Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relays
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mavrick272
On my 914, for reasons known only to God, the idiot who owned it before me removed some of the relays
On the relay board in the engine compartment there are a few missing (some of which I think are suppose to be gone, but not sure)
On the relay/regulator board/thing underneath the passenger's seat, all of the relays are gone
On the relay board on the fuse panel a few are missing as well
I have a '74 914 with original fuel injection
I was wondering if anyone has any pictures of the correct setup or has any advice for me on locating replacement relays or what the relays are even for (The Haynes manual isn't very useful for this, unless I'm just looking in the wrong spot)

thank you

(this must be why I got the car for free.... headbang.gif )
championgt1
Is your car a 2 liter or 1.8? If it is a 2 I can take some pictures tommorrow and post them. Maybe someone will come up with some pictures if not I will get some.

So.Cal.914
I have the layout somewhere, the crap under the pass seat is just that...Crap. they probably already did a bypass. Used to kill the ignition when seat belts weren't buckled.
Dave_Darling
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73E.jpg

A 1.8 uses the rear-most relay only--the one for the heater blower motor. A 2.0 would use all but the front relay.

The stuff under the seat was the seatbelt interlock (the crap that prevents you from starting the car if the belts are not fastened), and the "door ajar" buzzer.

--DD
Rand
QUOTE(Mavrick272 @ May 20 2008, 09:51 PM) *

On my 914, for reasons known only to God, the idiot who owned it before me removed some of the relays...(this must be why I got the car for free.... headbang.gif )

Don't sweat it yet! A few missing relays in nothing to fret about. Especially if they aren't needed. If you got the car free, the only thing you should be worried about is overwhelming rust in certain hidden spots.

If you end up needing a relay, they are easy to come by.

welcome.png
Mavrick272
I have the 1.8
r_towle
Under seat circuit is called a "logic circuit" and it is not a relay in any way.
Under the seat you just need to make sure that the two large yellow wires are connected, then you can tuck that wiring loop back into the tunnel.
If you want the seat buzzer and door ajar thing, you will need to re-wire those. I believe the interior light is also looped through that "logic circuit" and will need to be spliced so the light works...but I cant remember how we did that. just follow the wires...there are two that go up under the back pad for the light.

The Relay board in the engine compartment is generic..its original design is for the DJet FI system. They left it there for simple wiring.
As Dave said above, you only use one relay in that board when you have LJet.
the main FI relays on LJet are mounted to the bottom of the battery tray and are in a single rectangular aluminum container about 2 inches long.
The relays look like small candles...

Missing relays on the main fuse board...dunno which ones, but all my cars have empty relay slots in the main fuse panel...
As long as you have relays for the options that your car has...you are good to go.

If you collect extra round relays, keep them plugged into the spare slots in the relay board in the engine bay...that way they are always with you...its a great place to store spare relays.

Rich
Mavrick272
On the under seat relay board there is one relay that is bypassed and the rest are missing

Thanks guys, I appreciate it

here are some pictures:
Mavrick272
Engine Relay board (top of pictures is passengers side of car)
http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=porsche012fe4.jpg]IPB Image[/URL][/img]

Engine relay board 2 (top of pic is front of car)
http://img360.imageshack.us/my.php?image=porsche013oe1.jpg]IPB Image[/URL]

Under seat circuit board relay thinggy
http://img357.imageshack.us/my.php?image=porsche014bz6.jpg]IPB Image[/URL]

Behind fuse panel
http://img388.imageshack.us/my.php?image=porsche015wt6.jpg]IPB Image[/URL]
r_towle
Under the seat.
Your logic circuit is missing, that is ok
There was a TSB issued by the factory back in the day that told the service techs to do exactly what you have there, but to do it better.

Think of the water that gets down there...do you reall want that sitting on the floor under the seat??
I remove the two large yellow wired and connected them directly and use heat shring tubing,...

What you have there is a homemade jumper that does the same thing, but its exposed to potential damage.

The rest of the pics look fine to me...though I dont remember which relays are missing on my main fuse panel...

Rich
Rand
On the relay board in the engine compartment, the front missing relay is for the rear window defog. Most cars don't have that. So, not needed. The rear-most is for the heater blower fan.

Mavrick272
does anyone have any idea what that yellow wire coming off the engine relay board is for? or what relay it's hooked into? I think that it is after market
Cevan
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 21 2008, 01:55 AM) *

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/parts/Elec...lectric_73E.jpg

A 1.8 uses the rear-most relay only--the one for the heater blower motor. A 2.0 would use all but the front relay.

The stuff under the seat was the seatbelt interlock (the crap that prevents you from starting the car if the belts are not fastened), and the "door ajar" buzzer.

--DD

My 1.8 has two relays on the relay board, the rear-most as described above and the forward-most, which is the rear window defrost.
r_towle
QUOTE(Mavrick272 @ May 21 2008, 03:07 PM) *

does anyone have any idea what that yellow wire coming off the engine relay board is for? or what relay it's hooked into? I think that it is after market

It thought that we a jumper for the fuel pump.
Not certain. I will be digging out my sons 1.8 liter Ljet later tonight and I will post pics of the stock setup, relays etc.

Rich
Dave_Darling
The 1.8s have a yellow wire that hooks up to the four-pin plug on the relay board. This carries the "starter is cranking" signal to the "dual relay" (already mentioned; it hangs off of the battery tray) to turn the EFI and the fuel pump on when you try to start the car.

--DD
r_towle
is there some problem with the car?

Rich
Mavrick272
Thanks guys for the help

yes, there are many things wrong with it, haha
(I got it from a dude who was a complete and total idiot)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.