Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Santa Cruz County Wildfires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I hope everyone out there is okay... didn't look very good on Fox News. sad.gif
Borderline
I'm about 10-15 miles south of there..............no signs of smoke yet sad.gif
So.Cal.914
Damn fire bugs know the weather better than most, wind directions...Fuch we sure have our share of crazies. Hope everyone is Ok.
SirAndy
doesn't grant live down there as well ???

idea.gif Andy
Demick
Last Tuesday there was a fire in the field behind my house. Burned right up to our back fence. Homeowners assoc is responsible for keeping this area trimmed. This week, I bought a gas trimmer. Like they say, if you want something done right - do it yourself.
dbu356
Doesn't look like there is much trimming left to do. poke.gif
yellow914
QUOTE(dbu356 @ May 22 2008, 11:35 AM) *

When I left for work this morning it looked like a NUKE went off on the other side of the hill! Big Mushroom like cloud... scary looking! The winds are making it very difficult for the planes to be effective.

Dan in Almaden Valley probably had a good view of the smoke!
Demick
QUOTE(dbu356 @ May 22 2008, 11:35 AM) *

Not anymore this year......
EdwardBlume
Last Tuesday there was a fire in the field behind my house. Burned right up to our back fence. Homeowners assoc is responsible for keeping this area trimmed. This week, I bought a gas trimmer. Like they say, if you want something done right - do it yourself

Geez! That's scary. What was the cause?

BTW - if you need lawn tools I've got a shed full to borrow anytime!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Rusty @ May 22 2008, 09:35 AM) *

I hope everyone out there is okay... didn't look very good on Fox News. sad.gif

Nothing looks very good on Fox news ............

The DJ on The Pig this morning was saying the smoke had blown as far south as Carmel, and that was a couple of hours after the fire started. Gonna be a bigun .........

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
Nothing looks very good on Fox news ............

The DJ on The Pig this morning was saying the smoke had blown as far south as Carmel, and that was a couple of hours after the fire started. Gonna be a bigun .........

The Cap'n

This is all warm and fuzzy and I'm glad you're all right but... THIS BELONGS IN THE SANDBOX! tongue.gif w00t.gif

(hope all stays well there.) wink.gif
Elliot Cannon
Did Fox News blame the fire on Barrack Obama? av-943.gif
Demick
"Media outlets are reporting firefighters are responding to a 3,000-acre wildfire in the area of Highway -17 and Summit Road. No injuries have been reported at this time. At least 15 structures have been destroyed and 190 others are threatened. Approximately 300 people have been evacuated at this time.

At this time there are road closures for Highway 17 at Summit road."
biosurfer1
my sister teaches at the school at the top of 17 and summit road. Talked to her earlier and she said all the kids had been evacuated but the teachers had not been given the green light to leave (?)...lots of smoke there but no fire seen yet.
Jeffs9146
Hwy 17 is not closed! Summit Road at Hwy 17 is!

Caltrans Hwy 17

Type in 17 and hit enter to see the current road restrictions!
Borderline
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 22 2008, 10:00 AM) *

doesn't grant live down there as well ???

idea.gif Andy

Grant is north of Santa Cruz along the coast. He shouldn't have any worries other than the commute. I'm just a little east of the smoke trail, I can see out out the window about 3 miles away. The fire is up in the hills, I don't of any 914 people in the effected area. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
It's going to be a nasty fire season this year. sad.gif
grantsfo
Thing that surprised me is lack of air attack early in the morning. Fire was raging for hours before air tankers were called in. General cluster fuc$ response from CDF. Doesn't make me feel to comfortable on the North side of the fire. I didn't see a single fire truck on 17 side moving to fire at 7:30 AM.

Scary as this area hasnt had a big fire for a long long time and we dont get winds like we have often.

Huge plume of smoke and ash over the fire. I had birds eye view this morning and it was impressive.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 22 2008, 02:28 PM) *

Actually, they blamed it on Hillary and Obama... Then they interviewed a televengalist who says that it is the sodomists... I guess they cannot decide. blink.gif
jimtab
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 22 2008, 08:18 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 22 2008, 02:28 PM) *

Actually, they blamed it on Hillary and Obama... Then they interviewed a televengalist who says that it is the sodomists... I guess they cannot decide. blink.gif

I blame Al Qaeda ......bastards..... smoke.gif
dgw
we heard no sirens or planes until the radio news told us about a fire. looking out the back, we could see a huge plume of smoke. lucky for us, its about 5-10 miles south east and the wind is blowing south, so we are good for now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.