Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chrome Emblems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kconway
Sorry to say I know nothing about the chrome process, what materials can and can't be chromed...that said. Can the 914 and 2.0 metallic emblems found on the rear of the 914 be chromed?

This one -->
Click to view attachment

Kev
r_towle
yes they can, but it would be cheaper to buy new ones I think.

Rich
TravisNeff
as long as it conducts electricity, you should be fine.
kconway
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 22 2008, 04:57 PM) *

yes they can, but it would be cheaper to buy new ones I think.

Rich

C'mon Rich...you know they NEVER made a chrome (I mean silvery) emblem...
biggrin.gif
r_towle
plastic can be chromed, so can white metal (what they are made from) honestly I never paid attention....it never was chromed???

I swear I saw them in a catalog...maybe automotion or AA...all chromed.

Rich
dw914er
didnt they only come in black and gold? (gold being the older ones, and black the 73+ ones?)
kconway
QUOTE(dw914er @ May 22 2008, 05:17 PM) *

didnt they only come in black and gold? (gold being the older ones, and black the 73+ ones?)

That's what they say over in Pat's CW forum...

Question is, should I spring for a new gold (metal) emblem or a used one to have it chromed? The one I've got the pins on the back are a little worn, prolly shouldn't matter though?
Todd Enlund
Metal emblems can be chromed, plastic ones can be vacuum metalized. Don't send plastic to a chrome shop.
dw914er
QUOTE(kconway @ May 22 2008, 06:31 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ May 22 2008, 05:17 PM) *

That's what they say over in Pat's CW forum...

Question is, should I spring for a new gold (metal) emblem or a used one to have it chromed? The one I've got the pins on the back are a little worn, prolly shouldn't matter though?

yea, was just trying to remember why chrome wouldnt have been in the catelog.

I would go new (gold). It will probably look cleaner than making chrome looking ones.
Joe Bob
Use stickers....otherwise there's always some douche nozzle with a screw driver that will want it....
kconway
One other thought would be anodize just like the rest of the trim,
my P O R S C H E lettering on the engine deck lid and this...
Click to view attachment
My silvery hood emblem. Maybe the chrome might be a little too much bling, the clear anodize is little more subdued. blink.gif
Rand
Me likes 'em shaved. tongue.gif No emblems at all.

But on topic, I'm not a fan of chrome. As to gold vs. black, I would say it depends on the color of the car. My personal opinion, gold looks better on dark colors, black on light colors. But it's a taste thing.
championgt1
QUOTE(Rand @ May 22 2008, 10:38 PM) *

Me likes 'em shaved. tongue.gif No emblems at all.

But on topic, I'm not a fan of chrome. As to gold vs. black, I would say it depends on the color of the car. My personal opinion, gold looks better on dark colors, black on light colors. But it's a taste thing.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.