Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What do ya all think of this car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Here is a runner that I am considering in SC. It is being offered at $4250, but I think I can talk him down to $4000 even. It is a 75 with backdated bumpers. I would be getting rid of the bumpers, interior and wheels. Probably give them to Scotty in exchange for a discount on the body and paint. It has a properly jetted set of webers on a 2.0 and runs fine supposedly. I have a PPI set up.

Let me know what you think.

More pics here:
http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sa...?albumview=grid
Spoke
Looks nice. Is this a "non-rust" car or rust survivor? I notice the battery tray is gone. Wonder what the hell-hole looks like. Did this have A/C? why is the front trunk floor replaced? Any pics of the longs w/o the rocker panels? Was that rust holes under the driver door jamb kick panel?
ericread
Where I would want to take a closer look at what's under the rockers or why the spare tire area needed to be replaced, you have the skills to weld at will. Looks like a good starter frame - maybe a bit pricey for what you will probably end up doing with it.
Carlitos Way
I think it's a great starting point. He can probably recover $1k or more by selling the engine/tranny. I'm guessing by the pics that it was an AC delete... I'd say jump on it.
type47
strange possibly. in one pix of the interior, there is a console and another pix of the interiod without the carpet shows no console (must have removed console to show floor condition) but (hard to be certain) horn button is different, one with a P crest other is .... blurred. you probably are careful that it's all the same car, not bait & switch......
TeenerTim
Are you going to have smog problems with a 1975? Is silver the original color?
You could probably get another $500 for the wheels.
r_towle
just buy it.

Rich
zymurgist
If you do buy it, talk to me about the wheels.
Dr Evil
It is an AC deleted car. He had pulled much of the stuff because he is gonna repaint it if it doesnt sell. The pic with all the stuff on is what is included. I would expect to recover some of the $ in selling the interior, wheels, engine and tranny. 75 is not a smog concern here or in CA.
Eric_Shea
Saw the photobucket pics previously. I'd be concerned with the longs. Hope the PPI goes into detail there. wink.gif

Good luck.
naro914
where in SC is it? if it's close to Charlotte, I can run and look at it for you.
Dr Evil
Joe Owensby is checking it out for me as he works in the town that the car is in. smile.gif

I am going to require pics of the longs or Joe's input on what he saw before I will feel completely ok with it.
brer
SD 914 ?
Dr Evil
The SD one is nice, but shipping might be a PITA since it doesnt run. I figure that I will have a runner in the one I am considering and after I sell off the parts I dont need it will be less than it would be to ship the one form SD. Joe is going over there tomorrow and will call me when he is inspecting it.

Regarding the pics in his photobucket, what do you all think about the warped back bottom of the center tunnel on the underside shots? I am not sure if I should be concerned about it and will likely have Joe look at it closer. I also want to see the fire wall where the shifter and cables come out.
Eric_Shea
SD car seems like "the" deal
Dr Evil
I started another thread for one in the Philly area. 73 that is supposedly solid lest a seized engine. It would cost me at the least $1000 to ship the SD one bringing the price to $2500 which it $400 less than the one 2 hours away that may be similar and is the year I want. Someone should jump on the SD one, though. If I were there I would smile.gif
Ferg
Food for thought...

One or two or ? east coast winters is enough to ruin a 914, just take a look at 1970 Neun vierzehn's resto thread, and the surprising amount of rust that was uncovered...

Since you really need a good chasis, I'd be looking out west, unless you found something local that you could verify no winter use.

Ferg beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
The one in Carlsbad sounds nice, I lived in leucadia, very close in No. county.

Every morning my car was covered with moisture from the ocean. My car rusted

as I watched. sad.gif My .02
VaccaRabite
Mike, stay clear of a 75/76.

PA will make you smog it, and you will never get it passed without getting an antique vehicle tags for it - which really limits what you can do with the car. It is one of those things I wish I had known before I got mine. I am going to have to go the antique tags route. In the past you had said you did not want to have to do that.

Zach

Dr Evil
Thats news to me, Zach. The 75-76b cars that Ron has been peddling didnt need to be smogged. Maybe I didnt notice that they had antique tags on them. Crap....that changes everything. sad.gif

The smog for pre 94 cars is just visual. That may be easier than you think to get passed. I will call Ron and see what he knows.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2008, 02:06 PM) *

Thats news to me, Zach. The 75-76b cars that Ron has been peddling didnt need to be smogged. Maybe I didnt notice that they had antique tags on them. Crap....that changes everything. sad.gif

The smog for pre 94 cars is just visual. That may be easier than you think to get passed. I will call Ron and see what he knows.

They do a visual, and pressurize the gas cap to make sure it does not leak.

Neither my car or your car will have a cat, EGR, smog pump, etc. The visual inspection guy would have to be nearly blind (or bribed) to pass it. There are other loopholes, like trying to get it titled as a hot rod. But I think thats more of a pain, and has mostly the same restrictions as Antique.

If Ron can get 75+ non-catted cars to pass the smog test, please let me know how! I may have missed a loophole somewhere - or I'll take my car for him to smog!

Zach
root
That photo of the flooring seems odd to me! It's been cleaned of original tar coating and Por15'd or just painted under and just in front of the bucket areas right!? See the the stop line just into the floor boards where the coating wasn't removed. This is all fine if there wasn't some serious corrosion (in the floor pan edging etc..). Also the top of the passenger side horizontal seat support channel looks as though it was welded along the top edges???? Maybe just my old eyes and/or the photo quality.

I say have somebody look real close for corrosion cover ups! shades.gif
Dr Evil
Zach, Ron knows a guy up here if you know what I mean wink.gif Also, he said that no one enforces the antique tag mileage limits. To get a charge to stick an officer would have to have documentation of your mileage, so the law is inherently flawed wink.gif
TeenerTim
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Zach, Ron knows a guy up here if you know what I mean wink.gif Also, he said that no one enforces the antique tag mileage limits. To get a charge to stick an officer would have to have documentation of your mileage, so the law is inherently flawed wink.gif

I went that route in CA back in 80's. I got one guy to let me through and then he left. I had dual carbs and no one would pass it for me. It became such a major pain in the ass I eventually traded the car in to a dealer. This was before the days of e-bay. You WILL regret it.
Gint
What the hell is that all over the bottom? Seems a bit on the high side. You've seen this car Mike? If I could see it and check it out for myself I might buy it. If I were you that is. I'd want to see the longs. Is it going to cost you money to get it home?
Dr Evil
Joe Owensby called me and looked at it today. He is gonna send me some pics. I am not in a hurry to get this car as it has some detractors, but is not really bad from the sound of things. I would be driving it home from SC with a stop off in VA.
keske968
If you are driving it back the whole way and you are comming through Omaha, NE lemme know... I got a room you can crash in.
Joe Bob
Ansa exhaust....rust magnet.....
Dr Evil
QUOTE(keske968 @ May 22 2008, 09:48 PM) *

If you are driving it back the whole way and you are comming through Omaha, NE lemme know... I got a room you can crash in.

That would be a little out of my way, but thanks wink.gif
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 22 2008, 03:06 PM) *

Mike,

If you drive any PA car less than 5k/year, you're exempt from smog. How many miles do you figure?
Pat
type11969
http://www.drivecleanpa.state.pa.us/drivecleanpa/default.htm

Anything you ever wanted to know about PA emissions inspections.

My 76 passed visual without an EGR filter but otherwise it is stock so may not be the best thing to judge by.

-Chris
VaccaRabite

County: York
Year: 1975
Vehicle: Car
Tests: Visual Check and Gas Cap Check
Note: Brand-new vehicles and vehicles driven under 5000 miles annually may qualify for an exemption sticker. Ask your service provider for more details.

Disclaimer: Gasoline-powered motor vehicles with a model year of 1975 and newer with a GVWR of 9,000 pounds or less and registered in an I/M county or region are subject to an emission inspection. Actual test requirements based on make and model, drive system, vehicle weight, etc. The regulations in Title 67 Pa. Code, Chapter 177 shall determine the test type for any individual vehicle.

Huh! I did not know about the smog exemption for miles under 5000 a year. I'll have to look into that further.

Zach
type11969
Yeah, its legit, I was asked the last time I got emissions done on the Miata. I think you have to pay a few bucks for the exempt sticker. They always find a way to get money from you.
Dr Evil
Thats great news, thanks! There is no way I do near 5000mi on the 914. I have too many vehicles wink.gif

This opens up some avenues, but I would still rather a 73-74.
plas76targa
Yo Mike. are you heading to Richmond today or ta-morrow?

and lemme know if that transmission is getting dropped off this weekend.
Dr Evil
Tomorrow in the AM and will pick it up on the way back either Sun or Mon. I gave your info to Steve to call you and drop it off. smile.gif
plas76targa
I'll be off auto crossing in the AM. I'll pm you the home phone for Steve.

Stop by on your way home ya galute
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.