Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tuning Weber 34ICT's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justme
First time carb guy, sorry all you FI fans. I finally got tired of NLA.

Got my Weber's on, fuel pump et...

Run well, responds well to throttle up & down the rpm range...

One issue. When shifting through the gears the rev's stay up, not quite racing but feels like it's doing an overrun... Can't be good for mileage.

The motor is a stock 1.7 w/ a 009 dizzy

Cable and linkage move freely and in sync

I know the advance on these 009's suck, could it be the dizzy or does it sound like a carb adjustment?

I can't wait to get this straight as I'm quite happy with the whole project, love looking at the top of the motor! smile.gif

Thanks beerchug.gif
purple
sounds like your linkage may need some attention to make sure its moving freely. Also, the geometry of your throttle cable to your linkage bar could be off. it's bare mm's that make that setup from rough to smooth... It sounds like when my throttle cable didnt pull straight on my linkage bar, mine would do the same thing. you could try adding a return spring, but that makes the pedal feel crappy to me.
Jake Raby
I'd say the idle speed is too high.. What RPM does the engine idle at prior to shut down???
r_towle
Three things come to mind...well four...

Carb linkage is binding.
the carbs are not on the same plane, so the drop links are also not on the same plane. you may need standoffs to eliminate the binding.

Throttle return spring missing, or to weak.
You need a main throttle return spring at the link piece that attaches to the throttle cable. You cant rely on just the carb springs to move the heavy linkage back...especially if its binding.

Timing is not right...
Check timing and dwell.

Dizzy advance plates are dirty.
Remove, clean and re-grease,....cost 0.05 and does wonders for a car that wont come back to idle quickly... (even if its new...)

rich
rhodyguy
back one of the idlespeed ajust screws off its stop and see if the idle falls down. if not, leave it off stop and go to the other side and turn the other screw down. what happens?
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

What size webers? 34ic't, 40's, or 44's. Not to clear in your post. Dave slap.gif

(edit) Heck if i would have read your post title i would have had my ans. ( Senior

moment ).

That being said I have had a very nice adjusted set of 34'd on my 1.7

I was very dissatisfied with them, wouldn't get out of it's own way. Very poor

excelleration and you needed a lot room to pullout to cross any road,they ran out

of ass about 60mph ,you need a lot of room to pass at highway speed. My

recomendation is to sell them to someone with a 1600 cc V.W. and get youself a

set of 40 IDF's . My 2 cents Dave slap.gif

justme
QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 24 2008, 05:35 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

What size webers? 34ic't, 40's, or 44's. Not to clear in your post. Dave slap.gif

Thanks for all the responces! I'll go thru everthing again this weekend hopefully, and let you know if linkage et has fixed everything. The idle is at about 1K off the tack. Have the timing set @ 5degrees BTD at idle.

Thanks piratenanner.gif
justme
Fogot to mention Dave, 34ICT's!

Cheers!
justme
QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 24 2008, 05:35 AM) *

smilie_pokal.gif

(edit) Heck if i would have read your post title i would have had my ans. ( Senior

moment ).

That being said I have had a very nice adjusted set of 34'd on my 1.7

I was very dissatisfied with them, wouldn't get out of it's own way. Very poor

excelleration and you needed a lot room to pullout to cross any road,they ran out

of ass about 60mph ,you need a lot of room to pass at highway speed. My

recomendation is to sell them to someone with a 1600 cc V.W. and get youself a

set of 40 IDF's . My 2 cents Dave slap.gif

Hi dave,

Seems to pull about as nice as the D-Jet. Lot's of hills and it pulls better than the injection going up steep hills. I wanted to try the 34's because it's my first time with carbs and thought they'd be easier to tune. Also wanted to see if I could push some major MPG!
I have a set of Dell 36's and a set of Weber 40's and am building a 1911 with cam & compression to throw more gas at!
I did turn back the idle a bit (800-900) and did a quarter turn on the idle mixturs and it seemed to eliminate the problem.
Thanks for all the input everyone and have a great Memorial Day, thanks to all who served! flag.gif

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.