Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Can anyone read sanskrit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
I have a scroll I picked up from a monastary in Lhasa Tibet a couple years ago. I had it framed and hung above my bed. I thought it might be interesting to see what it actually might say. So if anyone can read sanskrit, knows someone who can read sanskrit or knows of a website that will translate sanskrit please let me know.

Thanks.
redshift
If you post a pic, we can at least pretend to know.

M
SirAndy
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 21 2004, 05:58 PM)
I have a scroll I picked up from a monastary in Lhasa Tibet a couple years ago.  I had it framed and hung above my bed.  I thought it might be interesting to see what it actually might say.  So if anyone can read sanskrit, knows someone who can read sanskrit or knows of a website that will translate sanskrit please let me know.

actually, a close friend of my wife just announced recently that he taught himself sanskrit.
he also asked if we could see Jesus when we look at his face.
he now has a website where he heals people over the internet.

lesson learned: so THAT'S what drungs do to your brain! wacko.gif

do you want his email? i figure, you can't really loose anything by trying. (not the drugs, but his sanskrit skills) laugh.gif
Andy
redshift
That rocks man! The internet needs more downloadable faith healing.

M
Qarl
I think I saw the Virgin Mary in one of Mike Z's avatars!

Well... maybe her name was Mary, but I'm pretty sure she ain't no virgin...

P.S. (no offense intented towards or faithful 914 friends)1
BIGKAT_83
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 21 2004, 05:58 PM)
I have a scroll I picked up from a monastary in Lhasa Tibet a couple years ago. I had it framed and hung above my bed. I thought it might be interesting to see what it actually might say. So if anyone can read sanskrit, knows someone who can read sanskrit or knows of a website that will translate sanskrit please let me know.

Thanks.

I can read it from here. It says sell me that bad ass car of yours. smilie_pokal.gif
soloracer
Here is the complete scroll:

IPB Image

Here are some close up pictures (shitty quality):

Right side
IPB Image

Center
IPB Image

Amoung other things I also brought back this original painting by a local tibetan artist:

IPB Image

It's of a tibetan girl in her wedding dress. The artist had some other really amazing paintings but this was the only one I could afford to bring back. It looks much better in real life than shown in the picture from my lousy digital camera.

Side note: Don't buy an HP 4.1MP camera. Picture quality is not that good and the focusing takes forever. It takes almost a full 2 seconds to go from pushing the button to the picture being captured during which time your subject could move or shift giving a blurry image. I actually tried to photograph my dog, push the button and by the time the picture was taken he was standing beside me and all that showed in the viewfinder was a blank image. Tragic.
Qarl
It says... "My mom and dad went to Tibet and all I got was this lousy scroll"

The second part is some sort of curse about a rusting horseless carriage....
soloracer
Thanks guys for all the interpretations. Since it's in my bedroom I was hoping it would say "Caution Young Ladies - Don't touch unless you're naked. Leave all clothing at the door" mueba.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 21 2004, 07:35 PM)
Leave all clothing at the door

naaa, sorry. can't read it all but i definitely see the part about the curse ...

wink.gif Andy
redshift
It's says:

Item 914 847 937 04 (front bumper) is out of stock at this time.

Instead, we shipped you part number 901 847 936 01 (a 911 mirror gasket), we have used them many times as replacements in our shop

Thanks,

George Hussey

M
soloracer
Redshift: Classic.... laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Andy: So what is this translator friend of yours address? I think I will shoot him a message.
Qarl
You can reach Andy's friend at

1-800-SEE-JESUS
redshift
www.igotjesusesface.biz

M
F4i
Why not try the UofC? Should be someone there to help you.
GWN7
Solo...if you filled in your location (not that we don't know your in Calgoorliee), I would suggest that you contact the UBC. If I remember they have a large languages dept.

Neat scroll BTW

only thing I read in it is "Goat burgers $0.99" laugh.gif
Jenny
It's a book report from some class. The punctuation errors are clearly marked with red circles. lol3.gif

Jen
HarveyH
I think you have it mounted upside down ohmy.gif
tdgray
I took Dead Languages in College. I beleive it says

"Everyone knows that you cannot Turbo a Goat" huh.gif and then something about rusty german money pits... but that where I lose it.

T
maf914
QUOTE(soloracer @ Jan 21 2004, 06:59 PM)
I actually tried to photograph my dog, push the button and by the time the picture was taken he was standing beside me and all that showed in the viewfinder was a blank image. Tragic.

Tragic, maybe.

On the other hand, your dog could be a vampire! laugh.gif

Mike
need4speed
It's not Sanskrit. The letters are Elvish, but the language is that of Mordor.

It says;
One Ring to Rule them all.
One Ring to find them.
One Ring to bring them all.
And in the darkness, bind them. boldblue.gif
DNHunt
Your car got those pasley seats?

Dave
rhilgers
Not Sanskrit, but Tibetan.. just so you know what your asking for....

http://texa.human.is.tohoku.ac.jp/aiba/cod...d...main.html#3

-Rich
tod914
Must of been a great trip. One of my climbing partners did a 3 month stay over there.

Translation ...

"may the knats of a thousand yaks infest D-Jet"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.