Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sump tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeff
Hello ,im new to your site but ive been reading it for a while and ill say you all seem like very nice people .Anyhow my question is that im doing a dry sump tank/oil cooler in the front trunk of my 914 does anyone have experience with the tank being so far away from the engine? This will be a street/timetrial type car .Is the stock oil pump good enough to overcome the friction loss of the lines and provide adequate oil supply to the engine?
SirAndy
is it a 4 or a 6?
don't know much about 6es (or 4s <_< ) but you can get oil pumps for the T4 (stock location) that flow more oil.
the sump is usually close to the engine and you run a thermostat that blocks off/opens the flow to the oil cooler depending on the temperature.

Andy
steve@ottosvenice.com
Why do you just buy a stock tank from us and do it the proper way. Steve
Hawktel
Gawd we got him fooled.

smilie_pokal.gif
J P Stein
You are right, we are all very nice.....except for that pig Zois. confused24.gif
john rogers
One who mounts the tank in the front is Jim Patrick (web site) and he seems to have no problems. On both my four and now the six the tank is close to the engine and the suction line on the six is only about 12 inches long. A typical dry sump system is a lot of time and $$$$ and to put one really right will require something like: External multi stage oil pump, braided lines to/from front cooler, oil tank, breather tank, external filter(s) and a sump suction for the engine. You may or may not want to use a thermostat since it does heat the oil quicker. For pumps look at Autocraft or Pauter, braided lines and adapters look at Racer Parts Wholesale, for oil tanks/breathers try Unique Metal Products and coolers try Earl's. The total cost is a shock. Good luck
mightyohm
Don't most people run front mounted coolers? What about on 4's? Seems like you'd have similar problems as a front mounted oil tank.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 22 2004, 11:50 AM)
Don't most people run front mounted coolers? What about on 4's? Seems like you'd have similar problems as a front mounted oil tank.

yupp, front cooler and sump are two different things tho.

the sump is supposed to prevent yer engine from starving of oil while you push it hard (yes, some people don't just drive in a straight line!).
the front cooler is to, well, cool the oil. a front cooler should always be used with a thermostat to help the engine to get up to operating temp.

i'm planning on adding a front cooler (even tho the engine doesn't run very hot yet) and use the right size lines to be able to go to a /6 later ...
that'll add plenty of oil to the system.
Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.