Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: COA: New Form
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
McMark
I just got this email from PCNA, anyone who links to, or hosts the COA form should update their information.

To Whom it May Concern:

FYI - Please let your forum/site members know that there is an updated COA order form located:

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesands...ofauthenticity/

I have also attached this form so you may post an electronic copy if you can.

Please feel free to forward this to any sites you feel would benefit from this information!

Thanks in advance!

Warm Regards,

Ms. Kristen Bissonnette
Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
Certificate of Authenticity
davep
How many times do you need to ask for corrections before you get the correct info though? Far too many problems with their work.
What say Pat & Gustl?
Cap'n Krusty
One WOULD, I think, expect a guy dealing with classic Porsche automobiles to be able to spell "concours". Or maybe not ....................... The Cap'n
Rusty
If I recall correctly, Ms. Bissonette is actually a contractor, not a Porsche employee.

If you write her back, ask her to update the text of the site to say:

"What nicer more worthless gift could you bestow upon a loved one, friend or even yourself, than to give or receive a Porsche issued Certificate of Authenticity (regardless if it's accurate or not)? This valuable document MIGHT include your vehicle's original factory specifications, production completion date (Birth Date) and manufacturer's suggested retailprice (MSRP). This (overpriced and often inaccurate) document MIGHT prove to be invaluable for restoration, resale and for displaying your Porsche at official Porsche concourse events, such as the annual Porsche Club Parade. It also makes a great addition to your trophy case line your birdcage! Please review the attachment for complete program details. Also, when you receive your COA, please don't ask us to correct it to accurately reflect any well-established option codes or names - that's not our job."
ericread
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 21 2008, 11:31 AM) *

One WOULD, I think, expect a guy dealing with classic Porsche automobiles to be able to spell "concours". Or maybe not ....................... The Cap'n

av-943.gif

Maybe they are referencing Porsche Hallway (Concourse) events?

brer
concours translated into english is concourse... which is a hotel lobby.

laugh.gif

edit: beaten to the punchline. sad.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2008, 10:42 AM) *

laugh.gif

Whatever...over the years I've hurled in/at both..... barf.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2008, 11:42 AM) *

laugh.gif

Wrong! Actually, the term "concours d'elegance" is more aptly translated as "contest of elegance". While the two words sound similar, the word "concourse" is something else entirely. From Wikipedia:

Etymology

Literally, a "concourse" means a place where people come together. The word derives from English, French, and Latin, "concursus" and "concurrere," meaning "to run together." It is related etymologically to the word "concur."

[edit] Examples

Examples of concourses include:

* Meeting halls
* Universities
* Railway stations
* conference centers
* Hotels
* Airport terminals
* Shopping malls or portions of shopping malls which are often called "shopping concourses"
* Sports arenas and stadiums

[edit] Contemporary usage

More recently, "concourse" is often used to refer to a situation where people come together in online presence, even if they don't come together in real physical life. An example of such an online community is the IEEE Student Concourse, as well as various online shopping concourses.

The Cap'n
ericread
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 21 2008, 12:16 PM) *

Wrong! Actually, the term "concours d'elegance" is more aptly translated as "contest of elegance". While the two words sound similar, the word "concourse" is something else entirely. From Wikipedia:

Etymology

Literally, a "concourse" means a place where people come together. The word derives from English, French, and Latin, "concursus" and "concurrere," meaning "to run together." It is related etymologically to the word "concur."

[edit] Examples

Examples of concourses include:

* Meeting halls
* Universities
* Railway stations
* conference centers
* Hotels
* Airport terminals
* Shopping malls or portions of shopping malls which are often called "shopping concourses"
* Sports arenas and stadiums

[edit] Contemporary usage

More recently, "concourse" is often used to refer to a situation where people come together in online presence, even if they don't come together in real physical life. An example of such an online community is the IEEE Student Concourse, as well as various online shopping concourses.

The Cap'n

Cap'n, you are correct. But it's a little unweildy to reply:

Maybe they are referencing Porsche place where people come together, i.e. Meeting halls, Universities, Railway stations, conference centers, Hotels, Airport terminals, Shopping malls (or portions of shopping malls which are often called "shopping concourses), or Sports arenas and stadiums (Concourse) events?

It just seems to lack that "zing". sad.gif

brer
Wrong! Concours historically and roughly translated means

"Mines Better Than Yours"

Cap'n Krusty
I think it's a simple inability to spell (and likely to pronounce) the word correctly. We have two DIFFERENT words; "'concours" (correctly pronounced "con-coor"), which is short for "concours d'elegance" from the French usage, and we have "concourse" which isn't at all related to our discussion of automotive events. "Concour" is frequently pronounced "con-coors" by people who don't know any better, because they're unfamiliar with how the last "s" is pronounced (actually, NOT pronounced) in many French words. That mispronunciation then leads to confusion of the two terms.

I believe the Porsche spokesperson either doesn't know the difference, or has relied on a spell checker as a substitute for knowledge of the subject matter.

The Cap'n
brer
Yes, but hotel lobby is funnier. Non?
ericread
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 21 2008, 01:03 PM) *

I think it's a simple inability to spell (and likely to pronounce) the word correctly. We have two DIFFERENT words; "'concours" (correctly pronounced "con-coor"), which is short for "concours d'elegance" from the French usage, and we have "concourse" which isn't at all related to our discussion of automotive events. "Concour" is frequently pronounced "con-coors" by people who don't know any better, because they're unfamiliar with how the last "s" is pronounced (actually, NOT pronounced) in many French words. That mispronunciation then leads to confusion of the two terms.

I believe the Porsche spokesperson either doesn't know the difference, or has relied on a spell checker as a substitute for knowledge of the subject matter.

The Cap'n

I vote for the Spell Checker reasoning. Years ago I worked for "Recom Technologies". In writing a process improvement email to the company's CEO, I spell checked the document (through Microsoft) and immediately sent the doc without further review. I know... I was young and foolish (I'm no longer young). The email was sent to the CEO with the company's name spell corrected as follows: "Rectum Technologies".

The email was not well received...

horizontally-opposed
QUOTE(brer @ May 21 2008, 12:58 PM) *

Wrong! Concours historically and roughly translated means

"Mines Better Than Yours"

The guy who first painted my 914 in 1991 said that he didn't understand why concours guys didn't just stand in a circle, lock arms, and see who could go the longest without taking a $hit.

But then, maybe that explains my car's wavy sides? dry.gif

pete
LvSteveH
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ May 21 2008, 01:20 PM) *

The guy who first painted my 914 in 1991 said that he didn't understand why concours guys didn't just stand in a circle, lock arms, and see who could go the longest without taking a $hit.

But then, maybe that explains my car's wavy sides? dry.gif

pete

He didn't do shoddy work, he was just easy going laugh.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(davep @ May 21 2008, 07:17 PM) *

How many times do you need to ask for corrections before you get the correct info though? Far too many problems with their work.
What say Pat & Gustl?

it's not only that they provide some infoy that might be wrong,
they also provide info that's definitly wrong

example: built at Stuttgart (my 1974 1.8) IPB Image
example: colour code 1410 - tangerine headbang.gif
example: interior code 12 - seat inlays leatherette basketwave slap.gif

one needs good nerves to bear that ... for about US $150 screwy.gif

bye1.gif Gustl

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.