Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone ever replaced the vinyl on the sail panels?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
Basically what the topic says- the vinyl on one side is shrinking to the point that it's pulling free of the chrome trim, and I figure that since I've gotta redo one side, just as well redo them both. I see Pelican offers reproduction vinyl which is where I'll probably get the material; I've just never done this type of work before.

My first inclination is to just get the material and find a professional that can do it for me, but if it's not that difficult to do, I'll give it a try.

Any suggestions?
StratPlayer
Step bt step instructions

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=14625
Gint

We even converted it into a tech article.

Sail Panel Vinyl Installation Step-by-Step
jonferns
What is the recommended adhesive? I recall reading about a 3M product?
mattp
I have done it, used the instructions posted above, its easy. Just take yoru time. Matt
SGB
And what about the

R U S T
I'm sure to find under there? I've been afraid to pull those back for 10 years. It is gonna take really special adhesive.
davesclassicvws
I just finished this on my car about a month ago. Contact Craig at Camp 914. He's got the exact material for sale for much less than Pelican or AA. I just followed the instruction on the thread listed above. My suggestion is take extra care removing the side trim. If you look inside the fender well the clips holding on the trim have globs of putty stuffed around them. This can make it difficult to remove the clips. This trim is very fragile so use extra care.

As for rust, on my car I was able to grind the small holes and weld them up. I drilled holes at the top of the panel and flooded the cavities with rust inhibitor. I'm hoping this with stop the rust or at least slow it down. When I was done I welded these holes shut.

Another thing when you are trimming the vinyl be careful around the holes at the bottom of the panels. This trim is very thin and if you are not careful it's easy to cut the hole to big and then it will be visible when the trim is back on.

All in all, this is not a complicated project. It took me about 4-5 hours to complete.

Good luck and when your done post some pictures to show off you work. smilie_pokal.gif
dbgriffith75
Thanks for the advice guys- but it'll be a while before the work is actually done. This whole project has been start one thing, take it to the point where I can't do anything till I get parts or shop work done, then start something else while I'm waiting. But that's how these projects go.

The vinyl won't go back on until I get the car painted, and it'll be a while for that. There's sheet metal work to be done and I want to get the motor back in before it's painted 'cause I don't wanna risk scratching or scarring the paint while I'm doing that. I realize it's not that difficult a process but Murphy's lurking about, just waiting for his chance.

Of course I can't get the car painted till the old paint is stripped off, and I can't do that until the damn weather gives me a break to get that done. And when I do catch a break in the weather, I've got other stuff going so I can't do it anyway. sad.gif Hahaha... oh well, it'll happen sooner or later. I just recently found out that my "deadline" is basically irrelevant now.

My fiancee and I were counting on the profits from this car to pay for our portion of our wedding, but she told me the other day that we're in good shape as far as wedding bills go and that the pressure is no longer on me to get it sold by the time we're married. Which is good; because now I've got the time to tackle those other projects I was originally gonna let go, like suspension and/or stabilizing work.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice. And I'll try to get some pics posted sometime- it's just such a pain to do on dial up cuz uploading one photo can take as long as 30 minutes.
roadster fan
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 27 2008, 09:27 AM) *

My fiancee and I were counting on the profits from this car to pay for our portion of our wedding

So you were never gonna get married? av-943.gif

couldn't pass it up. Good luck with the car, and the pending nuptials!

Jim
Demick
I haven't done it myself, but I always liked the wax paper idea mentioned in this article. Should make getting the sail panels pieces placed much easier.
dbgriffith75
So you were never gonna get married?

Hahaha- I know, right? It'll turn a profit tho- As of right now, including what I bought it for, I've only got about $2K wrapped up in it, and most all of the major work is done except for the paint.

I would consider just keeping it when it's done, but the problem is I can't fit in the car unless the top is off, and even then it's a squeeze. My knees literally hug the steering wheel.

Porsche just don't make 'em for the big & tall guys. biggrin.gif
ChrisReale
I got a set of vinyl from Craig a number of years ago, and it was a fairly easy process. Be a bit generous with your measurements so you dont under cut. 3M makes an aerosol adhesive, I think its # 77, but I could be wrong. The hardest part of this was removing the chrome trim and not drinking so many beers that would end up upsetting your hand eye coordination drunk.gif
jonferns
I've seen that 3M adhesive #77 at Lowes. Is it is the proper adhesive? I thought I'd have to order it from somewhere.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(sendjonathanmail @ May 27 2008, 03:47 PM) *

I've seen that 3M adhesive #77 at Lowes. Is it is the proper adhesive? I thought I'd have to order it from somewhere.

Look, 3M 77 works fine. Where you get the vinyl from is more impotant - make certain it matches original.

The key here is to remove the VERY soft aluminum trim without screwing it up. Never use a screwdriver to pry it - use plastic picnic knives. Squeeze those clips on the backside tightly & you shouldn't need to pry anything. Once the anodizing on that stuff has crazed, you may as well throw it away - it IS fragile.

So, what are you going to find under the vinyl? A little bubble, or indent? That's rust. You can't grind it off, patch it up & expect it to not come back. Lurking behind that sail panel (if it's original) is a very dense piece of foam - you know, like a sponge. And, act like a sponge it does. The seams let in just enough moisture to fill the sponge. The weep holes (if they aren't plugged) in the quarters do little to help. Until that sail panel is cut away, the sponge removed, and the interior area rustproofed - you're spinning your wheels!

Yep, you can make a quick fix, sell the bugger, and let the next owner go through the same episode.

The vinyl isn't the issue - it's what's underneath & how gentle you can be to remove that very soft trim.

Fix it properly & keep records.
rufio0205
nevermind the sail vinyl has anyone made any custom fit sail panel "vent" louvers. or whetever they are called...i mean..i'd be interested in a pair. because my vinyl is coming off and i am not a huge fan of the vinyl
dbgriffith75
Look, 3M 77 works fine. Where you get the vinyl from is more impotant - make certain it matches original.

The key here is to remove the VERY soft aluminum trim without screwing it up. Never use a screwdriver to pry it - use plastic picnic knives. Squeeze those clips on the backside tightly & you shouldn't need to pry anything. Once the anodizing on that stuff has crazed, you may as well throw it away - it IS fragile.

So, what are you going to find under the vinyl? A little bubble, or indent? That's rust. You can't grind it off, patch it up & expect it to not come back. Lurking behind that sail panel (if it's original) is a very dense piece of foam - you know, like a sponge. And, act like a sponge it does. The seams let in just enough moisture to fill the sponge. The weep holes (if they aren't plugged) in the quarters do little to help. Until that sail panel is cut away, the sponge removed, and the interior area rustproofed - you're spinning your wheels!

Yep, you can make a quick fix, sell the bugger, and let the next owner go through the same episode.

The vinyl isn't the issue - it's what's underneath & how gentle you can be to remove that very soft trim.

Fix it properly & keep records.

Yes I'm now well aware of how fragile the chrome trim is- I should've thought to ask the best dang way to remove it! Because you know, God forbid a Haynes manual would actually provide a guy with some insight on the proper way to do something like this. I couldn't even find anything about removing the trim in it. biggrin.gif

I actually did okay getting most of it off- the one piece I had trouble with, which is kinda typical, is the first piece I removed- the left rear strip that runs the edge of the sail panel top to bottom. I may've put a lil' bend in that one- but I think it's salvagable as long as I'm careful reforming it. But once I had that off, the rest came pretty easy. I didn't use a screwdriver for the bottom trim strips, opting instead for my... uhm... what's it called... panel rivet remover tool... I think? It's what you use for popping loose the plastic rivets on interior door panels and the like. I gently worked it behind the strip, just enough to locate the first clip, then carefully and patiently worked back and forth, barely pulling it loose 1/8" at a time at the clips only. It literally took me 45 minutes to remove them, but I got them off w/out damage. I suppose I was just a lucky one... for once.

As for what's underneath the vinyl, I don't yet know. I'm not going to remove it just yet as I still need to do some painting on the firewall and I figure what the hell- it's coming off anyway, it'll make good cover for the sails while I'm doing that.

As for replacement vinyl, I just ordered the kit from Pelican. No it's not an exact match but it'll suffice. I'll probably keep one of the old pieces to give to the new owner as a reference if they decide they want to replace it with original looking vinyl.

*the realization to just go check the damn thing hits me now, so I do*

Well I guess it won't be necessary to keep an old piece, because it looks like the vinyl's been replaced once. I'll check w/ the PO to be sure, but I just went and peeled back about 6 inches of the top vinyl and there's no "sponge" under there. And then I compared the new vinyl to the old, and it looks like an exact match. So I guess I'll be checking to see if it's already been done once.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips. I'm still unsure whether or not I want to attempt putting on the new myself. I'm not doubting I can do it, it's just there's certain things I'm probably better off not screwing with. I guess I'll just wait until I get to that point and see how I feel about it then.
DonTraver
I just went and peeled back about 6 inches of the top vinyl and there's no "sponge" under there.

There shouldn't be any foam rubber under the vinyl. I used Contact Cement to attach my replacements. What ever adhesive you use, use plenty of it, otherwise the vinyl will lift later. I also used piece of 2 inch pvc wrapped in a layer of hard rubber to smooth the vinyl out. 7 years later, still looks new.

Good Luck, Don
gopack
Well I guess it won't be necessary to keep an old piece, because it looks like the vinyl's been replaced once. I'll check w/ the PO to be sure, but I just went and peeled back about 6 inches of the top vinyl and there's no "sponge" under there.

The "sponge" that was refered to earlier is actually a piece of foam that fills the interior of sail panel, not a foam pad under the vinyl! no one knows for sure what the hell they wer thinking at Karmen on these!
dbgriffith75
The "sponge" that was refered to earlier is actually a piece of foam that fills the interior of sail panel, not a foam pad under the vinyl! no one knows for sure what the hell they wer thinking at Karmen on these!

Well don't I feel like an idiot, haha... oh well, I'll find it when I find it. I've been fighting a bad case of tendonitis in my shoulder for a few weeks so the most work I can do is just piddle here, fiddle there... anything that requires any muscle work is out of the question till I'm healed up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.