Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Suggestions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jetboy
First off, I am a 914 and a mechanic NooBie. I am more used to my suspension on my heavy 4dr hatchback and trying to get the teener to handle closer to or better than my daily driver (toyota matrix).

I recently bought my first 914 and its a '73 1.7l. Its as far as i can tell just stock suspension without sways. Doesn't appear to really have any sagging, so, i don't really see much that is worn out (again, i know little about working on cars so i wouldn't really know how to tell if it was worn out). It is sitting on 195/60 15 touring tires (pretty flexy sidewalls). With this settup i notice some "floating" when jerking the steering wheel back and forth in a straight line and body roll with the rear end breaking loose at about 55mph on a 30mph turn (best way i can gauge the handling).

Now my question.
I'm wanting to make the handling more neutral. Could this be done with just uping the torsion bar rate (maybe a 19 or 21) without a front sway and then increase the rear spring to about 140lb? I think some more performance oriented tires would help with this too. Im looking for streetabilty with increased performance. My grocery getter (mind you, I am very used to the handling of my matrix which is lowered with coilovers and settup pretty neutral for a heavy fwd 4dr hatch) can take this corner at about 65mph before even thinking about pushing (which happens before oversteer with her).

I am sure that the teener can do better than this, Im just not sure where to start. Anyone got any ideas? And, if there is anyone in the Riverside, Ca area that knows about setting up the suspension wanna get together over some coffee or eats and chat about 914s sometime... feel free to send me a PM and we could set something up. driving.gif
McMark
You got a whole crew of people in that area. To get the most out of your suspension you've got to get everything working together. It's a whole package.

* Front Sway Bar
* Rear Sway Bar (or not)
* Torsion Bars
* Springs
* Shocks
* Ride Height
* Corner Balancing

I would get a 19mm adjustable front sway bar to start things off. Remember that making changes to your suspension can SEVERLY upset the handling. Don't make changes and then go drive as fast as you can. You need to make changes and then get used to the new handling.
Gary
How old are your shocks? A set of koni reds or bilsteins all around may help a bunch while you decide how to tackle spring rates and roll bars. I got mine at Paragon many years ago now - had best prices then.

Welcome to 914-dom. aktion035.gif
Borderline
Your car is 35 years old. Make sure the front and rear bushings are in good condition, upgrade to plastic, metal, roller bearing (depending on your finances). Don't go too stiff! I've gotten carried away with my car, 22mm front torsion bars, 225# rear springs, and Koni yellow shocks are pretty stiff for the street. I would stick with Mcmark's suggestion of 19mm AR bar and something around 140-180# rear springs depending on how important comfort is to you. Just remember: tires are everything. Have fun. biggrin.gif
r_towle
Yah, what they said.

Rich
Eric_Shea
I'm wanting to make the handling more neutral.

Porsche did a "very" good job of this when it left the factory.

There's a lot of good advice here. Here are my all-time favorites in order:

1. Sway-Bar as Mark mentioned in the first reply. I honestly don't know why (other than economies of scale) they didn't put a bar on every car. Otherwise it rocks back and forth like a Chris-Craft when the red flags are flying.

2. Tough one... Shocks or Tires. I'll go tires. There's some great rubber out there that will improve your handling 4 fold. Do the bounce test though... shocks may be in order first.

3. Shocks. Konis or Bilsteins are worth the investment. Original Boges are excellent as well but get passed up because of the cool factor a Koni or Bilstein carries. Nice new shocks will rock your world.

4. Suspension bushings. Make sure everything is in working order.

***DEPENDING ON YOUR NEEDS... I'd stop there***

Most people want an awesome street car to carve up the twisties with:

Get a front bar that's too big - f-up your ride and require heavy springs or a bar in the back.

Get larger torsion bars - you REALLY f-up your ride (unless you are doing "serious" track work)

Be careful. In Porscheland there's always the "If it's one number bigger, it must be better" theory out there. Don't get caught up. A well tuned 914 is amazing even by todays standards. wink.gif
jetboy
So, is the front sway bar more benificial than stiffer torsion bars (if only doing one or the other)? And I'm sure many other things could use upgrading/replacing, but, i just wanna make sure i start in the right direction with as lil coin to start. Problem is, i dont really know if my car handles like a normal stock teener or if it is worn out suspension because this is the first one I've ever rode in or driven.
Eric_Shea
So, is the front sway bar more benificial than stiffer torsion bars (if only doing one or the other)?

W-A-Y more benificial. I would never use stiffer t-bars unless road racing. Serious road racing. You want your suspension to work with you not against you. Get it too tight and it looses most of it's good manners (for the street anyway).

Bunch of Cronies down there in Riverslime that know these beasts inside out. Real nice guys too (don't let the Billy Goat gruff thing scare ya!) biggrin.gif

Oh Slits... Slitsy-Pooh!!
SLITS
A stock 914, without swaybars, while mostly predictable in their handling, are a little tweaky while doing the dance of the curves.

So, on most weekends, Slits' Asshole Garage is open for business. Drop on by and we'll shoot the shit, call ya a dummy and take your money. If ya PM me, I'll shoot you a cell number for times and directions.

I don't have a complete sway bar setup for the front, but I'm sure we know someone who does.

Insults are free. Answers are costly. Answers requiring thought require a deposit. All faiths are represented ... assdragger ... midengine slow ... midengine fast ... family sedan .... etc.,
Smitty911
Slits,

Is that offer open to "Anyone", I have a 74 2.0 that I wouldn't mind having a Knowledgable body check out. Do you know someone? LOL

Really though, I'd like someone who Knows the cars to take a look. I have beer, not sure of the Brand White can, Lite Blue strip imprinted with "Beer" on the side. How much should I bring?

Smitty
Allan
QUOTE(Smitty911 @ May 22 2008, 12:06 AM) *

How much should I bring?

Smitty

All of it...
SLITS

Slits,

Is that offer open to "Anyone", I have a 74 2.0 that I wouldn't mind having a Knowledgable body check out. Do you know someone? LOL

Really though, I'd like someone who Knows the cars to take a look. I have beer, not sure of the Brand White can, Lite Blue strip imprinted with "Beer" on the side. How much should I bring?

Smitty

Yep, the invitation is open to all 'cept some dude named Allan Moore. I may ignore you if I'm working on one of my projects .... hell, I may ignore you anyway. I don't usually drink, but there's a couple of people that more than make up for me.

As for experts, we have a staff .... Ron, Slits and Professor 914. One of them will have an answer for you.

Like I said ... PM me for directions and a phone number.

davep
You will be in good hands with Ron.
You need to inspect the rubber bushings inside the front and rear suspension. My personal suggestion is: get another set of front A-arms and rear arms and work on getting them upgraded with new bushings. They should be cheap enough, and you can work on them while driving on the originals. If they were not cheap enough, sell the old ones when you are done.

Shocks are another big thing, and I would stick to either Koni or Bilstein. Koni are generally fully adjustable, and Bilstein are gas shocks that help support the load, so your shock choice can influence your spring rate choice.

Rear springs tend to sag over time, and go a little banana shaped; about 10 to 15 years used to be considered a good life. (So if they are originals, they were shot 20 years ago.) Consider new springs in the 140 lb range; adjustable perches are nice.
Smitty911
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2008, 07:12 AM) *

Slits,

Smitty

Yep, the invitation is open to all 'cept some dude named Allan Moore. I may ignore you if I'm working on one of my projects .... hell, I may ignore you anyway. I don't usually drink, but there's a couple of people that more than make up for me.

As for experts, we have a staff .... Ron, Slits and Professor 914. One of them will have an answer for you.

Like I said ... PM me for directions and a phone number.

All my drinks come out of a Dr. Pepper can. I'd like to have someone poke around on the silly thing to lend some direction for any needed fixes.

I PM you, thanks, hopefully we can link up.

Smitty
Eric_Shea
I'd like to have someone poke around

Settle down Slits... huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.