Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Holes in crankcase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
What are these holes for? Are they supposed to plugged?

Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
I haven't done much with type4's in a long while but. I believe the big one is for timing. There should be timing marks on the flywheel. Others can chime in on the small one. I believe there's a plastic cover that goes over the big hole. Again, not too sure on the other.
messix
those are there for the mice to come out and get water and food when the car is parked, they do get hungry with you stepping on the long pedal all the time happy11.gif

i think that there just there for venting of the clutch, there is another hole kinda shaped like a notch on the bottom that can be used for setting valve lash. check with the pelican parts they have a tech article on that
ClayPerrine
The big one up at the top is for a Vanagon with an automatic transmission. It is used to install and tighten the torque converter bolts.

sww914
The small one is to strip the flesh off of your finger if you stick it in there to move the engine around on the floor of your garage.
Dave_Darling
Isn't the little one for some kind of sensor that was used for diagnostics on some of the Buses?

Neither one is particularly useful on a 914.

--DD
type47
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 20 2008, 12:21 AM) *
Isn't the little one for some kind of sensor that was used for diagnostics on some of the Buses?
agree.gif on my '81 vanagon, there is a sensor in the top hole probably for magnetic signal to know RPM.
McMark
agree.gif the little one is bus 'diagnostics'.
Eric_Shea
av-943.gif Really glad I could help out in this thread. lol3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.