Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NEWBIE WITH Q's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bangingears
Hello, My names Adam, for years I have wanted a 914 and, low and behold I believe this is the year ill be getting one! I know I want a street legal go cart, I have several years of experience building type 1 motors, and this is why i chose this car (similarity...however more ?'s on that later)..... i figure for suspension I am going to do the following
Front sway bar
Koni sport shocks with rubber bump stops
Rebel racing rear coil overs
Tangerine racing chassis stiffin kit
and build a full cage for Chassis Rigidity.

here is where I feel alittle out of the loop.... i did alot of research and from 3 different machine shops, recieved three different answers.... one... said all 1.7 1.8 and 2.0 cases are the SAME...and interchange parts (i know they are wrong... the bore size on each case is different) second said, the cases are the same, however the 1.7 and 1.8 ONLY need cylinder bore inlarged... and the third said all 3 cases where different. So wats the real answer????

And FInally.... where do you guys go for performance parts? I.E, counterweight cranks, rods, pistons, valves? Porting? ... whats the best performance shop to go to?

Please if you can help at all please share your opinion.

thank you!
r_towle
The 914 motor came in three sizes.
the 2.0 liter has a 71mm stroked crankshaft.
the 1.8 liter and 1.7 liter have a 66mm crankshaft.

The outer dimension of the cylinders for each 1.7, 1.8, and 2.0 liter are all the same size. No case machine work is needed for stock cylinder swaps. Because the crank sizes are different, the pin height on the 1.7 and 1.8 liter pistons is different than the 2.0 liter pistons. The rod length is also different.

You can take the internals, 2.0 liter crank, rods, pistons, and cylinders and put them into any of the three cases and they will fit. You need to match the proper pin height, with the piston and crank to have the correct geometry in the motor.

Many of the standard vendors will have parts.

Engines
Raby's aircooled technologies.
FAT performance

Camshafts
Web Cam
Elgin camshafts

Crankshafts
DPR

Machine work
HAM (hoffman machining)
Headflow masters
Rimco

You will find pistons and cylinder sets, along with crankshafts on ebay frequently from a specific vendor called AA. These are cheaper than most parts out there, but may have tolerance issues and not match in size.
These are usable provided the vendor has a return policy and allows you to go through the process of swapping one piston and cylinder at a time until you have a complete set that are within spec.

Good luck, keep asking questions.
There are a several other forums that have alot of data.

Forums
Shop Talk Forums (STF)
Jake Raby forums (aircooled technology)
Pelican Parts forum

A great read all about type 4 motors, and alot of technical data.
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/

You will recieve many opinions on engine designs, but you should start your search with the end purpose of the car in mind..what do you want to do with the car (besides build it) because that will really drive your engine design and transmission design to allow you to really succeed.

Rich
Carlitos Way
I think you just about covered it all!
davep
The case registers for the cylinders are the same. The 1.7 heads have a smaller cylinder register than the 1.8 & 2.0 heads. Essentially, all 914/4 engine cases are fully interchangeable. Very early cases for the 1.7 did not have internal ribs for the windage tray. I know the 2.0 cases have smaller supports under the cylinder registers, but I don't know if this applies to the 1.7 & 1.8 cases built at the same time. This makes no difference in how the case can be used.
Oh yeah, Jake @ Air Cooled Technology can provide a solution for your requirements. His parts are designed to be compatible with the other parts.
bangingears
thanks guys.. i am stoked on this project! i have build several 160hp t1's in the same size range 1900cc-2110, i figure a 2056 will provide me with enough power.
bangingears
what size webers are all you guys running? ik now i use to run 48 IDA's on agressive camed bugs... what do you guys recommend
Gint
Looks like most of it's been covered. Except this... welcome.png

Any TypeIV under 2056 doesn't need more than a set of 40IDF's. Generally speaking anyway... Buy a 914 yet? Wait until you can get in and rip around in it whenever you want. driving.gif
bangingears
I am selling my full built race bike and getting one asap... i also like the fact some guys are gettin 20mpg LOL WOHOOO,t hanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!
dw914er
QUOTE(bangingears @ May 25 2008, 01:24 AM) *

I am selling my full built race bike and getting one asap... i also like the fact some guys are gettin 20mpg LOL WOHOOO,t hanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!

29 according to porsche biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.