Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuse Panel Cover Alternative to 914.612.316.10
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hydroliftin
I read a post here not too long ago about an OEM fuse panel cover on eBay for $150. Not long after I had an incident where I ended up picking fuses off the floor of my 914 in the dark when the headlights wouldn't go on. It got me thinking that I needed to get a fuse panel cover, but I didn't want to spend much to get one. So I looked at what was available for VWs and found the following VW part fits just fine:

The one I found was marked 111-555D
but I think the VW part # is 111-937-555D

Fits Bug's 72 - ' 79, Bus's ' 73 - ' 79, Ghia's ' 72 - ' 74, and Type 3's '70 - ' 73 also Van ' 80 - ' 85

AND NOW the 914!

And you can find it for under $10.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
burton73
Great tip thanks,

Bob
championgt1
Cool. Where did you get it. VW shop?
SGB
You should see the big smile I have. This is good news. smile.gif
Wanna9146
http://www2.cip1.com/SearchResults.asp?Sea...;Search1=Search

If you order 10 from this website, shipping is free. Group purchase anyone?
Rand
Modern blade fuses rule, for a reason. I will never drop money towards the old bullet, kick and spill over the floor crap. Engman and Jwest (vendors here) have WAY better replacement options.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 09:45 PM) *

Modern blade fuses rule, for a reason. I will never drop money towards the old bullet, kick and spill over the floor crap. Engman and Jwest (vendors here) have WAY better replacement options.

JWest

Upgraded 914 Fuse Box
JWST-914-FSBX2
$95.00

blink.gif

I can buy a lifetime supply of chicklets for $95.

Rand
What's your point? You like to collect chicklets? To each his own I guess. I say get the blades and be done. Bullet fuses SUCK!!!!
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 10:45 PM) *

They still use those on cars made today. The bullets are not bad and the only reason to change is if you have a bad board.
Rand
Hi Jon. wavey.gif
Bullets suck.
If you have a board with them, it's a bad board. tongue.gif (ok, ok, some CWs want them, and some others STILL run them. Hah. beerchug.gif )
Or we could argue about why blades have replaced them in newer cars.
Personally, I hate chicklets on the floor. Yeah, I know, I could buy a replacement 914 fuse panel cover for the cost of a complete blade replacement solution. But.... Nah, I prefer more sensible upgrades.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 10:55 PM) *

Hi Jon. wavey.gif
Bullets suck.
If you have a board with them, it's a bad board. tongue.gif (ok, ok, some CWs want them, and some others STILL run them. Hah. beerchug.gif )
Or we could argue about why blades have replaced them in newer cars.
Personally, I hate chicklets on the floor. Yeah, I know, I could buy a replacement 914 fuse panel cover for the cost of a complete blade replacement solution. But.... Nah, I prefer more sensible upgrades.

My '93 190 E has bullets and my dads 97 S500 has bullets. confused24.gif I don't know what my 98 528 has. Never had to look yet.
Rand
Ok, I don't want to argue. I simply prefer blades. In the 914, if the fuse panel cover is missing, the fuses often get kicked out and spilled all over the floorboard. AKA chicklets on the floor.

Pick your solution. I prefer a modern blade upgrade. That's why they exist.

Don't make me chase you down and put positive exobytes in your digital camera. tongue.gif To each his own. beerchug.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif It's been a while Rand.. Hope everything is going well.
Rand
We need to stir up the locals for a brew night bro!
PeeGreen 914
Sounds like a good idea.
Wanna9146
QUOTE(Rand @ May 20 2008, 09:51 PM) *

What's your point?

I can get a hooker (with all her teeth) for $95...

Upgrading to blades is a perfect waste of good $$$.

(On the other hand, I'd retrofit a $5 blade panel from a junked car before I'd spend $95 on a "store-bought" conversion).
Rand
Eww. No thanks on the $95 hooker. Hope you have some Jwest or Engman condoms. laugh.gif

I'll take the blades.

But, I will give you this...... If you want to adapt a blade panel from a junkyard instead of paying for a plug and play unit....... I admire that! In fact, that is exactly my style! beerchug.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Why not just refrain from kicking the fusepanel? cheap, effective, bone stock. BTW, if you're kicking the fuses out of the panel without the cover, do you really think you'll be able to avoid destroying the cover along with the fuses? The Cap'n
So.Cal.914

JWest

Upgraded 914 Fuse Box
JWST-914-FSBX2
$95.00

VS

1967-79 10 or 12 Fuse Box Cover

SKU 181 937 555 A
Weight 0.00 lbs
Price: $6.99

Hmmmmm
Dr. Roger
all i can say is if you choose to retrofit to blade from another mfg fuse block, do NOT use one from a jeep cherokee. major project.... dry.gif

headbang.gif
southernmost914
Way cool! BusDepot.com, $2.78.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
new repros are available and they fit but do not look as pretty but are marked properly
JWest
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 21 2008, 03:27 AM) *

JWest

Upgraded 914 Fuse Box
JWST-914-FSBX2
$95.00

VS

1967-79 10 or 12 Fuse Box Cover

SKU 181 937 555 A
Weight 0.00 lbs
Price: $6.99

Hmmmmm

Sometimes it seems like making stuff for 914s is not worth it...

BTW, I used to sell those original fuse covers too and I sold a LOT more blade conversions than fuse covers during the time they were both offered on my site.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.