Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie scores another car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nie Zu Alt
Folks,

About a month ago I posted about a red '73 1.7 liter that I purchased in CA and had it shipped to Colorado. Well, that car is on jack stands in the garage with the engine and trans out getting cleaned up, a new clutch, and a bunch of other odds and ends. So last weekend, we were alerted to another 914 for sale, this time 15 miles from our house. So the wife says, aren't you going to at least go look at it? She didn't have to ask me twice!

The guy selling it had it posted on eBay and one picture and short description left you wondering what it really was. As it turned out, it's a '74 2.0 liter with stock F.I. and all the goodies - sway bars front and rear, '74 limited edition front spoiler, chrome bumpers, fog lights, a set of 5 Mahle's, luggage rack, MSD ignition, and decent stereo with amp. He also had 2 center consoles w/gauges, extra tail lights, the stock air filter box, a new/used speedo, a bra, and a box full of rubber seals from Pelican. The hell hole had surface rust and has some pitting, but no holes! It was painted over with POR15 a long time ago. The longs are near perfect! The marker lamps were filled in and the car was resprayed in the original metalic silver. The engine has approx 37,000 miles on it and pulls very strong. The interior need a bit of work.

He purchased the car 5 years ago and always had a local shop do all the work. Lots of receipts! He lives on a good sized ranch in the country (dirt roads) so there are some small rock chips along with a some scratches. All in all it is a very sound car. But, it has to be the dirtiest car I have ever run into. The red clay dust from the dirt roads and blowing winds on the prairie is every where. Dirty, dirty, dirty!

So, after looking at the car for a while, my wife strikes a deal with the guy. Drive home price - $3200! smilie_pokal.gif This was about $7K less than he had into the car. He just wanted to get rid of the car now that he had purchased the 911 of his dreams.

So here are some pics of the car right after we drove it home, dirt and all. Needless to say, I have a very special wife and we have our second 914 in one months time. This really is a sickness, isn't it! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Look at all the dirt/dust on the visors - the whole car is really that dirty.

Click to view attachment
Nie Zu Alt
Here are some more.....

Did I mention the dirt? My son cleaned the air filter just to show the contrast.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The rear trunk is in pretty nice shape. It came with the carpet and foam pad under it.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

That's it for now. I'll be giving the whole car a good cleaning over the long weekend. For once in my life, I was at the right place at the right time. I'm stoked! And for those folks out there looking for a car, don't give up. It may be right in your own back yard.
RoadGlue
Nice find at a great price. Congrats!
Gint
Great score Doug!
SGB
MSD, Mahles, straight panels. WOW.

smile.gif
davep
Great score. Please update your profile with the data from both cars.
rick 918-S
Wife made the deal? driving-girl.gif Sounds like her car now.
shelby/914
Score, Score, Score, way to go Doug! I'm glad that I posted the ad on our board and you snagged it. I need to come over and take a look at it. I think it use to live about a mile from me in Chenango.
914helo
Nice looking car. I'm not a big fan of the rubber pad under the rear trunk carpet. Great score!
Ferg
shaved front fenders too biggrin.gif

Nice

Ferg beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like all the right stuff for and LE. Whats the paint code?
r_towle
DO NOT JACK UP THE CAR...

Just drive it till the other one is off the jack stands.
Dont buy another set of jack stands.
One project car is enough...

Rich
purple
you suck.

that's the color mine should be.

you paid less than me.

you suck.

the trip is the dirty-ass engine with a clean K&N on it, funny!
Nie Zu Alt
Folks,

Thanks for the kudo's. I'm very happy with the car.

davep - I'll get the data entered for both cars.

Curt - The paint code is L96D - Silver Metallic. I agree, it does have all the features of a L.E. car - except the paint! Interesting....

Rich - Too late on the jackstands. When we brought it home yesterday, it needed to have the clutch adjusted, oil topped off and a very leaky fuel line replaced. We almost had a Car-B-Que on our hands as a section of the fuel line going up thru the engine shelf had been rubbing against the body a long time and finally let loose. Gas went everywhere while my son was out on a drive by himself. Andrew did great, he immediately shut everything off, coasted to a stop and stopped the leak. That was one lesson I taught him long ago with old VWs and fuel lines. He called me and we towed it back home. So, less than one hour after getting it home, it was on jack stands! It’s all fixed now and we’ve been driving around since then.

Purple - Hater! happy11.gif
messix
Lucky bastard!!!!!

awesome wife!

and the luck of finding cars!
Cevan
Great find!!

An LE car would have a center console, right? Actually, shouldn't a '74 2.0 have a center console, or was that it's own option in '74?
DEC
nice deal
Looks like a fine car
purple
you still have the best avatar, DEC.

my avatar, professor dandypants, agrees with me.
Slider
Nice score Doug,

Man im jealous both of the cars look better than mine... ohh well you deserve it! i looking forward to seeing the cars.

you gonna keep the trunk rack on it? and be cool like Sleepin.. or are gonna pull it off?

Post some more picks after shes cleaned up..
Sleepin
QUOTE(Slider @ May 21 2008, 10:27 PM) *

you gonna keep the trunk rack on it? and be cool like Sleepin.. or are gonna pull it off?

Nobody can be cool like me! biggrin.gif I was wondering what it would look like if I put my rack and Mahles on Val's car! smile.gif Another L96D in Colorado! Very cool! Excellent buy...and cheaper than I bought mine for.... unsure.gif biggrin.gif
shelby/914
Went for a short ride with Doug last night, seemed to run real strong.
davep
Hey Doug, did you get a chance to update your profile yet?
roadster fan
I hate you.....in the best possible way biggrin.gif Nice score, enjoy the car but.................

GET IT OFF THE STANDS AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!

I have a rule for my 71. I dont start any project that I cant or wont have completed in a week. Period. No exceptions. The 73 is the project, the 71 is the driver. I drive it at least once a week. In fact, gonna drive it to work tomorrow and take the long twisty way biggrin.gif

Congratulations,

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.