Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Seal Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Got one of those Victor Reinz seal kits, thought I'd replace the seals that are inexcessible while the motors out and on the stand. Never done this before... blink.gif

How the hell are you suppose to tell what seal goes where? I realize that there is some expectation from the manufacturer that if you bought a seal set, you kinda sorta know what your doing. confused24.gif It would be somewhat easy to match pieces up as I take them off, but how do I know the DAPO put all the right pieces in to begin with? icon8.gif

This DACO needs help. Where do I find it?

Kev
G e o r g e
Kevin what are you looking to reseal?

push rod tubes seals should be self explanatory

front and rear main seals are not in the kit

oil cooler seals are mushroom shaped/ but you will no what they look like when you pull it off.

So.Cal.914
Do you own a repair manual?
kconway
QUOTE(George H. @ May 20 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Kevin what are you looking to reseal?

push rod tubes seals should be self explanatory

front and rear main seals are not in the kit

oil cooler seals are mushroom shaped/ but you will no what they look like when you pull it off.

George,
I guess I never could tell where my leak was coming from so I figured I'd just replace everything while it was "easy". I replaced the oil cooler seals, no problem. I guess I was looking for the distributor shaft seal but couldn't tell if it was actually in the kit. The kit has two different pushrod tube seals, I think green and black, hopefully I'll be able to tell which goes where when/if I pull the old ones. Doesn't look like its leaking from the tube seals so not sure I should mess with it.

The kit has a few of copper washers that I haven't got a clue if I should even worry about.

Kev
kconway
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 20 2008, 09:36 PM) *

Do you own a repair manual?

Yup, Chilton and Clymer...Do you? Don't know about yours but neither are any help with identifying seals. I guess I was hoping someone would say I got robbed on my kit cuz there is suppose to be a parts list that describes each part.

Kev
ejm
Here's the contents of a typical kit. Anybody up to making a list of what fits where?

kconway
Where's the Cap'n?
type47
this is what i can identify. some pix are too small to see for positive id

A valve cover gaskets
B exhaust head to heat exchangers
C oil filler
D taco plate
E exhaust heat exchangers to muffler
F flywheel
G push rod tubes
H push rod tubes
I oil filter tower
J
K
L
M
N
O distributor seal
P oil pickup tube seal
Q oil cooler seals
R
S
T
U
V
W flywheel washer
X oil pump gasket
Y
Z cylinder base gaskets
AA cylinder to head gasket 2.0
BB cylinder to head gasket 1.7?
CC exhaust 1.7?
DD
EE intake
FF "vibration" assembly dampers on case thru bolts
r_towle
Not sure what motor you have, but here is the list of things that I replace when its out.

The first section is all about oil and vacuum leaks.
Most important are the oil filler cover gaskets, base gasket, and o-ring (ljet had the o-ring)

Push rod tube seals
Oil cooler seals
F/R main seals
Flywheel
Oil filler cover gasket (s) Djet has one...Ljet has two
Oil filler base gasket
Oil pressure sensor gasket (copper washer) and rubber boot
Valve cover gaskets
Distributor o-ring

Optional
Intake manifold gaskets....its head---gasket---spacer---gasket--manifold
Exhaust gaskets (copper oval washers)
Rear exhaust gaskets

The rest of the gaskets require some motor disassembly.
If these are leaking, you need to do machine work to get the parts correct for the new gaskets.
Cylinder base shims.
Head gaskets (an open debate)
Oil pump gasket

Rich

kconway
Could the copper washers marked "T" be for the taco plate?
TravisNeff
what the hell are CC and DD?
rhodyguy
could they be for the 75'-76' style heat exhangers/stub pipes? like items in groups of 4.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.