Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Houston, we've got a....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Carlitos Way
I had a phone interview with a company in Houston today. Looks promising. Could be relocating to the area.

Any thoughts/suggestions on moving to and/or living in Houston?

Thanks,

C:>
SLITS
Yeh .... I went there in 1977 and spent the next 4 years getting outta that hell-hole. Longnecks and Longhorns .... nowhere but Texas ... thank God. They otta give it an enema .... it would be the size of Rhode Island after all the shit came out

The first person I met was a lady while I was trying to set up bank accounts. Her husband had been given a $15,000 raise per year to move there. They had been there 3 months and were going back to California.

Your experience may be vastly different (I'm not real fond of the place you see).
Grelber
Move to Dallas and commute. It's only a 4 hour drive
biggrin.gif .

Houston has the worst traffic anywhere (and I grew up driving SoCal freeways).
TROJANMAN
In other words, he should reconsider his move? hide.gif

biggrin.gif
purple
All of you texas haters from california can kindly shut the hell up. The brainwashed idiots infesting california make me damn happy to be out of that place that should fall into the ocean like we were promised by nostradamus!

Houston's hot, muggy, ugly and muggy. It's a great place. plenty to do, down to earth people, and lack of hippies, i'm sure you'll appreciate that coming from that idiot state.

At least you arent legislated, how, in which hole, and how many strokes you're allowed in intercourse in texas. it takes a few years for that retardation to migrate from cali...

I lived in the SF bay and santa maria. the place is gorgeous, the people are sheep...
Cap'n Krusty
I thought Viet Nam was humid, until I lived in Washington DC. Houston made both seem like the middle of the Sahara Desert. Humidity capital of the world.. Plastic rusts in Houston .......................................... The Cap'n
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2008, 03:56 PM) *

I thought Viet Nam was humid, until I lived in Washington DC. Houston made both seem like the middle of the Sahara Desert. Humidity capital of the world.. Plastic rusts in Houston .......................................... The Cap'n

Which brings the question of.... how bad will the 914 fare over there?

C:>
Gint
This isn't gonna be pretty...
purple
My teener does well here when kept in the garage, which is where they are supposed to be.
So.Cal.914

(I'm not real fond of the place you see).

Houston has the worst traffic anywhere (and I grew up driving SoCal freeways).

In other words, he should reconsider his move?

I lived in the SF bay and santa maria. the place is gorgeous, the people are sheep...

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

I knew someone would mention sheep... w00t2.gif

I heard the BEST place in Texas is right in the middle. So no matter which way your heading...Your Heading Out.

But thats just what I heard, didn't Google it.
TROJANMAN
laugh.gif
purple
people from california like the middle....austin. it's as liberal there as any place in cali.

it's good if more californians stay out of texas. they ruined colorado real estate in the early 90's right after my family and I left.

Now colorado, that was a nice place. way better than cali or texas...if you have money and dont need to actually earn any (it was hard to make dough there)
SLITS
If it weren't for the Kalifornia transplants, Frozen North Transplants, East Coast Transplants, etc, etc ... youse Tejans would still be shittin' in an outhouse, have no 'lectricity, and livin' in sod houses.

Your daily meal would consist of Frijoles y Tortillas, courtesy of Santa Ana.

Ya'll couldn't dig your own gas or oil 'cause non of yaas could finger out which end of the shovel was useful.
So.Cal.914
Click to view attachment

Sorry...That Smilie just slipped out. rolleyes.gif
purple
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 22 2008, 06:33 PM) *

If it weren't for the Kalifornia transplants, Frozen North Transplants, East Coast Transplants, etc, etc ... youse Tejans would still be shittin' in an outhouse, have no 'lectricity, and livin' in sod houses.

Your daily meal would consist of Frijoles y Tortillas, courtesy of Santa Ana.

Ya'll couldn't dig your own gas or oil 'cause non of yaas could finger out which end of the shovel was useful.

I'm a transplant....i just like it better here. You have to leave california to see what living there does to people....it shuts their brains off.

Not everyone, just a large vocal majority.
Eric_Shea
it shuts their brains off

Well that fuch'n explains it! Move Slits! Move!!
purple
It's hard to be the butt of the nation's jokes, what with who's in office right now, but texas really is a great place. Your money goes a lot farther here than it would in california. i mean, when we were looking for a house there you had to have 500G's for a fixer upper! in houston it's quite cheap because people are afraid of heat and humidity. There is central AC in every house here, it's not like you have to suffer rolleyes.gif

also, if you have a degree in ANYTHING technical, you can work for the oil companies, then your money goes REAL far, since you'll have lots of it.

The weather is really nice for about 9 months out of the year. we dont talk about the other 3, we just stay inside....

houston is nice and the people are friendly and polite. (except me of course, i'm an asshole) you also dont have state income tax...so that rocks too. also, you dont have to smog teeners at all, just safety inspections, they are exempt from smog and odometer checks once they are over 25 years old. starting to sound good?

also.... there is a whole lot less frivolous legislation here. california really needs to focus on border security already. I realize that crops get picked by someone, how about paying people a decent wage instead of using slaves from south of the border?
sww914
I used to work with a guy from Huston. He was big. Like 6'5" and 350#.
I said- tell me about Texas, Duane. He said, weeeelllll, it's biiiiiiig. And there's a lotta willlld women.
Allan
QUOTE(purple @ May 22 2008, 04:55 PM) *

It's hard to be the butt of the nation's jokes,

Yer tellin me?
Carlitos Way
QUOTE(Headrage @ May 22 2008, 05:06 PM) *

Yer tellin me?

We could consider California and Texas two cheeks of the same butt... of the nation's jokes poke.gif

But... what would that mean for the people in between?
stateofidleness
i love texas smile.gif
home of the spurs wink.gif goin' for 5!
G e o r g e

houston is nice and the people are friendly and polite. (except me of course, i'm an asshole) you also dont have state income tax...so that rocks too. also, you dont have to smog teeners at all, just safety inspections, they are exempt from smog and odometer checks once they are over 25 years old. starting to sound good?

no , that doesn't push me over the edge to move

I do like that if you get side tracked while driving on the highway and miss your exit just keep on driving it will come around again and again

also.... there is a whole lot less frivolous legislation here. california really needs to focus on border security already. I realize that crops get picked by someone, how about paying people a decent wage instead of using slaves from south of the border?

So are you liberal or Conservative, descent wage? who works on your cattle prod farms? ar15.gif sheeplove.gif laugh.gif
dakotaewing
Carlitos -
Houston can be a good/great place to live if you have a good six figure income -
Don't bother if they are going to pay you less -
Houses are way cheap, and much bigger than anywhere in CA -
Make sure that you can live in a neighborhood within 5-8 miles
of where you work - You won't want to commute more than that in Houston...
A home and a garage would be a must have if I were in your shoes -
Houston is like CA in that there are areas that are great to live in and areas that suck... Keep that in mind when you are there -
The people in Houston tend to be very down to earth and friendly (especially the ladies), unlike a large part of Dallas -
And Slits, just to set the record straight, my family's been here over 140 years -
Not all of us are rednecks or full of shit... So - finger.gif
I have lived in Santa Barbara, Austin, Houston, Dallas, WI and traveled just about any place you could name.
Sure there are other places I would rather live, but I would need close to a seven figure income to have the same lifestyle that I have here -

Thom
Slider
QUOTE(purple @ May 22 2008, 05:42 PM) *

I'm a transplant....i just like it better here. You have to leave california to see what living there does to people....it shuts their brains off.

Not everyone, just a large vocal majority.

agree.gif

I agree, I never realized what it does to you until you move. i was born and raised in CA and i moved back there 2 years ago and i realized that CA is not where i wanted to be .. so i moved back out here to CO

Growing up in CA. i always under the impression that the other states couldnt live without CA that we had some special thing that if we werent there they would be in the stone ages still. granted the TV and Movies industry would be impacted. but i learned that other than that.. it wasnt true. And after i moved i learned that most other states are not that fond of CA..people might not like to hear that.. but its true

Im not stating this to bash CA or start some fight im just saying that i the mentality i think alot of Californians have. and that when your out of the state you see it just the opposite. maybe i was the only one that had that impression but i doubt it..
JB 914
I grew up in Houston and I've lived in Orange county, CA since 1993.

You should tell us where the job is located. Like any big metro area Houston has good areas and crappy areas.

Here are a few positives i remember:

1. Good People. Texans are friendly and outgoing.
2. Activities. There is plenty to do in Texas and it's all close to Houston. outdoor sports, hunting, fishing, rivers, lakes, oceans, etc. Texas has excellent state parks system and there is plenty to do and see.

3. Food. If you like to eat i think Houston is the "eating out" capital of the U.S. I used to travel all over the U.S. on my job and i've had to take clients out for dinner/lunch ALOT. Houston has some of the best restaurants in the US and alot of them are not expensive. BBQ, Steaks, Tex-Mex..... drooley.gif chowtime.gif Pappadeaux for cajun seafood, Taste of Texas (steaks). the list is endless. I think you could eat out every night at a GOOD place and never eat at the same place twice in a year!

4. Housing. You can get a HUGE house in Houston for the cost of a crappy California condo.

5. Education. (assuming you have kids) Texas has an excellent university system. My brother's kids are in Ft. Bend County ISD and he said the schools are very good. Houston has some great University's U of H, Rice, and my school University of St. Thomas. cheer.gif

a few negatives

1. Humidity. nuff said, prepare to sweat from June thru Sept.
2. Pollution. The smog levels a few years ago were worse than LA
3. Humidity. yea, i know it's #1, but, it's that bad
4. Traffic. Last time i visited i couldn't wait to get back to Orange County
5. Bugs. Mosquitos so big they can carry off your pet. Roaches that will fight the dog for the food. Fire ants.

Really it depends on where the job is and where you are going to live. If you work in Downtown Houston you don't want to live in Sugar Land. The commute will make you postal. ar15.gif

The inner loop has some nice areas. When i left in 1993 the Heights area was a 100+ year old part of town that was undergoing a resurgence. I lived there until i graduated. Very cool with lots of night life, bars, live music, and eclectic old eateries and it's minutes from Downtown.

Wanna live in suburbia? plenty to choose from on all four corners of the city.

If you do decide to move you should embrace the positive aspects of the place. I didn't really do that when i moved to CA. Once i put the boots in the closet and got some flip flops and roller blades and started to enjoy the things CA had to offer it became much more pleasant.

I like living in CA now. but, i work from home and own my business. If i had to commute to LA from OC i think i'd have been out of here years ago.

Good luck on your decision! bye1.gif
So.Cal.914

Growing up in CA. i always under the impression that the other states couldnt live without CA that we had some special thing that if we werent there they would be in the stone ages still. granted the TV and Movies industry would be impacted. but i learned that other than that.. it wasnt true

Not True?huh.gif
David_S
One afternoon, a Texan was being driven around the countryside in his limo. He happened to look over towards a tree on the side of the road and there were 2 men on their hands and knees eating the grass. The Texan yelled for the driver to pull over so he could see why the 2 men were eating grass. The 2 men said that they were from California and had moved to Texas, but had not found jobs yet and had ran out of money. They were SOOO hungry that the only thing they had to eat was the grass. The Texan told them to get into the limo and he would take them back to his house. The first Californian told the Texan that he had a wife and 2 kids. The Texan said that was fine, bring them along. The second Californian said that he also had a wife, but had 6 kids. The Texan again said that it was no problem. So ....they all squeezed into the limo. As they started towards the Texans house, they were all telling him how thankful they were for what he was doing since none of the Californians had eaten in many days... he must have a really nice house to be able to drive such a nice car .....etc...etc. The Texan finally got a quiet moment and told them " Yall will REALLY love my big wonderful house.......the grass there is about a foot tall !"
914Sixer
I worked in Baytown(East side of Houston) from 1984 until my pardon came thru in 2000. The only place I know that you can go to work outside at 8:00 am and be wet to your underwear at 8:10. Lots to see and do though. I now live close to MIDDLE of Texas, 15 Miles North of San Antonio in the Texas Hill Country.
purple
baytown? omg man, i'm sorry sad.gif
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ May 22 2008, 04:25 PM) *

people from california like the middle....austin. it's as liberal there as any place in cali.

Austin is a really beautiful place, full of warm, intelligent people. The only problem is that it's surrounded by Texans... biggrin.gif

SLITS
QUOTE(ericread @ May 23 2008, 08:31 AM) *

Austin is a really beautiful place, full of warm, intelligent retarded people. The only problem is that it's surrounded by Texas ns A&M rejects ... biggrin.gif

Sorry, had to modify your post to reflect the actual truth.

Ok, a quiz ..... "What's the difference between a Texan and an Okie?"

A Texan is a Mezzzeeecan that didn't make it across the Okie border.
Grelber
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 23 2008, 10:46 AM) *

Austin is a really beautiful place, full of warm, intelligent retarded people. The only problem is that it's surrounded by Texas ns A&M rejects ... biggrin.gif

Sorry, but Austin is surrounded by UT rejects. Bryan/College Station is where all the A&M rejects are.

I spent an hour on the Katy Freeway last week just trying to go 5 miles. And that was at 3:30 in the afternoon.

purple
QUOTE(Grelber @ May 23 2008, 10:49 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ May 23 2008, 10:46 AM) *

Sorry, but Austin is surrounded by UT rejects. Bryan/College Station is where all the A&M rejects are.

I spent an hour on the Katy Freeway last week just trying to go 5 miles. And that was at 3:30 in the afternoon.

it doesnt help that the katy fwy is under construction right now. people who live near it know how to get around it.

it'll be a 16 lane freeway when it's done.
purple
I forgot the best part....

You get to say 'yall' and nobody thinks you're crazy...

I have to say, when I moved to cali from colorado, everyone there thought i was a hick redneck, just because i'm from colorado. I'd lived in germany before and there was nothing hick about me.

They think that everyone from texas is a hick....

I have news....

the biggest hicks and rednecks and good ole boys i've ever met in my life... came from california's central valley. it's more bucolic in california than texas, better land for it. I'm sure west texas has plenty of ranches and such, but the rednecks in california are right up there with the ones from illinois/wisconsin (where my family's from)

I just dont get the texas image everyone thinks is out there. 10 gallon hats, shit-kickers, wrangler jeans, bolos, western shirts, etc. there is a place for that, it's the far west rodeo in san antonio, or the rodeo for 4 weeks out of the year at the reliant arena. other than that, houston is a metroplex just like say denver, chicago, or LA. I love it when people from the LA basin talk about houston traffic....
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ May 23 2008, 09:05 AM) *

I have to say, when I moved to cali from colorado, everyone there thought i was a hick redneck, just because i'm from colorado. I'd lived in germany before and there was nothing hick about me.

I have news....

the biggest hicks and rednecks and good ole boys i've ever met in my life... came from california's central valley. it's more bucolic in california than texas, better land for it. I'm sure west texas has plenty of ranches and such, but the rednecks in california are right up there with the ones from illinois/wisconsin (where my family's from)

I just dont get the texas image everyone thinks is out there. 10 gallon hats, shit-kickers, wrangler jeans, bolos, western shirts, etc. there is a place for that, it's the far west rodeo in san antonio, or the rodeo for 4 weeks out of the year at the reliant arena. other than that, houston is a metroplex just like say denver, chicago, or LA. I love it when people from the LA basin talk about houston traffic....

Typical "hick" response...

biggrin.gif
purple
QUOTE(ericread @ May 23 2008, 11:10 AM) *

QUOTE(purple @ May 23 2008, 09:05 AM) *

I have news....

Typical "hick" response...

biggrin.gif

You punk smile.gif

Get your struts yet?
SLITS
Ok, most of this has been a good joke .... Texans have no sense of humor ... but when I lived in Sugarland/Safford area:

1.) Heat and humidity was intense ... 98 degrees / 98% Humidity from February thru November.

2.) Influx of East Coasters, Northerners, etc., was nutz. They couldn't build the area up fast enough for the influx.

3.) They took away the natives' horses and gave them all Monte Carlos. If the "hicks" didn't like the way the loop was progresssing, they just drove off it.

4.) Rifle racks were outlawed in Harris County due to the gunfights on the flippin' freeways. It was a state law that you had to carry a 45 under the seat of your car and a six pack of Lone Star on the seat next to you.

5.) Houston had more corrupt police and judges than the entire rest of the country.

6.) Their "Blue Laws" to make everyone go to church were a fuchin' joke.

7.) You couldn't go outside until the freakin' sun went down to enjoy anything.

8.) The swimming pool water was hotter than the water I took a bath in.

9.) Texas women were for the most part beautiful .... until they opened their mouth and talked.

10.) The Chip Channel (note** they called it the Ship Channel) was so polluted even Satan could walk on water.

11.) Buildings were sinking in downtown Houston due to subsidence(?).

12.) The bugs were so numerous and large they would carry off small children and cattle. Flights of Love Bugs were really trippy.

13.) You could find the Judge in Anuyack(?), Tx (east of Baytown) either at the Gas Station, Pool Hall or home.

14.) In Rodgers, Tx, they hid the speed limit sign behind a bush and paid for a new radar setup for the only cop with revenue from the tickets.

15.) The Texas two-step was invented 'cause that's as high as they could count on fingers and toes.

16.) Billy Bobs in Fort Worth was a barn.

17.) In West Texas they planted community crops ... the wind blew so fierce that the seeds would blow from one field to the other and then back.

18.) Red dirt stains your socks , underwear and anything else it comes into contact with. Fortunately, chewing gum picks up the chunks you breathe and polishes your teeth (assuming you have any).

19.) Pearl was the dream beer from the Land Of A Thousand Latrines

20.) Luckenbock, Tx was a shit-hole and Waylon, Willie and the Boys never slept there.

21.) In Market Center (Dallas), the hookers would knock on your hotel room door at 9 PM looking for a date.

22.) The County Mounties all looked like Bueford T. Justice and talked the same way.

These are a few of my fond rememberances of Texas. Oh, by the way ... when I left Texas and crossed the line into New Mexico, I took the Texas Plates off my car and threw them back into Texas ... I then pissed on them from New Mexico.
purple
I give up...

the superiority complex of californians is just too much to handle for someone with their feet firmly planted on the ground.
stateofidleness
I like how people automatically associated "Texas" with the smallest, hole-in-the-wall cities we have... of course they're gonna be hick... every state has parts that they're ashamed of lol...

San Antonio is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, as well as Dallas/Fort Worth.

I work for a rather large grocery store chain in Texas doing surveillance and security ops, and I must say, Houston is one of our highest crime areas..

and the weather? summers are hot, winters are hot.. works for me

"9.) Texas women were for the most part beautiful .... until they opened their mouth and talked." ... you mean "spoke" wink.gif irony?

TROJANMAN

Yer tellin me?

Didn't Bakersfield secede from Texas?
ericread
QUOTE(purple @ May 23 2008, 10:16 AM) *

I give up...

the superiority complex of californians is just too much to handle for someone with their feet firmly planted on the ground.

Oops, the struts haven't arrived yet (maybe I should be nicer until they do???

But in all seriousness, with your experience of living in Texas and other locals, you have to admit, living in Texas really does suck doesn't it? biggrin.gif

Or do you have the audacity to tell us all that SLITS 22-point list is somehow flawed???

Come on, fess up. Nobody will judge you for telling the truth. happy11.gif
purple
texas doesnt suck overall. every place has its ups and downs. It's a nice place and as far as state pride is concerned...we joined the union as a seperate country, therefore our flag is the only one in the nation that can be flown at the same height as the US flag.
purple
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ May 23 2008, 12:22 PM) *

I like how people automatically associated "Texas" with the smallest, hole-in-the-wall cities we have... of course they're gonna be hick... every state has parts that they're ashamed of lol...

San Antonio is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, as well as Dallas/Fort Worth.

I work for a rather large grocery store chain in Texas doing surveillance and security ops, and I must say, Houston is one of our highest crime areas..

"9.) Texas women were for the most part beautiful .... until they opened their mouth and talked." ... you mean "spoke" wink.gif irony?

haha, you're LP for Howard E. Butt's stores?

here, everything's better laugh.gif

I like shopping those stores, and in san antonio, you HAVE to. everyone else is gone. houston has kroger, randalls, and your place. I like yours the best.. biggrin.gif You must live off of fredericksburg road if you work at their LP center, isnt corporate down Fred'sburg? or did they move it since i left SA

I used to live right behind USAA myself
stateofidleness
at the Arsenal Downtown.
and yep, that's my boss smile.gif

our fred rd. location is actually being moved downtown as well to the old "Cypress Tower".

we're growin'!!!
xperu
QUOTE(purple @ May 23 2008, 01:54 PM) *

QUOTE(stateofidleness @ May 23 2008, 12:22 PM) *

I live in the Houston area and work in Houston, I live in League City south of Houston, this area is booming and the housing prices are very good. There is also a lot of new development on the west wide of Houston (Katy area). Down side is the heat and humidly in the summer (Like south Florida) and being a transplanted Californian there are no mountains in this area of Texas which I really miss. Houston is a progressive and modern city, but still has some southern charm, the unemplyment is very low in theprofessional realm, companies are paying high finder fees for Engineers. No state tax, but school tax is high; this area offers some of the best colleges and universities in the U.S. and some of the best medicals centers in the world. If you’re a sports guy, this is the place to live. Mike
haha, you're LP for Howard E. Butt's stores?

here, everything's better laugh.gif

I like shopping those stores, and in san antonio, you HAVE to. everyone else is gone. houston has kroger, randalls, and your place. I like yours the best.. biggrin.gif You must live off of fredericksburg road if you work at their LP center, isnt corporate down Fred'sburg? or did they move it since i left SA

I used to live right behind USAA myself

ericread
QUOTE(purple @ May 23 2008, 11:51 AM) *

texas doesnt suck overall. every place has its ups and downs. It's a nice place and as far as state pride is concerned...we joined the union as a seperate country, therefore our flag is the only one in the nation that can be flown at the same height as the US flag.

I hope you know I'm joking. I've spent a lot of time in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Brownsville, South Padre Island) and each has it's upsides and it's downsides. But nothing has the true beauty of Midland (now I'm really kidding! mad.gif )

The fun part is that Californians and Texans are all so self centered, it makes a great spectator sport to watch them argue over which is better biggrin.gif

Not that people from other states are any better, they're just usally not as loud.

It's just lucky for all of you that I am 100% fair and impartial. So when I say Californai's better, you can all trust me... happy11.gif
Grelber
I was born and raised just north of Bakersfield, and I've lived here in North Texas for 25 years. Damn, I sure feel at home here.

And BTW, I'd rather be here than there. biggrin.gif
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ericread @ May 23 2008, 12:31 PM) *

I hope you know I'm joking. I've spent a lot of time in Texas (Austin, San Antonio, Houston, Brownsville, South Padre Island) and each has it's upsides and it's downsides. But nothing has the true beauty of Midland (now I'm really kidding! mad.gif )

The fun part is that Californians and Texans are all so self centered, it makes a great spectator sport to watch them argue over which is better biggrin.gif

Not that people from other states are any better, they're just usally not as loud.

It's just lucky for all of you that I am 100% fair and impartial. So when I say Californai's better, you can all trust me... happy11.gif

biggrin.gif agree.gif
BKLA
QUOTE(Carlitos Way @ May 22 2008, 05:08 PM) *

Yer tellin me?

We could consider California and Texas two cheeks of the same butt... of the nation's jokes poke.gif

But... what would that mean for the people in between?

I read thru this entire thread and nobody.... Drumroll please.... NOBODY took advantage of this comment!?!? WTF!

OK - Here it is....

If California and Texas are the two cheeks of the same butt, what does that make the people in between?

bootyshake.gif

wait for it....

sad.gif

A little more....

smile.gif

Figure it out yet....

biggrin.gif

A$$HOLES! (Or Arizonians depending on your point of view.... OK Yuma specifically....)

laugh.gif

Sorry - SOMEBODY had to do it! smile.gif
stateofidleness
i think the punchline was implied wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.