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Jan 21 2004, 09:32 PM)
Just like the Samuri in your driveway. They were going to recall those but they decided to wait til they all rolled back! laugh.gif

The Sammi was actually stuck in front of the 912E I bought, got running, cleaned up, and sold. Kind of 2 for 1 deal since it was in the way.

I got the Sammi running, drove it up and down the street, then took the Sawzall to it! sawzall-smiley.gif The thing was jacked but still brought me a grand in parts!

Don't know if I'll actually Sawzall my XJ Jeep, or just take enough saleable part off then drop it at the junkyard...

Jay has been begging me to Sawzall his front punched parts car 914. Gonna have to get to that in the next couple weeks...

sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
Mike9142.0
What year XJ and how mutch for the whole thing?
steve@ottosvenice.com
Shaking head he asks" Why?". I just do not understand why anyone would buy one of those. They are not good at offroading and they are a bitch to park. BTW when the CHP gives you a headlight ticket for headlights that are too high it going to cost a fortune to undo the Mods.Steve
jonwatts
Oh now I know why he bought it, look at where he lives...
GWN7
That driveway is stupid...........
Malmz
QUOTE(Mike9142.0 @ Jan 21 2004, 10:20 PM)
What year XJ and how mutch for the whole thing?

'88 with a severe rod knock but still driveable. New Kuhmo mudders, new 3" lift. 4.0 motor. Passed smog last year tho... Clean title, limited slip rear diff, auto, power everything, a/c even works. Otherwise it's a beater. Kind of want to keep the Flowfit seats though... $500 FIRM w/o the front seats and radio. That is less then what I paid for the tires and lift.
Malmz
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Jan 21 2004, 10:46 PM)
Shaking head he asks" Why?". I just do not understand why anyone would buy one of those. They are not good at offroading and they are a bitch to park. BTW when the CHP gives you a headlight ticket for headlights that are too high it going to cost a fortune to undo the Mods.Steve

Yes Dear, yes Dear.

lol3.gif
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(steve@ottosvenice.com @ Jan 21 2004, 10:46 PM)

Hey I just bought one like that and it may not be good at rock crawling, but it is damn fun to go offroading. I have gone mudding everyday since I got it and it is awesome to plow through mud and over the bumps and hills and then get home, covered in mud, then do it all again. This is the last time I saw my new truck clean, when I got it . . . smile.gif

-Chris
J P Stein
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 21 2004, 07:38 PM)
QUOTE(si2t3m @ Jan 21 2004, 07:09 PM)
no tits.

smilie_pokal.gif

Marc-André

Oooo, old line from the chat......

Doan let Britain hear all that routine.....he'll have a hissy fit. laugh.gif
Mark Henry
A bunch of my buddies had jacked up trucks like those a while back and they would spend large coin on them. Me I had a $600. Bug with snow tires on them, I could go more places then they could and a hell of a lot faster. All on less than $10. worth of gas for a whole night. Also I never had to worry about my paint job, lol.
Totally pissed them off.

w00t.gif
Malmz
I flew to El Paso Tx Friday morning. Plane left at 7am, stopped and changed planes in Phoenix, and arrived in El Paso at 11:15 Mountain time (10:15 PST). Guy picked me up from the airport, went to his dealership, signed a couple things and charged a couple things, and got on the road. Left El Paso about 12:00 PST.

Drove straight through. Stopped for 10 minutes for a burger somewhere in New Mexico and a fresh load of diesel just West of Phoenix. Rolled in front of my house at 12:15am. 12 hours, not bad for the size of this beast and how much of a handful it was to drive.

It was a pain to drive due to the tires. The original tires were shot from sitting, so I had the dealer order another set. Instead of 44" Super Swamper TSLs they ordered and installed Super Swamper TSL Boggers. BIG difference in the Bogger name. The Boggers are 100% mud bogging tires. Much bigger and wider then the regular TSLs.

The Boggers grab every little rut on the freeway and pull the rig from side to side. They also rub the fender badly at full lock or going into driveways. They really didn't do me a favor installing these... And they weren't Cheap...

I went to a shop today to get info. I'm going to order some 40" tires on Monday and put the 44s on Ebay. The slightly used value of the Boggers should about equal the new cost of 40s, I hope... Water under the bridge, new learning experience, etc. etc.

The truck is Huge... Oops. I kind of knew that, but the reality doesn't set in until you actually see it. The plan is to go with the 40s is to also do about a 4 to 6" lowering job on the truck to make it somewhat more streetable yet still massive.

Two different people video taped me in New Mexico, several people took still shots. Every kid turned and stared. It's that friggen big. All the guys here say "dude, you have to keep it that high..." Wifie hasn't killed me yet...

Carson (boy #2 at 2 1/2 years old) loves it. He refused to go in Mommy's Expedition today, he had to go in the "Monster Truck".

914 Content: Couple of people are trying to arrange time to come and see my 914 by the end of the month. Might still do an Ebay stint just to move things along faster.

Dakota will probably hit Ebay shortly too. Ebay is still a great exposure tool, and most of my car sales via Ebay happen after the auction closes.

Jeep will get the axe as soon as I have time to do it. sawzall-smiley.gif

Still need to take a picture of it next to the 914 once I have a chance to move things around a bit. Right now I'm catching up on my Daddy duties.

Yep, this is all very stoopid. Guess that's why I've owned 40-plus cars in my <20 years of driving.

sm
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Malmz
This is the last pict for this OT post. Ordering 39.5s on Monday. Back 4" drop is easy, just need to pull the 4" blocks. I will pull a couple leafs out of the front. The steering already has accomidations to relocated it for that amount of drop.

sm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.