Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problem with valve covers.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
My motor is a 1911 I got used. It has a carb cam of unknown spec. It runs pretty good. The valve adjusters are a swivel foot style adjuster and the top of the adjuster whacks the inside of the valve cover. This does two things. First, it eventually breaks a hole in the cover. Second, the tapping causes the valve cover to lift ever so slightly from the head, allowing the gasket to buckle a little and leak oil.

I assume I could swap out the adjusters with stock ones or I can cut the adjusters to make them a smidge shorter and re-tap them to make sure I can still use them.

I was wondering if there is an option for a taller valve cover of some sort? I've seen screw on covers, but I am not sure how those work or if they provide any more clearance.

Here is a picture of a busted valve cover from the last time this happened.

Click to view attachment

TIA
JB 914
Joe i have a set of valve covers that are not stock and i'm not using them. you are welcome to them. PM me.
Gint
I'm no expert, but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the problem (and the solution) is probably not the valve cover but your valve train geometry.

Check out this recent thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=81975&
SGB
I think so too. Sounds like some kind of shim is need under the rocker arm blocks.
HAM Inc
Shorten the screws. It's that simple. That's what Jake does. He then reslots the ends for a screw driver. It also lowers the wt. of the assembly in the most wt. critical area of the entire valve-train. 1 gram of wt removed at the valve side of the rocker shaft will raise the redline ~25RPM's.
VaccaRabite
if you shorten the screws, don't you have to be really careful to keep them balanced? or does that not matter in this case?

Zach
r_towle
yes balance matters.
BUT
its alot better to have a screw that is 1/5 a gram off then to have a hole in your valve cover...

If you measure the screws prior to cutting, you should be able to get damn close to the same size.
Leave some extra material sticking out that you can grind off the sides if you decide to balance them...

I bet you could buy pre-made , pre-cut, pre-balanced screws from Jake is you ask nice.

Rich
KaptKaos
I'll check with Jake biggrin.gif

This is one of those "while you're in there" jobs, as I have a leaky pushrod tube seal too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.